The Curious Case of Micker Adolfo

If you are not familiar with the Micker Adolfo situation this article from November of 2021 will get you up to speed along with the developments since then that I will provide.

https://www.soxon35th.com/running-out-of-options-what-to-do-with-micker-adolfo/

Since that time he played for Estrellas in the Dominican Winter league and got close to 50 plate appearances and didn't do much.

This spring in exhibition games though has opened a lot of eyes. Without getting too carried away ( after all it is still ST and he did have the benefit of some time in the DWL to be more prepared for ST) I'm trying to figure out something that will allow the Sox to keep him.

Any way here's what he has done in ST so far in 26 PA which is around 9th on the team.

.429 BA, .500 OBP .810 SLG. ,1.310 OPS . As expected with those kind of numbers his BABIP is through the roof . His K rate is still 34.6 % but he has shown the ability to work the count and his walk rate is 11.5%. If you like those numbers look at how he's done against RHP since he is a RHH,  .412 BA, .476 OBP , .882 SLG. , 1.358 OPS.

He tied for 2nd with Eloy for Total bases only trailing Robert. He has actually looked like Eloy , Robert and TA in his approach in that he's been going to RF and the RF gap. He also has a gun for an arm. He is showing that massive potential that was derailed by injuries. If the Sox cannot retain him it's hard to imagine another team not picking him up. He probably will be the most attractive release out there.

So getting back to trying to figure out how the Sox can keep him. For the smarter people in the room could the Sox sign him to an extension at league minimum which now amounts to 2 years $1.4M ? Would that allow them to do pretty much anything they wanted to with him  ?

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

If you are not familiar with the Micker Adolfo situation this article from November of 2021 will get you up to speed along with the developments since then that I will provide.

https://www.soxon35th.com/running-out-of-options-what-to-do-with-micker-adolfo/

Since that time he played for Estrellas in the Dominican Winter league and got close to 50 plate appearances and didn't do much.

This spring in exhibition games though has opened a lot of eyes. Without getting too carried away ( after all it is still ST and he did have the benefit of some time in the DWL to be more prepared for ST) I'm trying to figure out something that will allow the Sox to keep him.

Any way here's what he has done in ST so far in 26 PA which is around 9th on the team.

.429 BA, .500 OBP .810 SLG. ,1.310 OPS . As expected with those kind of numbers his BABIP is through the roof . His K rate is still 34.6 % but he has shown the ability to work the count and his walk rate is 11.5%. If you like those numbers look at how he's done against RHP since he is a RHH,  .412 BA, .476 OBP , .882 SLG. , 1.358 OPS.

He tied for 2nd with Eloy for Total bases only trailing Robert. He has actually looked like Eloy , Robert and TA in his approach in that he's been going to RF and the RF gap. He also has a gun for an arm. He is showing that massive potential that was derailed by injuries. If the Sox cannot retain him it's hard to imagine another team not picking him up. He probably will be the most attractive release out there.

So getting back to trying to figure out how the Sox can keep him. For the smarter people in the room could the Sox sign him to an extension at league minimum which now amounts to 2 years $1.4M ? Would that allow them to do pretty much anything they wanted to with him  ?

He would still be out of options. It could scare teams away from claiming him. But circumventing the rules to stash guys in AAA would certainly result in a grievance.

• Like 1

The way the injuries have been happening he might have a spot open. They could squeeze him on the roster for April if someone new goes on the IL. Maybe put Engel (edit) or Vaughn on the IL if they really wanted to keep him. 🤔 

Edited by pcq

I didn't run the numbers, but I was thinking the same thing about Adolfo.   Now that he's finally healthy, he might have just as much upside as Cespedes or Colas.  

The challenge is that without having proven anything in the majors, he's not going to move ahead of any of the many Sox outfielders.   It we hadn't added Pollock, they might have kept him as the 26th guy.  But even then, it doesn't help his development to sit unused on a major league bench.  

They could keep him temporarily with expanded rosters, but would that improve his trade value?  

For the Sox, I'm sure they'd love to give him another year in AAA and see how it turns out.  Next year, will Pollock walk?  Engel has 1 more ARB year, then he's a FA.   Adolfo might be a very good prospect in a year.   And he'd only be 26.  

• Like 1

Just now, pcq said:

The way the injuries have been happening he might have a spot open. They could squeeze him on the roster for April if someone new goes on the IL. Maybe put Eaton or Vaughn on the IL if they really wanted to keep him. 🤔 

Eaton?

If they choose to go with two catchers I think a spot for micker is possibly available at least for april. I think he deserves a chance and we deserve to see it as a white Sox. It’s almost like keeping a rule 5 guy on your roster to see what he’s all about. Truly would be sad to lose him for nothing. If they are  considering waiving him, orioles probably ready to swoop in. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Backwash07 said:

If they choose to go with two catchers I think a spot for micker is possibly available at least for april. I think he deserves a chance and we deserve to see it as a white Sox. It’s almost like keeping a rule 5 guy on your roster to see what he’s all about. Truly would be sad to lose him for nothing. If they are  considering waiving him, orioles probably ready to swoop in. 

