SP Targets

Half of Brubaker's starts were pretty decent. He was carrying a 4.49 ERA, going into August, but then the wheels fell off. He had 3 consecutive starts, where he gave up 8, 5 and 7 earned runs in short outings. That added a full run to his ERA, before prematurely closing out his year with a couple of decent starts. He missed the final month of the season, with a thumb injury.

Edited by Lillian

38 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

You're also arguing a hypothetical, because that's a rumor that has a lot less backing.

One can guarantee if Pagan was also included that the return would have to be more substantial than Sheets.

The Padres are going to value Smith's predictability and performance over the next couple of seasons over the long term...because Sheets isn't a proven everyday player and you can't really play him very often in the outfield.  Smith is at least playable out there.

How does one argue a hypothetical?

Regardless, I don’t agree with your take on Smith being more valuable that Sheets.  Defensively Smith is bad in LF and was just as bad as Gavin was early on.  It’s possible Sheets improves some or would simply be better in LF.  Either way he’d primarily be in the 1B / DH mix and both Steamer & ZiPS project Sheets to be the better hitter next year.  Given that he’s also cheaper and controllable for three additional seasons he’s likely the more valuable asset.

• Like 1

Just now, maxjusttyped said:

I'd be worried about any FA SP not being built up enough to help for a few weeks anyways

Cueto's probably been sitting on his ass doing nothing all off-season. It'll probably take him at least 2-3 weeks before he can pitch. 

1 hour ago, smellysox said:

No just an educated guess. My "in guy" for the organization has moved on. Now I depend on the foodies and the rest of you for news.

Honestly, just running the numbers, but there is no way we survive April without another starter or swingman.  Kopech is going to need one of Lopez or Velasquez paired with him while the other one starts when games don’t allow us to skip the 5th starter.  And we’ll need someone to be ready for mop-up duty on days when Keuchel starts.  They will add a multi-inning guy of some sort, even if it’s a high variance waiver claim guy.

1 minute ago, YouCanPutItOnTheBoardYES! said:

Still think Cueto is the most likely because they won’t have to give up any prospects for him but we’ll see. 

Cueto is probably the best bridge if he can be ready within two weeks and will sign for less than Velasquez money.  Otherwise, I’m just not convinced he won’t be a guy you’re looking to DFA in a month or so and that’s not worth $4M or whatever.

10 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Honestly, just running the numbers, but there is no way we survive April without another starter or swingman.  Kopech is going to need one of Lopez or Velasquez paired with him while the other one starts when games don’t allow us to skip the 5th starter.  And we’ll need someone to be ready for mop-up duty on days when Keuchel starts.  They will add a multi-inning guy of some sort, even if it’s a high variance waiver claim guy.

I 100% agree with this. They will absolutely run the danger of over using the bullpen this first month- as will alot of clubs. In addition to whatever pitcher the Sox aquire they surely will be running the likes of Tanner Banks, Bilous, Vargas, and of course Jimmy Lambert back and forth from Charlotte. It'll be survivor mode. Whatever needs to be done to manage the pitching depth this first 6 - 8 weeks.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, smellysox said:

I 100% agree with this. They will absolutely run the danger of over using the bullpen this first month- as will alot of clubs. In addition to whatever pitcher the Sox aquire they surely will be running the likes of Tanner Banks, Bilous, Vargas, and of course Jimmy Lambert back and forth from Charlotte. It'll be survivor mode. Whatever needs to be done to manage the pitching depth this first 6 - 8 weeks.

Bilous is on the Birmingham roster, fwiw.  Pretty ugly pitching staff.  They do have the unforgettable Jameson Fisher and Cespedes.

Edited by caulfield12
  • Thanks 1