Why the Sox should NOT trade for Sean Manaea

VAfan

The problem with Manaea is that he's a globally pitching that would be leaving Oakland for a ballpark where being a flyball pitcher is risky.

While cease and lucas had the lowest ground ball rate amongst qualified pitchers last year, they also strike out a ton of guys - although manaea k rate spiked last year. Manaea had the 13rd lowest rate in baseball, which isn't an inherently bad thing (tons of elite arms are fly ball heavy) but it's something to consider when acquiring an Oakland arm. 

Edit: this was also a concern of mine regarding gausman. San Fran a fly ball pitchers heaven and he throws a ton of fly balls.

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run

The time to win is now. This club needs another starter, especially given developments on the Meat front. Who cares about 2026 at this point? Let us be 'fleeced' we have the worst farm system in baseball. Send Vaughn back to Berkeley...

9 minutes ago, shago said:

The time to win is now. This club needs another starter, especially given developments on the Meat front. Who cares about 2026 at this point? Let us be 'fleeced' we have the worst farm system in baseball. Send Vaughn back to Berkeley...

I agree, but if the Sox give up Vaughn, I think Montas is realistic and preferable. He has better stuff and 2 years of control. In the meantime, sign Detwiler for depth. I'll also say that, even if Lynn does not go on the IL, the Sox need to add starters. Injuries are too frequent to count on starters being healthy all year. The Sox need a lot more depth in the rotation.

Edited by Lillian

4 minutes ago, Lillian said:

I agree, but if the Sox give up Vaughn, I think Montas is realistic and preferable. He has better stuff and 2 years of control. In the meantime, sign Detwiler for depth.

Well, he is left handed.  Feel like Goodwin or Hamilton are next.

8 minutes ago, Whisox05 said:

Well, odds are 1000% they now trade Paddack and/or Manaea to the Mets to get rid of Hosmer and pick up Smith, with Voit moving from DH to 1B.

Padres are also four catchers deep.

These are the kind of moves the Sox can't pull off because we once again have to trade from the MLB roster and create additional holes that have to be filled with more expensive veteran players.

Right now, SD has 10-11 starters.

Darvish, Musgrove, Snell, Clevinger, Manaea, N.Martinez, Paddack, Lamet, Gore, Weathers, Morejon (surgery)

https://mobile.twitter.com/MZimmel/status/1510633617722163209?ref_src=twsrc^google|twcamp^serp|twgr^tweet

#Padres saw the landscape of the NL West and knew they couldn’t head into this season without continuing to add depth to the rotation. Now they get a fringe AS LHP and a healthy Mike Clevinger to join Darvish, Snell, and Musgrove. Smart move by AJ Preller.

Edited by caulfield12

Just to clarify, for this board, for the upteenth time: I am not obsessed with "all things left handed". I have always merely recognized that recent Sox' rosters have been far too heavily weighted toward RH hitters. That fact has now become widely recognized and few question it. When it comes to handedness of pitchers, I don't really care much whether they're right handers, or southpaws. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Lillian said:

Just to clarify, for this board, for the upteenth time: I am not obsessed with "all things left handed". I have always merely recognized that recent Sox' rosters have been far too heavily weighted toward RH hitters. That fact has now become widely recognized and few question it. When it comes to handedness of pitchers, I don't really care much whether they're right handers, or southpaws. 

Oops, sorry.

And can we please limit the next VaFan optimistic thread for at least one week passing passing by without another calamity, first?