What is a month on the bench going to change?  It’s just delaying the inevitable.

• Like 1

Can’t argue with that, other than what happened with Yermin for a month last year. Not saying it would ever be at that level, but maybe at a lesser level. Then there’s either value to him on the Sox or to someone else. The time invested him makes it a special case in my opinion. But yes, I think there’s inevitable parting in the next few days. 

Does he make the team better now? And is his future value worth the current costs?

There are some great players who struck out 30%+ last season but they pair that with 30+ home runs and good defense. A slash of .220/.310/.440 would be the best we could expect out of Adolfo for a season or two.

His profile is going to make us love him or hate him depending on how hot he starts. If he’s not hitting the ball hard where the fielders aren’t then we are just going to see a guy striking out 30-40% of the time. I’m not sold on adjusting plans to see if he can develop into Great Value Joey Gallo when we’ve a ton of other discount brand outfielders.

5 hours ago, MackowiakYakYak said:

Does he make the team better now? And is his future value worth the current costs?

There are some great players who struck out 30%+ last season but they pair that with 30+ home runs and good defense. A slash of .220/.310/.440 would be the best we could expect out of Adolfo for a season or two.

His profile is going to make us love him or hate him depending on how hot he starts. If he’s not hitting the ball hard where the fielders aren’t then we are just going to see a guy striking out 30-40% of the time. I’m not sold on adjusting plans to see if he can develop into Great Value Joey Gallo when we’ve a ton of other discount brand outfielders.

I'm not even sure he will make the 28 for April . I thought he had a chance before the acquisitions of Haseley and Pollock but now it's looking doubtful. I just hate to see how the injuries have messed with his career. The Sox obviously love his power and we haven't seen any other OF's who can hit ,play good defense with a strong arm emerge among the other OF guys like Rutherford, Gonzalez , Basabe etc.. Plus now with Cespedes and Colas 2 guys who are much older than Micker was when they signed, Micker is kind of redundant. I guess when he goes I'll just have to see how it turns out for him.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

What is a month on the bench going to change?  It’s just delaying the inevitable.

Probably nothing, but any team claiming him will have the same problem the Sox currently have in that he is out of options. I think the team will not put too much stock in spring training ABs, especially since they acquired 2 OF last week, and either try to trade him or get him through waivers. The one caveat being if you keep him a month, roster size shrinks and maybe the odds he is claimed. But it does appear they have moved on.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Probably nothing, but any team claiming him will have the same problem the Sox currently have in that he is out of options. I think the team will not put too much stock in spring training ABs, especially since they acquired 2 OF last week, and either try to trade him or get him through waivers. The one caveat being if you keep him a month, roster size shrinks and maybe the odds he is claimed. But it does appear they have moved on.

I guess there is some logic on waiting for roster sizes to shrink, but the kid should get almost no playing time in April so I don’t really see how he builds up his value.

• Like 1

Unfortunately he's just a case of a roster crunch. That's a good thing. In 2018 he'd get his chance, but for now he'll have to do it on another team and I wish him luck. 

With all the injuries he's had he needs consistent bats and he's not getting those, nor does he deserve those on the White Sox. Not something that's realistic, but its too bad baseball doesn't have a rule like NCAA where maybe you could apply for a medical year and push back, would seem to help. but i digress.

Either way, at most he's maybe worked his way into some sort of value alongside a Sheets or Burger to grab a rotation arm. At the least he's worked his way into a waiver claim by teams like Pirates, Texas, Washington, Miami, etc. 

As someone said we're just delaying the inevitable if he's rostered in the first month. He won't get the AB's here, the month ends and you end up with the same result and realistically his best outcome is a Daniel Palka type existence which wouldn't (and shouldn't) put him above guys like Engel or even Sheets.

wish him well, hope he has a great career.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, he gone. said:

Unfortunately he's just a case of a roster crunch. That's a good thing. In 2018 he'd get his chance, but for now he'll have to do it on another team and I wish him luck. 

With all the injuries he's had he needs consistent bats and he's not getting those, nor does he deserve those on the White Sox. Not something that's realistic, but its too bad baseball doesn't have a rule like NCAA where maybe you could apply for a medical year and push back, would seem to help. but i digress.

Either way, at most he's maybe worked his way into some sort of value alongside a Sheets or Burger to grab a rotation arm. At the least he's worked his way into a waiver claim by teams like Pirates, Texas, Washington, Miami, etc. 

As someone said we're just delaying the inevitable if he's rostered in the first month. He won't get the AB's here, the month ends and you end up with the same result and realistically his best outcome is a Daniel Palka type existence which wouldn't (and shouldn't) put him above guys like Engel or even Sheets.

wish him well, hope he has a great career.

We need to an extra option year for him due to all his injuries FWIW