Lance Lynn has slight tendon tear, 4 weeks no throwing off mound

Heads22

4 minutes ago, ptatc said:

Bummer, Heuer.

I’m assuming they meant starters…

And Rodon, of course, which doesn’t help the Sox much about right now.

Quintana we can’t really take credit for since he was with the Yankees and Mets, pretty sure just a couple of AA starts…so give that credit to the minor league scouting group and/or Cooper.

Edited by caulfield12

The Sox still have major issues in their player development system, but I don't think it's fair to classify someone like Kopech or Cease not as HG considering they didn't come to the Sox as anything close to finished products. The same could also apply to Lucas, but I think all of his improvement came from working under Katz.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

I’m assuming they meant starters…

And Rodon, of course, which doesn’t help the Sox much about right now.

Quintana we can’t really take credit for since he was with the Yankees and Mets, pretty sure just a couple of AA starts…so give that credit to the minor league scouting group and/or Cooper.

All of Quintana's improvement, development, etc came with the Sox. It doesn't make sense to discount that because he was a minor league FA (I think?) instead of a draft pick or international signing.

Edited by maxjusttyped
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, maxjusttyped said:

The Sox still have major issues in their player development system, but I don't think it's fair to classify someone like Kopech or Cease not as HG considering they didn't come to the Sox as anything close to finished products. The same could also apply to Lucas, but I think all of his improvement came from working under Katz.

The major point, just like with the Cubs…drafting and development of pitchers in the June draft.

Of course, the Cease trade was a killer for Epstein.

Without the Big 3 trades and one fortunate decision of Luis Robert (thanks largely to the Cuban Connection), this franchise rebuild would have been truly mired in mediocrity.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Tony said:

You know who would be soooooo sick right now? 

Carlos Rodon.

Too bad the Sox couldn't acquire him just for the year, and not have to make any long-term investment in him. 

It was such an obvious move. So stupid. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, maxjusttyped said:

This year is going to be a big test.  The Sox actually have some talented arms in the lower minors between Thompson, Dalquist, Kelley, Burke, & Vera.  They represent a sizable portion of our total investment in the draft and international free agency in recent years.  If we don’t see some promising signs out of that group this year then it’s time to start questioning whether Getz should be overseeing our player development system or not.

15 minutes ago, maxjusttyped said:

That’s totally fair.  I’m my head I don’t consider them home grown but they did develop quite a bit after they were acquired.  Definitely feels like a dearth of quality since they graduated to the bigs though. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, GREEDY said:

Any word on which surgeon will lance Lynn?

also

At least we already know what Lance sitting around doing nothing for 4-8 weeks will do to his body.  

It will only be 2 weeks of sitting around. Then the rehab will start and throwing at 4 weeks. 

9 minutes ago, FoxForce2 said:

Four weeks no throwing which translates to six -eight weeks no pitching. OK, got it.

I think it will be earlier than that. He should be pitching by 4. Building up his arm and he should rejoin the team at 8.

• Like 1

I think it will be earlier than that. He should be pitching by 4. Building up his arm and he should rejoin the team at 8.

This is arthroscopic surgery right? Minor surgery or not, do you really expect Lynn back in full form before the AS break? Or even after.

Color me pessimistic on this one.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, FoxForce2 said:

This is arthroscopic surgery right? Minor surgery or not, do you really expect Lynn back in full form before the AS break? Or even after.

Color me pessimistic on this one.

No if its what I think it is, it's not part of the joint so a scope won't work. It will be a small incision for the excision though. That's why Grandal was able to return in 6 weeks, I believe. Lynn will take a little longer to get his arm ready again with 2 weeks off.

1 hour ago, caulfield12 said:

Without the Big 3 trades and one fortunate decision of Luis Robert (thanks largely to the Cuban Connection), this franchise rebuild would have been truly mired in mediocrity.

Yeah, if you don’t count 80% of the rotation and a third of the lineup, we would probably be struggling. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Fire 3

No if its what I think it is, it's not part of the joint so a scope won't work. It will be a small incision for the excision though. That's why Grandal was able to return in 6 weeks, I believe. Lynn will take a little longer to get his arm ready again with 2 weeks off.

You're a lot smarter about this stuff than I am. Right now we have so many 'we'll sees' going on that it's difficult to see the path ahead.

