SP Targets

1 hour ago, Lillian said:

The Sox will likely win the division, even with what they have. The issue is depth to the front end of the rotation, to ensure that they have the starters needed in the Post Season. This roster has 4 guys who would likely be good enough to compete in the playoffs; Giolito, Lynn, Cease and Kopech.  Lynn's health is critical and not very reliable, at this point. Kopech has the obstacle of needing to manage his work load. Therefore, adding the kinds of arms suggested, so far, only adds regular season depth, of which I am in favor. However, none of the names mentioned would be plausible candidates in the playoffs. Unfortunately, it appears that Hahn is going to have to part with someone, in order to land a #2, or #3 starter. Do any of you have a realistic suggestion to achieve that goal? Please make some feasible trade suggestions. 

I'm at a loss. I wanted them to resign Rodon but a lot of the board didn't. Plus picking up Kimbrel's option didn't help in that regard. Nor the whole Kimbrel trade either for that matter when you add in the cost for Harrison and just saving just $4M on the Pollock trade.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

3 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I'm at a loss. I wanted them to resign Rodon but a lot of the board didn't. Plus picking up Kimbrel's option didn't help in that regard. Nor the whole Kimbrel trade either for that matter when you add in the cost for Harrison and just saving just $4M on the Pollock trade.

So if you add Rodon at 22 million, if puts them over the CBT. So who isn't on the current team to save that 22 million?

39 minutes ago, Capn12 said:

Johnny Cueto (36, 2.0)
Brett Anderson (34, 1.5)
Matt Harvey (33, 1.4)
J.A. Happ (39, 1.1)
Trevor Cahill (33, 0.9)
Tommy Milone (35, 0.6)
Mike Fiers (37, 0.3)
José Ureña (30, 0.3)
Cole Hamels (38, 0.1)
Ervin Santana (39, 0.1)
Scott Kazmir (38, -0.2)
Jake Arrieta (36, -0.2)
Tanner Roark (35, -0.7)
Julio Teheran (31, -0.9)
Mike Foltynewicz (30, -1.1)
Félix Hernández (36, N/A)

Those are your options, so yeah.....

And...Ross Detwiler. Never mind, he has been used primarily out of the pen, the last couple of years and probably isn't stretched out enough. 

Edited by Lillian

Just get on the phone with PIT for Q. It shouldn't cost much.

Slot him in at 4. 

5th can be a combo of ReyLo and DK, with hopefully each giving us 3 innings so we can turn it over to the BP after that. 

It's not ideal but they're going to have to get by on bubble gum, shoestring and paper clips for awhile. 

2 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

I just don't know where they go from here. Anyone they sign isn't going to help them right away (unless it's someone who was in Spring Training with another team). Maybe see if you can grab Castillo or Mahle from the Reds while taking on dead money (Shogo's $8 mill?)? Try for Montas?

It really does seem dead. There are so, so few tanking teams aside from As, Reds, Orioles. Dbacks...I mean would be great to have a zach davies even but he can't be traded I believe. there is only garbage right now.

Stone was just on The Score with Lawrence Holmes.  Said we were finalists with the Padres for Manaea but the A’s liked the Padres’ offer better.  Stated pretty confidently that the Sox will continue to look for a quality starter.  He did mention Montas as possibility, but pointed out that he’ll be more expensive than Manaea.  He concluded by saying if the Sox don’t add another quality starter it won’t be from a lack of effort.

• Like 1
  • Fire 1

5 minutes ago, Lillian said:

Montas is the one front end of the rotation starter, whom has been openly shopped. We've talked about him a lot, but have we really assessed what it would take to get him?

If they didn't match up with Oakland for Manea they probably don't for Momtas either

1 minute ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Stone was just on The Score with Lawrence Holmes.  Said we were finalists with the Padres for Manaea but the A’s liked the Padres’ offer better.  Stated pretty confidently that the Sox will continue to look for a quality starter.  He did mention Montas as possibility, but pointed out that he’ll be more expensive than Manaea.  He concluded by saying if the Sox don’t add another quality starter it won’t be from a lack of effort.

Thanks for the recap of his comments.

It's a double edged sword there. Stone isn't talking about any starter he is saying quality which means it will be costly, esp since teams know we dont have much leverage right now with that Lynn injury.

I'm bracing myself for a painful trade. 

7 minutes ago, ptatc said:

If they didn't match up with Oakland for Manea they probably don't for Momtas either

Or, perhaps the Sox simply weren't willing to pay the price for a one year rental. Now, there is more urgency and Montas is better and has 2 years of control. Montas would not be merely a depth piece, he would be a front end of the rotation starter. We'll see who stays healthy and is available to pitch in the post season, and if Kopech still has anything in the tank, by then. In fact, let's see if he has a better year than Montas. 

Edited by Lillian

57 minutes ago, chw42 said:

The Twins were looking at Cueto and signed Archer instead. That either means you should want Cueto cause Minnesota's track record of picking up FA SPs has been terrible recently or Cueto looked so bad that Minnesota didn't even want him. 

They wanted guys who miss bats, so Gray/Archer was clearly a step up from Happ and Shoemaker.  Which pairing Cueto belongs with is certainly up for debate.

3 minutes ago, SoCalChiSox said:

Thanks for the recap of his comments.

It's a double edged sword there. Stone isn't talking about any starter he is saying quality which means it will be costly, esp since teams know we dont have much leverage right now with that Lynn injury.

I'm bracing myself for a painful trade. 

Honestly, I really struggle what you can acquire without dealing Vaughn.  Would almost have to take on a bad contract.  I think we’ve got some payroll flexibility still, but Hahn has never shown a willingness to take a bad player to get another with surplus value.

Just now, Chicago White Sox said:

Honestly, I really struggle what you can acquire without dealing Vaughn.  Would almost have to take on a bad contract.  I think we’ve got some payroll flexibility still, but Hahn has never shown a willingness to take a bad player to get another with surplus value.

Yeah too many teams are trying to compete. The free agent starters don't look even that much worse than the 3-5 on the rebuilding teams.

I wonder if you target someone you would have gone after in rule 5 draft at this point and hope they get you there.

Maybe Yankees Shawn Semple or Rays Christopher Gau, both were in rule 5 top guys. Trade out a younger prospect for them and pray.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Is there a quality starter, with a "bad contract," whom some team would be willing to deal?