Lance Lynn has slight tendon tear, 4 weeks no throwing off mound

Heads22

13 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

In what world was a White Sox "need" in 2021 at the TDL a starting pitcher? Who in their right mind would have argued that? 

The Sox had 4 starters in the top 20 in baseball in WAR. The Sox were never going to acquire a SP who was going to pitch in the playoffs. It wouldn't have made any sense. FOUR of the TOP 20 starters in baseball. Their strength failed in the playoffs, so they lost. The Braves got production from a bunch of bums, and saw their bullpen (who were middle of the pack 14-16th in all of baseball) dominate. There was no logic or rhyme/reason to the Braves title and it certainly shouldn't be a barometer for which the Sox front office builds around:

"be one of the worst teams in the playoffs and get lucky!"

I have no idea what you're asking me based on the quote you quoted from me. The thing you quoted was talking about how the Braves "got" lucky. It's funny how the Braves got lucky in your mind but the Sox were stupid to make the trade for Kimbrel but you give no credit for the Braves for being smart.

4 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

All three teams among the Astro's, Braves and Cubs did it in different ways. The Sox got it right at the beginning because they got a lot of good young talent. That talent has been inconsistent due to injuries, Covid regression or what have you. They signed free agents Grandal and Hendriks to address needs. Hahns strength has never been trading for pieces for the betterment of the team. I don't know if its their pro scouting or lack of analytics or what. I'm not behind the scenes. I'm just commenting on how things are currently developing based on a series of observations on how the club was run in the past.

The Braves either got lucky or were smart in making the trades they did to advance to where they were and put them over the top in a year that wasn't going well. They also had 2 well paid superstars in Freeman and Acuna. The Sox got unlucky or were dumb in 2021 at the TDL and without $100M superstars.

The Cubs spent a ton of money on Heyward and Lester. The Sox don't do that.

The Astros drafted well and their 2017 middling payroll had great young players who were making nothing and still had a decent farm system ( Correa, Springer, Bregman Altuve) which allowed them to trade for Verlander who put them over the top. The Sox payroll is high , their farm is barren and our position players do not have the defensive capabilities with the combined bats of Bregman. Altuve, Springer and Correa.

The Cubs spending money on Heyward should not be considered a positive. 

What is wrong with not spending big money on FA when the team has already spent much more than the Cubs did on their payroll.

The Sox did it differently than the other 2 by spending big in international players, Abreu and Robert while also making good trades Giolito, Cease, Jimenez,  Moncada Kopech and Pollock. They also spent money and gave big contracts to fill holes with Hendriks and Grandal.

I fail to see why the fact that they didn't do it like everyone else did means they are a failure and can't get them to the next level.

3 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I have no idea what you're asking me based on the quote you quoted from me. The thing you quoted was talking about how the Braves "got" lucky. It's funny how the Braves got lucky in your mind but the Sox were stupid to make the trade for Kimbrel but you give no credit for the Braves for being smart.

You implied the Sox didn't identify their needs and acquire them which led to their demise. Hence how I pointed out the demise of the Sox in 2021 playoffs was due to the performance from a unit that was never identied as being of need.

2 minutes ago, ptatc said:

What is wrong with not spending big money on FA when the team has already spent much more than the Cubs did on their payroll.

The Sox did it differently than the other 2 by spending big in international players, Abreu and Robert while also making good trades Giolito, Cease, Jimenez,  Moncada Kopech and Pollock. They also spent money and gave big contracts to fill holes with Hendriks and Grandal.

I fail to see why the fact that they didn't do it like everyone else did means they are a failure and can't get them to the next level.

Abreu had nothing to do with rebuild spending.

Any team winning without Acuna and Ozuna…by definition, there’s going to be luck involved. It’s just that the Braves have/had that proven track record as a franchise ever since the 90’s.

We have just 2005 and the first half of 2006 where everything went right…but 2000-2012, in general.

Still, if you look at all those rebuilds (including the Braves), they all have done better than the Sox in the June draft (can re-argue Cubs vs. Sox) and Latin America, in general.

6 minutes ago, ptatc said:

Too early to call Pollock a success.  Psychologically, just getting Kimbrel away from the Sox, maybe that aspect of it.

40 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Any team winning without Acuna and Ozuna…by definition, there’s going to be luck involved. It’s just that the Braves have/had that proven track record as a franchise ever since the 90’s.

We have just 2005 and the first half of 2006 where everything went right…but 2000-2012, in general.

Still, if you look at all those rebuilds (including the Braves), they all have done better than the Sox in the June draft (can re-argue Cubs vs. Sox) and Latin America, in general.

They did it better alright 😂 

https://www.foxsports.com/san-diego/story/braves-lose-13-prospects-gm-banned-for-life-in-international-signing-scandal-112217?amp=true

42 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Abreu had nothing to do with rebuild spending.

No it more to his point that the Sox aren't building a team the way the Astros or Cubs did so it must be wrong.

I just listed the current players and hiw they were acquired.

14 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

I guess the Sox should have cheated better or manipulated a previously highly flawed international signing process. Funny that Theo and the gang stopped having success after mlb closed the loophole on the flawed INT signing process. Funny how that works.

The Sox took advantage of the same loophole to get Robert. 

Where would the Sox be without Luis Robert? 

Edited by Jack Parkman

15 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

The Sox took advantage of the same loophole to get Robert. 

Where would the Sox be without Luis Robert? 

And it worked out, imagine that! Now just imagine if they had the ownership/will to spend that type of money regularly internationally like the Braves and Cubs did for many years. By all accounts, it took a lot of convincing of Jerry by the front office just to sign a stud like Luis Robert

Does that make them a “better” front office because of it? I don’t think so and now that we have seen both loopholes closed internationally as well as with the US amateur draft, it has leveled the playing field for all. The White Sox, Astros, and Braves all have minor league systems ranked in the bottom third of the league now. The Cubs were right there as well prior to their complete fire sale last summer.

#27, #28, #30 (Cubs were also in that mid/late 20s range prior to the fire sale)

https://www.mlb.com/amp/news/farm-system-rankings-2022-preseason.html

Edited by JUSTgottaBELIEVE

• Heads22 changed the title to Lance Lynn has slight tendon tear, 4 weeks no throwing off mound
  • 2 weeks later...