Cueto to Sox (Official)

Chicago White Sox

Perhaps a new trend will soon emerge, in which more movement and less velocity is valued. The way hitters have adapted to the high 90's velocity, pitchers might be better served concentrating on getting more movement. However, until some "sticky substance" is approved, that is going to be very difficult. Someone should revive the use of the knuckle ball. That's a pitch that, when thrown well, always seemed to baffle even the best hitters and a guy like Wilbur Wood, not that there were others like him, could throw it all day long, with no wear and tear on their arm. 

Edited by Lillian

52 minutes ago, Lillian said:

I had always understood that Nolan Ryan's mechanics were very good, especially the way in which he employed that unusual very high leg kick. What was it about his mechanics that was considered "bad"? 

Mostly the way he threw breaking pitches. He "snapped" his wrist during those and it puts tremendous strain the arm especially the elbow.

46 minutes ago, Lillian said:

Perhaps a new trend will soon emerge, in which more movement and less velocity is valued. The way hitters have adapted to the high 90's velocity, pitchers might be better served concentrating on getting more movement. However, until some "sticky substance" is approved, that is going to be very difficult. Someone should revive the use of the knuckle ball. That's a pitch that, when thrown well, always seemed to baffle even the best hitters and a guy like Wilbur Wood, not that there were others like him, could throw it all day long, with no wear and tear on their arm. 

I also thought that was what Don Cooper believed. 

• bmags unpinned this topic
1 hour ago, ptatc said:

Mostly the way he threw breaking pitches. He "snapped" his wrist during those and it puts tremendous strain the arm especially the elbow.

This is true (and dang his curveball was great!) but Ryan's fastball mechanics were good correct? So the question goes back to why he was durable but nobody else since.

1 hour ago, SpringfieldFan said:

This is true (and dang his curveball was great!) but Ryan's fastball mechanics were good correct? So the question goes back to why he was durable but nobody else since.

Genetics. Some people just can do it when no one else can. Look at the old submarine motions no one would dream of teaching it but some could do it.

The mechanics and motions we teach are what the average is for decrease stress throughout the arm. But it's like posture who has perfect posture and does everyone have issues with it. There are anatomic variations that make some motions good or bad for individuals. 

In all sports trying to compare every pitcher to a HOF and one of the best of all time is not usually the way to go as they just have some physical traits that make them better than us normal people and there is nothing we can do about it.

Edited by ptatc
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ptatc said:

Genetics. Some people just can do it when no one else can. Look at the old submarine motions no one would dream of teaching it but some could do it.

The mechanics and motions we teach are what the average is for decrease stress throughout the arm. But it's like posture who has perfect posture and does everyone have issues with it. There are anatomic variations that make some motions good or bad for individuals. 

In all sports trying to compare every pitcher to a HOF and one of the best of all time is not usually the way to go as they just have some physical traits that make them better than us normal people and there is nothing we can do about it.

I'm with you there. it just seemed the implication was that Ryan's durability as a flamethrower was amazing because his poor mechanics shouldn't have allowed it. His fastball mechanics weren't part of the equation though because they weren't poor. My takeaway is that no flamethrower, regardless of mechanics, should be able to last as long as he did. Maybe he is doubly amazing. He was able to have a long career throwing 100+, and also throwing those elbow straining curveballs. Either should have shortened it.

Edited by SpringfieldFan

43 minutes ago, SpringfieldFan said:

I'm with you there. it just seemed the implication was that Ryan's durability as a flamethrower was amazing because his poor mechanics shouldn't have allowed it. His fastball mechanics weren't part of the equation though because they weren't poor. My takeaway is that no flamethrower, regardless of mechanics, should be able to last as long as he did. Maybe he is doubly amazing. He was able to have a long career throwing 100+, and also throwing those elbow straining curveballs. Either should have shortened it.

Correct. He was just a guy who could take the abuse. Most mortals can't. 

I'm still not a fan of his mechanics and of his coach, Tom House but I wouldn't say it was a reason to say it is the reason for injury.

Edited by ptatc
  • Like 1

On 4/6/2022 at 5:29 PM, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Ok we'll see but if Covid slows him down at all or the late start to spring training it might take him till May to make a start that lasts as long as 5 innings. Maybe that helps him towards the end of the season. He was all over the place in his last ST start and only threw 4 innings in both starts combined so he isn't close to going 5 yet effectively.

Oh, he already made it to a 5 inning start, in his second start lol. Still stretching out but I fully expect a 7 inning outing at some point later this month.

Only 2 starts in but 9 innings, 3 hits, 1 ER thus far looks the part of a future ace to me..

4 hours ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

Oh, he already made it to a 5 inning start, in his second start lol. Still stretching out but I fully expect a 7 inning outing at some point later this month.

Only 2 starts in but 9 innings, 3 hits, 1 ER thus far looks the part of a future ace to me..

I saw that, very nice, but do you really want him to go 7 ? Aren't you worried at all that he won't enough  left for the playoffs ?

1 hour ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I saw that, very nice, but do you really want him to go 7 ? Aren't you worried at all that he won't enough  left for the playoffs ?

I’m more focused on pitch count than inning count. If he’s at less than 100 pitches, I’m absolutely ok with him throwing 7 innings.