Cueto to Sox (Official)

Chicago White Sox

28 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

I don't think it has anything to do with paying him.  He's been terrible at AAA.  There is no indication whatsoever he'd be an improvement over the current 5.  If he was dicing up AAA hitters, he'd be here already.  

There it is.

25 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

I don't understand why we haven't called him up yet. He's wasting starts in Charlotte at this point. He can come up and take some of the stress off of our arms. 

Have you looked at his stats in AAA?  Who exactly he is taking stress off of in the bigs?  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Have you looked at his stats in AAA?  Who exactly he is taking stress off of in the bigs?  

They said he looked good in terms of his throwing. He isn't going to get better or worse down there. I'd take him over DK in a heart beat. 

Just now, SonofaRoache said:

They said he looked good in terms of his throwing. He isn't going to get better or worse down there. I'd take him over DK in a heart beat. 

His coaches aren’t going to say he looks bad. 

• Like 1

I'm not advocating for or against calling him up but if I recall correctly Lopez looked awful in AAA before getting called up. 

Dallas was also effective in his last start so I'm sure that has something to do with Cueto still being in Charlotte as well.

• Like 2

I get the feeling we are holding on to him for as long as we can for an insurance policy.  I really think if we thought he could help, he would already be here.  They have him until the 15th, so just in case an injury or something happens to change the equation they aren't releasing him yet.

7 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

I get the feeling we are holding on to him for as long as we can for an insurance policy.  I really think if we thought he could help, he would already be here.  They have him until the 15th, so just in case an injury or something happens to change the equation they aren't releasing him yet.

My guess is they call him up to start one of the DH games on Tuesday*.  Not like we have any better options.  If he sucks, he gowne.  

*Probably will have to make the move on Sunday unless Cueto Ok's they waiting a couple days. 

Edited by ChiSox59
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

His coaches aren’t going to say he looks bad. 

Kelly raved about Cueto's stuff.  Said that his numbers weren't bad due to stuff, but rather the AAA umps being unable to deal with the movement on his pitches.  Take it for what it's worth....

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, mmmmmbeeer said:

Kelly raved about Cueto's stuff.  Said that his numbers weren't bad due to stuff, but rather the AAA umps being unable to deal with the movement on his pitches.  Take it for what it's worth....

That and is he worse than DK? At least he has stuff and is right handed. 

1 hour ago, CentralChamps21 said:

I have to think he at least gets called up to make a couple starts during this stretch of 18 games in 17 days, and then based on that they can make a full season decision on him after that.

I was thinking that we would never see him in a Sox uniform but you make a good point about this upcoming stretch of games.  Might not be a bad idea to give him a shot somewhere in there and evaluate after. 

6 minutes ago, mmmmmbeeer said:

I saw that quote, too.  It certainly could be the case.

I'm not sold on Keuchel's one good start.  I wouldn't mind seeing what Cueto could do for a start or two.

1 hour ago, zisk said:

Maybe they might try piggybacking with Dallas for a few starts. 
Start one guy and then bring in the other to flip the other teams 

line up. The lefty righty thing might help both of them a little.

Tony doesn't work like that.   That was how Rodon should have been managed with Kopech last year.   Makes too much sense.

I would love to see the TLR rest and recovery process from his St L days. 

1 hour ago, ChiSox59 said:

My guess is they call him up to start one of the DH games on Tuesday*.  Not like we have any better options.  If he sucks, he gowne.  

*Probably will have to make the move on Sunday unless Cueto Ok's they waiting a couple days. 

That's what I was thinking. He'll get one start and if he sucks he's gone. I don't really take anything from his AAA numbers. This is basically his spring training.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Superstar Lamar said:

That would be one awfully expensive start

I think its pro-rated based on days on the club.  So if he lasts 10 games on the roster (10/162=6.17%x$4.2M=$259k).  If its fully guaranteed upon arrival, no chance he gets the start.  

2 hours ago, Harry Chappas said:

Tony doesn't work like that.   That was how Rodon should have been managed with Kopech last year.   Makes too much sense.

I would love to see the TLR rest and recovery process from his St L days. 

