Sox Acquire Reese McGuire for Zack Collins, Officially

Heads22

15 minutes ago, wegner said:

Just as long as this thread is not locked....this has been some comic gold.  Well done everyone.

Also I assume this subject is allowed in game threads based on Mcguire's performance.

Depends if his performance is leaving others frustrated or not.

8 hours ago, gusguyman said:

Say what you will, the man knows how to handle his staff

8 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

He used to flash some power, now he flashes other things.

I’m a little late to this thread of hilarity, but these two comments were fucking 🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥

• Thanks 1

Funny, my off-season plan for this year included trading Kimbrel to the Jays for McGuire + a couple of lower level prospects. I then moved Collins in a separate trade and McGuire became the Sox backup.

"We know Jerry doesn't like to waste money, and he won't here. Toronto needs bullpen help and they have some money to spend. Jordan Romano was very good for Toronto last season as their primary closer, but he is far less entrenched in that role than Liam Hendriks, so Kimbrel would take the closing duties for a year in Toronto while Romano takes the 8th inning role.

The Jays are a natural fit here not only because they need RP help, and have money, but because they have a glut of 3 decent catchers, with their #1 prospect, also a catcher, about to join the fray. In discussing with Jays fans, they basically put equal value on catchers McGuire and Danny Jansen. I ultimately chose McGuire for the role of backup catcher for the Sox due to his left-handed bat, being known for his defense, and for having an above-average arm to control the opponent running game, a glaring weakness for the Sox. McGuire also ranks around top 10ish in catcher framing as well. Anything he adds with the bat, which seems to be better in the Majors than when he was a prospect, will just be gravy."

In previous off-season plans I've included trades for Pollock, but I can't seem to find those write-ups as easily.

6 hours ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

Funny, my off-season plan for this year included trading Kimbrel to the Jays for McGuire + a couple of lower level prospects. I then moved Collins in a separate trade and McGuire became the Sox backup.

"We know Jerry doesn't like to waste money, and he won't here. Toronto needs bullpen help and they have some money to spend. Jordan Romano was very good for Toronto last season as their primary closer, but he is far less entrenched in that role than Liam Hendriks, so Kimbrel would take the closing duties for a year in Toronto while Romano takes the 8th inning role.

The Jays are a natural fit here not only because they need RP help, and have money, but because they have a glut of 3 decent catchers, with their #1 prospect, also a catcher, about to join the fray. In discussing with Jays fans, they basically put equal value on catchers McGuire and Danny Jansen. I ultimately chose McGuire for the role of backup catcher for the Sox due to his left-handed bat, being known for his defense, and for having an above-average arm to control the opponent running game, a glaring weakness for the Sox. McGuire also ranks around top 10ish in catcher framing as well. Anything he adds with the bat, which seems to be better in the Majors than when he was a prospect, will just be gravy."

In previous off-season plans I've included trades for Pollock, but I can't seem to find those write-ups as easily.

Was wondering when you would show up. Finally after all these years the Sox get one of your catching targets.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, gogosox1959 said:

framing:

Collins just doesn't even bother to present the pitch. I've never seen someone stab at the ball like him. He'll also catch the ball with his glove sideways at times. No umpire is gonna give a pitcher a call on those.

McGuire is obviously really good at it. Better than Grandal.

• Like 1

The last time the White Sox traded away a catcher who was hopeless and a disaster behind the plate and where it was emphatically declared he would never become a good framer, it took him two seasons to become one of the better framers in the game and a solid overall defensive catcher.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

The last time the White Sox traded away a catcher who was hopeless and a disaster behind the plate and where it was emphatically declared he would never become a good framer, it took him two seasons to become one of the better framers in the game and a solid overall defensive catcher.

All that says is that they can’t improve catcher defense here (just using your one example). Might as well deal him for someone who can already catch and frame.

3 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

All that says is that they can’t improve catcher defense here (just using your one example). Might as well deal him for someone who can already catch and frame.

James McCann was coached by the same guys as Collins and he went from bad framer to good with the team. I don't think it's a reflection of the Sox. It's the player. Some can do it, some can't. Some want to, some don't. They said Collins worked very hard on his defense. Maybe he just can't be a good defender.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

James McCann was coached by the same guys as Collins and he went from bad framer to good with the team. I don't think it's a reflection of the Sox. It's the player. Some can do it, some can't. Some want to, some don't. They said Collins worked very hard on his defense. Maybe he just can't be a good defender.

It almost seems like he just has poor hand-eye coordination. You can only teach people to be good at something if they've got the physical ability to do it. 

13 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Oh I know. I was just going off of his one example he provided.

15 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Well unfortunately that’s not true at all as 2019 was the worst framing season in his career. 2020 was respectable but in a very short sample set.

https://baseballsavant.mlb.com/savant-player/james-mccann-543510?stats=statcast-r-fielding-mlb