Manaea to Padres, Sox were in on him

bmags

1 minute ago, ptatc said:

Sure but what does that have to do with undervaluing Vaughn?

I'm not undervaluing Vaughn. You're overvaluing him and undervaluing Keller

Take off the silver and black goggles for a moment, will ya? Look at it from a neutral POV. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

Just now, Jack Parkman said:

I'm not undervaluing Vaughn. You're overvaluing him and undervaluing  Keller

I don't even know who Keller is. I have never once commented on him. 

And yes you have undervalued Vaughn since the drafted a RH first baseman that they could get anywhere.

2 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Take off the silver and black goggles for a moment, will ya? Look at it from a neutral POV. 

This......is not going well for you. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

In my opinion, the Sox could have easily beaten this if they wanted to.  And it’s very clear they’re aware that they need another starter.  As such, perhaps there is a different starting pitcher they are close on?  Obviously Montas is an option, but the Reds still have Castillo & Mahnle.  The problem there is you’re probably talking Vaughn or bust, although the Reds didn’t exactly get a haul for two years of Gray.

4 minutes ago, ptatc said:

I don't even know who Keller is. I have never once commented on him. 

And yes you have undervalued Vaughn since the drafted a RH first baseman that they could get anywhere.

I don't want them to trade him for just anyone. I recognize his value. 

I just think that the board overrates his value league wide. He's a RH hitting 1B. As good as his potential is, that's not exactly a valuable piece. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

11 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Again, from the Pirates point of view Vaughn hit .235 with an OPS barely over .700 and a 68 wRC+ against RHP. 

Both guys kinda sucked as rookies

Yeah, luckily most GMs don’t just leverage stat lines from a rookie season when evaluating young players and will consider scouting reports, prospect pedigree, development time, etc to develop their own go-forward projections.

1 hour ago, Chicago White Sox said:

And Josh Nelson was saying on Twitter Manaea would cost Colson Montgomery…lol

No idea how we couldn’t find a package better than what the Padres gave up here.

2 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

In my opinion, the Sox could have easily beaten this if they wanted to.  And it’s very clear they’re aware that they need another starter.  As such, perhaps there is a different starting pitcher they are close on?  Obviously Montas is an option, but the Reds still have Castillo & Mahnle.  The problem there is you’re probably talking Vaughn or bust, although the Reds didn’t exactly get a haul for two years of Gray.

The 19-year-old infielder that the A’s got would be a top 5 prospect in the Sox system. Sox equivalent is like Jose Rodriguez or Kath/Montgomery I’d think. Sox likely weren’t doing that for a 1 year guy. Teams just aren’t interested in Sheets and Burger it seems. Shocking I know. 

• Like 4

Just now, Chicago White Sox said:

Yeah, luckily most GMs don’t just leverage stat lines from a rookie season when evaluating young players and will consider scouting reports, prospect pedigree, development time, etc to develop their own go-forward projections.

Mitch Keller and Andrew Vaughn were similarly rated prospects going into 2021. 

14 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Again, from the Pirates point of view Vaughn hit .235 with an OPS barely over .700 and a 68 wRC+ against RHP. 

Both guys kinda sucked as rookies

IDGAF about Vaughn’s stats from last year. He skipped AA and AAA and hadn’t played in a game for over a year, and is a year removed from being a consensus top 20 prospect in the game as a 1B, and certainly would have been much higher if he played OF in college. He has enormous offensive upside. And on top of all that has more control than Keller. 

you have a lot of really bad takes, but this is up there. 

• Like 1
  • Fire 2

9 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

I think I am one of the few people on this board that looks at thing from a neutral point of view.

• Like 2

I don't profess to be some talent evaluating savant, but the simple fact is that this team needs better starting pitching depth and there do not appear to be any remaining free agent candidates available, whom they could sign. Therefore, a trade is the only viable option that Hahn can pursue, if they are to maximize this window of contention. The best trade chip would likely have to be a young player, who is cheap, with several years of control, and who is not currently needed on this roster. Who fits that description? Is there anyone besides Vaughn, who fits that description and whom Hahn could offer, in order to acquire a #2, or #3 starter with at least 2 years of control?  So, to reiterate; whom should Hahn be trying to acquire and what would it likely take to get him?

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

The 19-year-old infielder that the A’s got would be a top 5 prospect in the Sox system. Sox equivalent is like Jose Rodriguez or Kath/Montgomery I’d think. Sox likely weren’t doing that for a 1 year guy. Teams just aren’t interested in Sheets and Burger it seems. Shocking I know. 

It's mind boggling that the Sox system is such complete shit compared to the Padres. The Pads traded away so many prospects yet their low tier prospects are still comparable to the Sox top 5. Sad. 

4 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

IDGAF about Vaughn’s stats from last year. He skipped AA and AAA and hadn’t played in a game for over a year, and is a year removed from being a consensus top 20 prospect in the game as a 1B, and certainly would have been much higher if he played OF in college. He has enormous offensive upside. And on top of all that has more control than Keller. 

you have a lot of really bad takes, but this is up there. 

More overvaluing of Vaughn here. 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, ron883 said:

It's mind boggling that the Sox system is such complete shit compared to the Padres. The Pads traded away so many prospects yet their low tier prospects are still comparable to the Sox top 5. Sad. 

Truly investing resources into scouting and development matters. Signing teenagers instead of older Cubans every year matters as well.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Maybe the goal is to have no first round picks other than Anderson on the Sox active roster.

Collins, Crochet, Rodon, Burdi, Madrigal, Fulmer, so AV's days are obviously numbered.

That's also known as the Stan Bowman School of Asset Management.

• Heads22 changed the title to Manaea to Padres, Sox were in on him