Lance Lynn has slight tendon tear, 4 weeks no throwing off mound

Heads22

1 minute ago, ptatc said:

You can tell when it's that severe. It does happen but most often they bring the cart out.

Isn't it possible that he tore his meniscus? I'd imagine it would be a minor tear. But theoretically he could opt to get it repaired instead of removed, which has 2-3 month recovery?

1 minute ago, ron883 said:

Isn't it possible that he tore his meniscus? I'd imagine it would be a minor tear. But theoretically he could opt to get it repaired instead of removed, which has 2-3 month recovery?

It is possible. 

The recovery for the surgery is the opposite.  For a partial meniscectomy where they remove part if it, the recovery is 8 weeks or so. If they repair it, there is a period of non-weight bearing because the healing is so poor due to the lack of blood supply. This is around a 9-12 month recovery 

5 minutes ago, Polar Bear said:

This has been a long lingering knee discomfort that Lynn has dealt with and will have to deal with the rest of his career

Given his age and the fact thats it lingering, I'd imagine he has something like patellar tendinitis. 

Highly doubtful its a patella tendinopathy.  That doesn't show up with an impact injury like we saw today.

Although it is possible.

Edited by ptatc

Just now, ptatc said:

Highly doubtful its a patella tendinopathy.  That doesn't show up with an impact injury like we saw today.

I mean if it was bothering him for a bit during the game and then he couldn't take it anymore it would look about how that last pitch did.  I didn't watch the game though, just that pitch.  

Announcers made it seem like it was building, thats what I was going off of, not that it was a sudden injury that came out of no where on that pitch 

16 minutes ago, Polar Bear said:

I mean if it was bothering him for a bit during the game and then he couldn't take it anymore it would look about how that last pitch did.  I didn't watch the game though, just that pitch.  

Announcers made it seem like it was building, thats what I was going off of, not that it was a sudden injury that came out of no where on that pitch 

Patellar Tendinitis. 3-4 months. 

no doubt 

1 hour ago, ptatc said:

Patella Tendinopathy would not be 3-4 months. 2-3 on the most conservative.

1 hour ago, StateStSports said:

Patellar Tendinitis. 3-4 months. 

no doubt 

A challenger has stepped into the ring… attempting to take the title of Resident Physical Therapist from our reigning Champion. 

Edited by hi8is
  • Haha 1

I can't imagine it being a torn acl or mcl. I tore both in November and I wasn't interested in putting any weight on it for 30 minutes. And even then it was gingerly. Any other knee injuries are beyond my experience, but I'd be more surprised than Chris Rock when Will Smith slapped the shit out of him if it's a torn mcl or acl.

1 hour ago, HeHatesShe said:

I can't imagine it being a torn acl or mcl. I tore both in November and I wasn't interested in putting any weight on it for 30 minutes. And even then it was gingerly. Any other knee injuries are beyond my experience, but I'd be more surprised than Chris Rock when Will Smith slapped the shit out of him if it's a torn mcl or acl.

Unfortunately until the scans it is hard to know, I am a football (soccer) fan here in the UK and have seen player walk off after a knee injury but then it turns out worse than expected and equally seen them stretchered off but be back in a few weeks. There are different levels of tear to the acl or mcl but even if it is 'only' an ongoing soreness problem it is not a good sign going in to the season and is a warning that relying on Lynn to last the full season would be reckless, another 1-3 SP is needed asap.

7 hours ago, StateStSports said:

Vince V is our 3rd starter!  Woo

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/v/velasvi01.shtml

Remarkably consistent F+ in the league where there’s no DH since 2017.

Ranges from 66 to 91, except ending with last year’s 47 in SD.  One year at 101 in 2016.

Hahn Special.

Pinning a big chunk of salary at his age was always going to be a questionable decision…especially with Giolito at best 50/50 to stay, and now more like 25/75 to go.

Katz will REALLY earn his money this year.

Edited by caulfield12

Just as kind of a fyi for people, ACL requirements are different for different people and activities.  A surgeon friend of mine completely tore his in high school. Never repaired. Ski’s double blacks every winter. Small subset of population maintains stability without it. In no way suggesting that is the case or advocating not fixing just information. 

Well, as I was saying; "We need to add a #2, or #3 starter".....correction, now we probably will need to add two starters, one for depth and one for the top half of the rotation, who would pitch in the Post Season. I hate to say it, but the Sox are going to have to part with someone we like, in order to get this done, unless there is still someone out there, who is unsigned. I understand Detwiler is available.  If he's stretched out, he might provide some depth, for the back end of the rotation. Not a very inspiring suggestion, but indicative of how desperate things look.

I still suspect that Vaughn is the only player that would be attractive enough to get at least one of those two needed starters. Who else is worth considering and who could Hahn get for Vaughn? Maybe the biggest question is; How many starters does a team, with Post Season aspirations, need?  Is it 8, or 9?  In this era of baseball, pitchers are all so prone to injuries. Yes, I know, they throw harder now and employing extreme spin rates puts tremendous stress on the arm. Nevertheless, it is really hard to get used to the way so many end up on the IL, when an old timer remembers guys pitching every 4 days, going 9 innings and remarkably, having long careers, without surgery. I remember the real Tommy John and his first historic operation.  

Edited by Lillian

• Heads22 changed the title to Lance Lynn has slight tendon tear, 4 weeks no throwing off mound