Sox Acquire Reese McGuire for Zack Collins, Officially

Heads22

8 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Id be surprised by that. Not sure what Seby adds.

Seby doesn't add anything.  He's a negative both offensively and defensively.  His one main highlight last year was working the walk in the Field of Dreams game so Tim could hit a walk-off HR.  

And it's not like he would necessarily get snapped up by someone else.  My guess is he could clear waivers and get re-signed for AAA depth.  

• Like 2

• Heads22 changed the title to Sox Acquire Reese McGuire for Zack Collins, Officially
12 minutes ago, CeaseAndExist said:

This is what people wanted, right? A backup C who is solid with the glove?

It's odd, but not surprising to see the miserable mopes complain about this. It's a good trade that makes moving Grandal to DH 40-50 games a lot more palatable

In all honesty, this is a great move outside of some minor character concerns.  Maybe a change of scenery gets the bat going a bit as well.

17 minutes ago, Lillian said:

Why is he considered any more useful than Ciuffo? I thought that they had found a solid defense back up catcher, with him.

Ciuffo has a grand total of 56 major league PAs.  McGuire has 400.  So you can't even get a handle on Ciuffo.  Plus, I assume Ciuffo still has options. 

48 minutes ago, VAfan said:

Seby doesn't add anything.  He's a negative both offensively and defensively.  His one main highlight last year was working the walk in the Field of Dreams game so Tim could hit a walk-off HR.  

And it's not like he would necessarily get snapped up by someone else.  My guess is he could clear waivers and get re-signed for AAA depth.  

Or hitting three homers in a game...

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, chw42 said:

Collins may be a better bat with a bit more of a ceiling at the plate, but he just never made enough contact to stick as a hitter. His framing and defense was also some of the worst in baseball last year. It was time to move on.

Agreed, but thats a low bar. Collins is a woof hitter and always will be

28 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

In all honesty, this is a great move outside of some minor character concerns.  Maybe a change of scenery gets the bat going a bit as well.

Well, considering we just gave up on Hostetler's 1-1 and he's now in pro scouting...it's something.  The gradual elimination of every single first round draft pick from the active roster other than TA7 and AV (for now).  Maybe better to fully write out Andrew Vaughn in this thread...

54 minutes ago, VAfan said:

Sebys 3 hr game was one of the highlights of the season.

1 hour ago, KrankinSox said:

I am jacked up for this trade. Really think this will help us spank the competition. Collins wasn't a jerk, but he was really starting to rub me the wrong way. Now Grandal won't have to play with himself as the only legit catcher on the roster. This will give Tony a hand when setting the lineup when Grandal needs a day off.  Not sure McGuire has much of an offensive stroke, but he can handle himself behind the plate and maybe he'll whack a few out of the park.

That is well done!!

Way to take your analysis in