Manaea to Padres, Sox were in on him

bmags

4 minutes ago, SoxBlanco said:

I think the plan is to just wait until the deadline now. See what the team looks like in July and see what other players (pitchers) might be available. Some of our younger prospects might have increased their value a little bit, too. 

Isn't that risky? Hahn would appear to be desperate, if the team were already dealing with a hobbled, thin starting staff. Claiming to merely be trying to add depth is better than desperately trying to find a trading partner, because you don't have anyone who is available to provide quality innings. So far, all of the starters are still healthy, with the exception of Lynn, about whose status we don't yet know. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Lillian said:

Isn't that risky? Hahn would appear to be desperate, if the team were already dealing with a hobbled, thin starting staff. Claiming to merely be trying to add depth is better than desperately trying to find a trading partner, because you don't have anyone who is available to provide quality innings. So far, all of the starters are still healthy, with the exception of Lynn, about whose status we don't yet know. 

Of course it is. But it's also possible the hold a decent division lead early and can "wait" to acquire a starter. But it's all a risk. 

Or you don't have to worry about any of this and just use money to sign whoever you want...but that ship has unfortunately sailed. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TheFutureIsNear said:

This board has become full on insufferable. The White Sox not having a window beyond 2023 is 1 of the dumber things typed on the internet today

The board is like a contest between Caufield and Jack to see who can be the biggest shit poster. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 2
  • Love 1
  • Fire 1

13 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

That may be the plan, but it’s a huge risk to go with what got now.  I really hope Hahn has an ace up his sleeve here.

Hard to think he has an ace up his sleeve when the Sox are pretty close to the CBT since the Kimbrel contract was a wash with the Pollock contract. They are out of Aces in the deck they are playing.

Just now, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Hard to think he has an ace up his sleeve when the Sox are pretty close to the CBT since the Kimbrel contract was a wash with the Pollock contract. They are out of Aces in the deck they are playing.

I think we have close to $20M in CBT space, I think the bigger concern is cash payroll, but we did open up some with the Kimbrel trade.

Just now, Chicago White Sox said:

I think we have close to $20M in CBT space, I think the bigger concern is cash payroll, but we did open up some with the Kimbrel trade.

Didn't it come to just about $1M gained in the Kimbrel deal ? Or if you are talking about payroll cash then more since the buyout may not count against payroll ?

4 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Didn't it come to just about $1M gained in the Kimbrel deal ? Or if you are talking about payroll cash then more since the buyout may not count against payroll ?

I think CBT wise it was kimbrel for 16 but Pollock for 7.5. Pollock has 10 this year and a 5 buyout next year so his is spread out over 2.

Just now, ptatc said:

I think CBT wise it was kimbrel for 16 but Pollock for 7.5. Pollock has 10 this year and a 5 buyout next year so his is spread out over 2.

Wasn't there a $3M signing bonus too ? I mean I read the whole conversations on it but I never got a clear understanding of what goes under the CBT and what goes under payroll.

8 minutes ago, ptatc said:

Nah. Pollock CBT number is $12m. 

Edited by ChiSox59

8 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Guaranteed money is only $1M different, but the CBT and cash impact is quite bit less for this year.

44 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Why would the sox trade Vaughn for mitch Keller?

If the Sox were gonna target a pirates pitcher, a cheap shrewd move would be inquiring about JT Brubaker.

Because they need a controllable SP more than a controllable 1B/DH. 

• Like 1
  • Fire 1

10 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Guaranteed money is only $1M different, but the CBT and cash impact is quite bit less for this year.

Contract Notes for Pollock from Spotrac

Contract Notes:
  • 2022 opt out available ($5M buyout), with 1,000 plate appearances across 2020-2021, or 1,450 plate appearances across 2019-2021 (not earned)
  • 2023 Player Option includes a $5M buyout
  • 2023 Option escalates $1M each for 
    400,450,500,550,600 Plate Appearances in 2022
  • 2023 option increases $1M per point based on finish in 2019-22 MVP voting, with 5 points for first place, 3 points for second-fifth place, and 1 point for sixth-10th place
Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

45 minutes ago, YouCanPutItOnTheBoardYES! said:

Maybe they shouldn’t have wasted $8 million on Josh Harrison and Vince Velasquez.

Hindsight is undefeated. 

Obviously by the Pollack move and being close on Manaea here at the end, the Sox had a plan in place.  

• Haha 1

49 minutes ago, YouCanPutItOnTheBoardYES! said:

Maybe they shouldn’t have wasted $8 million on Josh Harrison and Vince Velasquez.

Yep, the Manaea pursuit may have ended when they essentially only saved a million dollars on the Kimbrel trade.

Reasonable chance the 10 million coming back was too much regardless of the asking price.