Cueto to Sox (Official)

Chicago White Sox

11 hours ago, hogan873 said:

I saw that quote, too.  It certainly could be the case.

I'm not sold on Keuchel's one good start.  I wouldn't mind seeing what Cueto could do for a start or two.

I don't think anyone is sold on Vinnie's back to back starts either but it's somewhat encouraging to think they could've unlocked something in him that was previously undiscovered. But it's not something I'd be looking to do when you are supposedly looking to win championships .

I mean, sure, every team takes low cost flyers every year but when Keuchel was already bad and you know he will still be in the rotation until he proves he is still bad, it's a very precarious chance to take. Throw in that Kopech might not be able to pitch in the playoffs and Lynn is like the Grandal of starting pitchers with his knee and age, things are unnecessarily dangerous for upper management to preach multiple championships while throwing junk out there.

Snake oil salesmen, used car dealers and carnivals could learn a thing or 2 from Reinsdorf. Anyone who ,at this point ,sticks up for management is pretty much who P.T. Barnum or some banker was talking about being born every minute.

https://medium.com/skeptikai/the-real-story-behind-the-quote-theres-a-sucker-born-every-minute-1db9a7220d34

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

6 hours ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I don't think anyone is sold on Vinnie's back to back starts either but it's somewhat encouraging to think they could've unlocked something in him that was previously undiscovered. But it's not something I'd be looking to do when you are supposedly looking to win championships .

I mean, sure, every team takes low cost flyers every year but when Keuchel was already bad and you know he will still be in the rotation until he proves he is still bad, it's a very precarious chance to take. Throw in that Kopech might not be able to pitch in the playoffs and Lynn is like the Grandal of starting pitchers with his knee and age, things are unnecessarily dangerous for upper management to preach multiple championships while throwing junk out there.

Snake oil salesmen, used car dealers and carnivals could learn a thing or 2 from Reinsdorf. Anyone who ,at this point ,sticks up for management is pretty much who P.T. Barnum or some banker was talking about being born every minute.

https://medium.com/skeptikai/the-real-story-behind-the-quote-theres-a-sucker-born-every-minute-1db9a7220d34

Agreed with everything, might want to change banker to barker…although JR might be a little of both at heart.

On 4/4/2022 at 11:40 PM, Chicago White Sox said:

5 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Did anyone confirm if it's $3.5 million regardless/guaranteed if he is recalled or if that amount is prorated based on his time on the active roster....basically $650-700k per month?

22 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Did anyone confirm if it's $3.5 million regardless/guaranteed if he is recalled or if that amount is prorated based on his time on the active roster....basically $650-700k per month?

I know that it would normally be pro-rated for time in majors. So the $3.5 is guaranteed and pro-rated from the when he is called up. People here seem to indicate there may be more specific language to they only pay him as long as he’s on roster.

Edited by Bob Sacamano

1 hour ago, CentralChamps21 said:

A Sunday lineup without Mendick in it makes me think there's  a roster move about to be announced.

He can just decide not to opt out if they guarantee to add him Tuesday when the roster expands for double header.

Edited by Bob Sacamano

He didn't opt out (yet), so I think he was promised a call up for Tuesday. I'm guessing he'll be put on the team on Tuesday as the 27th man for the DH. If he pitches well enough, he'll stay on the team. If not, they cut ties with him. 

20 minutes ago, chw42 said:

He didn't opt out (yet), so I think he was promised a call up for Tuesday. I'm guessing he'll be put on the team on Tuesday as the 27th man for the DH. If he pitches well enough, he'll stay on the team. If not, they cut ties with him. 

If he makes the team(even for one day), isn't he guaranteed 5 million? You don't bring him up for a try out at that number.

Just now, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

If he makes the team(even for one day), isn't he guaranteed 5 million? You don't bring him up for a try out at that number.

We still really don’t know what they meant when they said his contract was pro-rated, whether that was the entire contract somehow or just “he loses money until he’s called up”. If it’s the former, and there is a legal contract structure that pays him $4 million prorated to how long he’s on the big league roster, then calling him up and figuring things out later is fine.

5 minutes ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

I've always assumed it's pro-rated based on the days he's on the ML roster. 

Typically MLB deals are fully guaranteed.  Most likely is that Cueto's deal is prorated from the day he makes the major league roster, and is paid the full remaining amount over the rest of the season from then on.

Right now 20.37% of games have been played, so subtracting that much off of his $4.2m leaves about 3.35 million over the rest of the season.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Typically MLB deals are fully guaranteed.  Most likely is that Cueto's deal is prorated from the day he makes the major league roster, and is paid the full remaining amount over the rest of the season from then on.

Right now 20.37% of games have been played, so subtracting that much off of his $4.2m leaves about 3.35 million over the rest of the season.

Which makes this a bit of an expensive gamble based on all the circumstances.  Not my $, but paying cueto $3.5M for a few starts doesn't seem like the wisest decision.  Have a hard time seeing him stick in this rotation for more than that.  

27 minutes ago, TheTruth05 said:

That "two time all star" tweet announcing Cueto being called up is cringe as shit. We supposed to get hyped up or something? lol

They forgot to say it was 2020 Gold Glove finalist Danny Mendick that was sent down.