They didn't treat Rodon like that because no one knew he would actually pitch like that then once he was pitching well they knew they weren't going to pay to keep him.

Rodon didn't want to be treated like that because he wanted to show he could do it and pitch well.

They will treat Kopech much differently 

1 hour ago, ptatc said:

They didn't treat Rodon like that because no one knew he would actually pitch like that then once he was pitching well they knew they weren't going to pay to keep him.

Rodon didn't want to be treated like that because he wanted to show he could do it and pitch well.

They will treat Kopech much differently 

Sounds like you are saying the Sox didn't give a damn about Rodon pitching in the playoffs even with him being their best starter just because they had already decided they weren't going to keep him or that they decided that no matter what they did he couldn't start in the playoffs.

If your stated goal is for "multiple Championships" how is the Sox deciding that that weren't going to pay him next year make any sense at all regarding how they were pitching him last year ? The only logical answer seems to be (according to your odd theory) they thought they could still win a World Series in 2021 without their best starting pitcher and that Rodon preferred that.

From the beginning of the 2021 season  through July 18 Rodon started 16 games and averaged 100.56 pitches per game. In just his 2nd (no hitter) and 3rd starts of the season he threw 224 pitches, his highest total in back to back games the entire season for him.

From July 24th through Sept. 29th Rodon started 8 games and averaged 76.25 pitches per start.

Now the Sox are playing pretty much the same as when Rodon wasn't at his best in the 2nd half and Kopech is taking his place in what appears to be a much lower chance of running away with the division . I truly hope that you thinking that they will treat Kopech much differently isn't misplaced.

My guess is that Kopech will not be strong enough to pitch in the playoffs if the Sox actually make the playoffs. Kopech does have some advantage that he pitched 69.1 innings last year as opposed to the 7.2 IP Rodon had in 2020. I would have felt much better having Rodon in the rotation with Kopech this year instead of Velasquez, Keuchel and maybe Cueto expected to get those "multiple championships".

18 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Sounds like you are saying the Sox didn't give a damn about Rodon pitching in the playoffs even with him being their best starter just because they had already decided they weren't going to keep him or that they decided that no matter what they did he couldn't start in the playoffs.

If your stated goal is for "multiple Championships" how is the Sox deciding that that weren't going to pay him next year make any sense at all regarding how they were pitching him last year ? The only logical answer seems to be (according to your odd theory) they thought they could still win a World Series in 2021 without their best starting pitcher and that Rodon preferred that.

From the beginning of the 2021 season  through July 18 Rodon started 16 games and averaged 100.56 pitches per game. In just his 2nd (no hitter) and 3rd starts of the season he threw 224 pitches, his highest total in back to back games the entire season for him.

From July 24th through Sept. 29th Rodon started 8 games and averaged 76.25 pitches per start.

Now the Sox are playing pretty much the same as when Rodon wasn't at his best in the 2nd half and Kopech is taking his place in what appears to be a much lower chance of running away with the division . I truly hope that you thinking that they will treat Kopech much differently isn't misplaced.

My guess is that Kopech will not be strong enough to pitch in the playoffs if the Sox actually make the playoffs. Kopech does have some advantage that he pitched 69.1 innings last year as opposed to the 7.2 IP Rodon had in 2020. I would have felt much better having Rodon in the rotation with Kopech this year instead of Velasquez, Keuchel and maybe Cueto expected to get those "multiple championships".

That’s far too logical.  Not to mention that the Yankees, Blue Jays and Angels have seemingly gotten much stronger.  The Astros so far are getting better results with Jeremy Pena and Verlander as well.

Obviously a lot of things can and will change, but the White Sox have to know their “veteran group” of guys in their 30’s like Lynn, Hendriks, Abreu, Grandal, Keuchel…with even more added this offseason…is going to hit their expiration dates soon.

Meanwhile, the young position core is pretty much injured or stagnating other than Robert and (hopefully) Vaughn.  So a LOT rides on the arms of the starting pitching staff.

Edited by caulfield12
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Tnetennba said:

I think somebody is getting sent down on Sunday to bring him up for the double header against KC next Tuesday.

As it stands right now, he isn't going to be on full rest until Monday. 

Edited by chw42