Just now, FoxForce2 said:

You're a lot smarter about this stuff than I am. Right now we have so many 'we'll sees' going on that it's difficult to see the path ahead.

No doubt. Its an odd injury as I said. This is just my best guess obviously as they didn't give an exact diagnosis. 

On 4/2/2022 at 10:39 PM, ron883 said:

I absolutely hated that trade from the start. Pilkington was having a great year and scouting reports said his stuff was looking good. Just mind boggling. 

At the time, the trade was fine. Then, as seems to be a theme for everyone except Tepera, he came to the Sox and got considerably worse. Most of his rate stats stayed extremely consistent, but the dude lost all of his power. Went from 37 XBH in 96 games with Cleveland to a measly 7 XBH in 53 games with the Sox. Even Madrigal outslugged Cesar with 16 XBH in nearly the exact same amount of games and PA's with the Sox in 2021.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

At the time, the trade was fine. Then, as seems to be a theme for everyone except Tepera, he came to the Sox and got considerably worse. Most of his rate stats stayed extremely consistent, but the dude lost all of his power. Went from 37 XBH in 96 games with Cleveland to a measly 7 XBH in 53 games with the Sox. Even Madrigal outslugged Cesar with 16 XBH in nearly the exact same amount of games and PA's with the Sox in 2021.

Considering how erratic the outfield was, the Sox needed to at least lock down the infield on ground balls. By just about every metric, Cesar should have fit the bill. However, besides the drop off at the plate he looked as if he were mailing it in at 2nd. It was strange - if nothing else, he should have been motivated by playing on a contender and having the stage to showcase his abilities to teams he actually wanted to be on. That trade alone painted the Sox into a corner, the paint of which hasn't dried yet.

Edited by FoxForce2

7 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

Don't count your chickens before they are hatched with Kopech and Lopez.

I actually wasn’t even talking about Lopez. Giolito, Cease, Kopech, and Lynn (via Dunning).

But now that you mention it, if Lopez starts in place of Lynn and performs better than Keuchel, we could have a situation when Lynn returns where the entire starting rotation is a result of the big 3 trades. 

8 hours ago, SoxBlanco said:

Yeah, if you don’t count 80% of the rotation and a third of the lineup, we would probably be struggling. 

The Cubs, Royals and Astros started off their rebuilds basically with Lester/Baez and Jose Altuve…not to mention we also had Rodon, Anderson and Abreu.  The percentage of core pieces added by the draft is far and away the lowest of the four with the White Sox.  Ten members of the roster now are 30+, including a number in their mid-30’s already. 

We better hope the Indians decide to muddle through the next 2-3 years instead of a firesale…or they’re going to end up as the best team in baseball 4-5 years from now depending on how advanced the young pieces they get back are.

Edited by caulfield12

16 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

The Cubs, Royals and Astros started off their rebuilds basically with Lester/Baez and Jose Altuve…not to mention we also had Rodon, Anderson and Abreu.  The percentage of core pieces added by the draft is far and away the lowest of the four with the White Sox.  Ten members of the roster now are 30+, including a number in their mid-30’s already. 

We better hope the Indians decide to muddle through the next 2-3 years instead of a firesale…or they’re going to end up as the best team in baseball 4-5 years from now depending on how advanced the young pieces they get back are.

Huh? What core pieces did the cubs add through the draft other than Bryant? And don’t give me Babe Schwarber, the guy they non-tendered a couple years ago..

On 4/2/2022 at 8:24 PM, maxjusttyped said:

Pilkington making the Guardians OD roster on the same day Lynn gets hurt with no depth behind him reinforces what a disaster the trade deadline was

You are so right ! Pilkington for 1/2 season of Cesar Hernandez and not willing or able to muster up whatever Oakland wanted for Manaea  which was some pitching and minor league shortstops that are always in demand. The Sox should have learned that lesson when Tatis was traded.

I don't want to root for Pilkington to bomb. I hope he has a great career. Just saying the same guys in charge of rebuilding were the same guys who couldn't get trades for MLB talent right before. Even with the international market they play the older prospects game just like they play the older MLB guys in trades.

I really wish I could see more positives but Collins being traded leaves us with Vaughn, Burger among our 1st round high picks and Sheets who was a 2nd rounder . So the draft has yet to play a huge part in the rebuild.

• Heads22 changed the title to Lance Lynn has slight tendon tear, 4 weeks no throwing off mound