SP Targets

8 minutes ago, SoCalChiSox said:

Hosmers value is -50m. Paddock is about 17m. SD would have to throw in alot of money and prolly add another good piece too to balance it out.

According to Baseball Trade Values (100% accurate at all times), Keuchel for Hosmer, Paddack and Gore is a major overpay for the Sox.

That contract is toooooooxic.

21 minutes ago, bmags said:

I'd still take a flyer on Folty on aminor league deal. His fb velo went up to 94 mph last year. He was dogshit, but his velo was closer to back. And pitchers are weird, he's likely awful.

But yeah gonna be rough when they add Trevor Bauer.

I'd love Bauer lol

33 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

How much would the Dodgers have to pay as a subsidy for Sox fans to countenance that?

I bet the number for tolerating Bauer would have ticked up considerably in the last 7-10 days.

Might as well add Matt Harvey for more unimpeachable character guys.

I’m not touching Bauer even if he was free.  I get he wasn’t convicted of anything, but he’s got enough of a track record of general douchiness that I don’t want him in our clubhouse.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The Sox will likely win the division, even with what they have. The issue is depth to the front end of the rotation, to ensure that they have the starters needed in the Post Season. This roster has 4 guys who would likely be good enough to compete in the playoffs; Giolito, Lynn, Cease and Kopech.  Lynn's health is critical and not very reliable, at this point. Kopech has the obstacle of needing to manage his work load. Therefore, adding the kinds of arms suggested, so far, only adds regular season depth, of which I am in favor. However, none of the names mentioned would be plausible candidates in the playoffs. Unfortunately, it appears that Hahn is going to have to part with someone, in order to land a #2, or #3 starter. Do any of you have a realistic suggestion to achieve that goal? Please make some feasible trade suggestions. 

Edited by Lillian
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, SoCalChiSox said:

Hosmers value is -50m. Paddock is about 17m. SD would have to throw in alot of money and prolly add another good piece too to balance it out.

The Padres were willing to eat ~$30M of Hosmer’s contract, which would put his cash salary for us around $7.5M per year for the next four years.  Paddock makes $2.3M this year.  We could squeeze both in this year for roughly the same price as Manaea.  Still not sure I’d do that deal though.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Lillian said:

The Sox will likely win the division, even with what they have. The issue is depth to the front end of the rotation, to ensure that they have the starters needed in the Post Season. This roster has 4 guys who would likely be good enough to compete in the playoffs; Giolito, Lynn, Cease and Kopech.  Lynn's health is critical and not very reliable, at this point. Kopech has the obstacle of needing to manage his work load. Therefore, adding the kinds of arms suggested, so far, only adds regular season depth. None of the names mentioned would be plausible candidates in the playoffs. Unfortunately, it appears that Hahn is going to have to part with someone, in order to land a #2, or #3 starter. Do any of you have a realistic suggestion to achieve that goal? Please make some feasible trade suggestions. 

That’s why I feel all this “FO failure” & “emergency” talk is a bit weak.  

Let’s let the guys in the minors establish some value and get the right piece in the summer.  Win the World Series= goal #1

3 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

The Padres were willing to eat ~$30M of Hosmer’s contract, which would put his cash salary for us around $7.5M per year for the next four years.  Paddock makes $2.3M this year.  We could squeeze both in this year for roughly the same price as Manaea.  Still not sure I’d do that deal though.

Paddack is a two-pitch pitcher (fastball, changeup.) No viable third pitch is why he's struggling. He needs to be converted to a reliever if he wants to stay in baseball. He's the Padres' version of Reynaldo.

No way in hell are we taking on a bad contract for a reliever.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, GIDP said:

Paddack is a two-pitch pitcher (fastball, changeup.) No viable third pitch is why he's struggling. He needs to be converted to a reliever if he wants to stay in baseball. He's the Padres' version of Reynaldo.

No way in hell are we taking on a bad contract for a reliever.

That’s crazy, pitchers develop pitches suddenly all the time

• Like 1

The Twins were looking at Cueto and signed Archer instead. That either means you should want Cueto cause Minnesota's track record of picking up FA SPs has been terrible recently or Cueto looked so bad that Minnesota didn't even want him. 

Johnny Cueto (36, 2.0)
Brett Anderson (34, 1.5)
Matt Harvey (33, 1.4)
J.A. Happ (39, 1.1)
Trevor Cahill (33, 0.9)
Tommy Milone (35, 0.6)
Mike Fiers (37, 0.3)
José Ureña (30, 0.3)
Cole Hamels (38, 0.1)
Ervin Santana (39, 0.1)
Scott Kazmir (38, -0.2)
Jake Arrieta (36, -0.2)
Tanner Roark (35, -0.7)
Julio Teheran (31, -0.9)
Mike Foltynewicz (30, -1.1)
Félix Hernández (36, N/A)

Those are your options, so yeah.....

1 hour ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

no he would not.

Gio - 1

Kopech - 2

Cease, can flip flop Kopech and Cease if you want - 3

DK - 4 (5.23 FIP and 0.6 WAR in 2021)

ReyLo - 5 (4.19 FIP ans 0.7 WAR in 2021)

So where would Cueto be slotting in at with his 4.05 FIP and 1.5 WAR in 2021........

Oh that's right 4th

bryan-cranston-mic-drop.gif