Manaea to Padres, Sox were in on him

bmags

18 minutes ago, fathom said:

I have a bad feeling the Sox trade Vaughn for Montas. No inside info, just a feeling.

I am trying to understand Soxtalk’s hesitancy for trading Vaughn. If it’s a concern over trading him for a rental, okay, but it’s like people are afraid he could become a MVP or something. Why not deal from a position of strength or a logjam of similar position players to address a weakness?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, The Beast said:

I am trying to understand Soxtalk’s hesitancy for trading Vaughn. If it’s a concern over trading him for a rental, okay, but it’s like people are afraid he could become a MVP or something. Why not deal from a position of strength or a logjam of similar position players to address a weakness?

I don't mind trading Vaughn in the right deal. 

I'm beginning to think that the Sox are just at their budget limit. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

4 minutes ago, quickman said:

This is a good observation. It seems the Sox could have gotten something done easily in this so maybe it is about the money. I am deeply concerned about the rotation. 

Sure, assuming they wouldn't give up major leaguers as well as Vera, Montgomery and Colas, our Top 4-11 doesn't really compare with SD's 12-30.

Hahn is getting too cocky about outsmarting everyone with Lopez and Velasquez.

Edited by caulfield12

2 minutes ago, The Beast said:

If there was a 2016 Chris Sale out there, then yeah I would trade Vaughn as part of a package. Problem is that guy doesn’t exist right now. Certainly not trading him for 2 years of Montas. That would be awful.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jack Parkman said:

I don't mind trading Vaughn in the right deal. 

And that's how you end up with no window after 2024...they might as well embrace that fact and decide to be all in this year, instead of their current half measures on pitching side.

Really, they threw out the extended window as soon as they gave up on Rodon and Madrigal.

2 minutes ago, YouCanPutItOnTheBoardYES! said:

If there was a 2016 Chris Sale out there, then yeah I would trade Vaughn as part of a package. Problem is that guy doesn’t exist right now. Certainly not trading him for 2 years of Montas. That would be awful.

What if it was Vaughn and one player for Montas+?

1 minute ago, YouCanPutItOnTheBoardYES! said:

But we almost traded for Burnes, and almost signed Wheeler...that has to count for something, right?

3 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

And that's how you end up with no window after 2024...they might as well embrace that fact and decide to be all in this year, instead of their current half measures on pitching side.

Really, they threw out the extended window as soon as they gave up on Rodon and Madrigal.

There's no window past 2023 anyway, and it sure seems like the Sox aren't serious about winning a championship. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

7 minutes ago, The Beast said:

That's why most want to trade Sheets or Burger

5 minutes ago, The Beast said:

If there was hesitancy to do it for Corbin Burnes, then sure as hell there's no reason to even consider it for these leftovers out there.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

If Hahn trades Vaughn for Montas then I’m moving to Asheville to get even farther from this god forsaken franchise.

The Vanderbilt Estate is lovely.  Nice summer weather in the mountains.

Unfortunately, you're heading for the coastal plains with the next move, maybe not the best plan with climate change/sea levels rising. 

1 minute ago, Jack Parkman said:

There's no window past 2023 anyway, and it sure seems like the Sox aren't serious about winning a championship. 

The money was spent.  Just not well enough. 

Why can't we have the Indians or Rays ability to compete ona shoestring budget?  Because we need to get back that mentality after wasting so much money the last decade...such as the Friends & Family recruiting disaster.

If the White Sox want him, the Padres will get him. This is starting to get silly. 
Unrelated but the Tatis  Jr deal set the tone as these rebuilds were pretty parallel with one another. After that, the Sox were linked to these players before SD got them. 
1) Machado 

2) Snell 

3) Adam Frazier at the trade deadline last summer. 

4) Now Sean Manaea. 

4 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

There’s no window if they don’t replace Rodon with a starter and people keep getting hurt. Meanwhile players age and people leave. This is why if they were short on prospects I thought they had to go out and spend on areas of weakness in free agency.

2 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Probably Burger. Of course, Moncada would get hurt as soon as Burgatron was out the door.

But if they traded Vaughn who would they need to get back with Montas for Soxtalk to feel good about the trade?

1 minute ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

That's why most want to trade Sheets or Burger

Right but if Oakland wants Vaughn, who do the Sox need to get back so that they get a good enough return?

7 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

If Hahn trades Vaughn for Montas then I’m moving to Asheville to get even farther from this god forsaken franchise.

Go for it. You’ll still watch the Sox. I still am trying to understand the love and attachment for Vaughn and the lack of problem solving around areas of need.

1 minute ago, The Beast said:

There’s no window if they don’t replace Rodon with a starter and people keep getting hurt. Meanwhile players age and people leave. This is why if they were short on prospects I thought they had to go out and spend on areas of weakness in free agency.

But if they traded Vaughn who would they need to get back with Montas for Soxtalk to feel good about the trade?

Right but if Oakland wants Vaughn, who do the Sox need to get back so that they get a good enough return?

Oakland doesn't have anyone worth Vaughn.

If Luis Castillo wasn't injured, that's a guy I'd trade Vaughn for. 

• Heads22 changed the title to Manaea to Padres, Sox were in on him