Are the 2022 White Sox better than the 2021 team? On offense, yes, by a lot!

VAfan

People are raving about the Dodgers and the Blue Jays offenses.  But let's just look at how much better the White Sox offense is likely to be this year. 

Here are the deadbeats of the 2021 offense. 

Player AB H HR BA OBP SLG OPS OPS+
Hernandez 194 45 3 0.232 0.309 0.299 0.608 69
Eaton 189 38 5 0.209 0.298 0.344 0.642 76
Mercedes 240 65 7 0.271 0.328 0.404 0.732 100
Goodwin 235 52 8 0.221 0.319 0.374 0.693 90
Mendick 164 36 2 0.22 0.303 0.289 0.589 64
Hamilton 127 28 2 0.22 0.242 0.378 0.62 67
Lamb 113 24 6 0.212 0.321 0.389 0.71 94
Madrigal 200 61 2 0.305 0.349 0.425 0.774 112
Jimenez (2021) 213 53 10 0.249 0.303 0.437 0.74 100
Vaughn (against RH) 298 66 7 0.222 0.277 0.332 0.61 69
Collins 195 41 4 0.21 0.33 0.338 0.669 66
Zavala 93 17 5 0.183 0.24 0.376 0.616 66
Totals 2261 526 61 0.232        

I'm not calculating collective OBP, SLG, OPS or OPS+, but you can see the situation. 

We had 2 players at league average - Mercedes and Jimenez - and 1 above - Madrigal.  Everyone else was below, often well below. 

EDIT:  The 2021 team had 5357 ABs, with a .256 BA, .336 OBP, and .422 SLG, and .758 OPS.  Most of these guys pulled those averages down.  Overall, 2261/5357 is 42% of the ABs.

Now here is a possible lineup of the 2022 Sox using their 2021 numbers.

Anderson 527 163 17 0.309 0.338 0.469 0.806 118
Robert total 275 93 13 0.338 0.378 0.567 0.945 156
Abreu 566 148 30 0.261 0.351 0.481 0.831 125
Grandal 279 67 23 0.24 0.42 0.52 0.939 157
Jimenez (2020) 213 63 14 0.296 0.332 0.559 0.891 139
Sheets (v. RHP) 160 38 11 0.268 0.344 0.556 0.9 145
Vaughan (v. LHP) 119 32 8 0.269 0.383 0.555 0.938 153
Pollock 384 114 21 0.297 0.355 0.536 0.892 137
Moncada 520 137 14 0.263 0.375 0.412 0.787 117
Harrison 505 141 8 0.279 0.341 0.4 0.741 106
Totals 3548 996 159 0.28        

(Note that Excel rounded off numbers, so 0.28 equal .280, for example.)

I've used Jimenez's 2020 numbers to approximate what he might look like in 2022.  I've used the splits for Sheets and Vaughn because they make a perfect platoon.  And I've moved Yoan Moncada to the bottom of the lineup because that's probably where he should hit unless he returns to his 2019 numbers. 

There are 10 players above, because I've put Sheets and Vaughn together as a platoon.  Here are the other 3 players likely to stay on the roster when the team cuts down to 26 players. I used Reese McGuire's totals against right handers because he has massive split differences and would likely play most of his time against righties.  

EDIT: The group above, if healthy, could end up with as many as 4500 ABs.  Robert could add 250-300, Grandal could add 100, Jimenez could add 300, Sheets/Vaughn could add 250, and Pollock could add 50.  

Garcia 415 111 5 0.267 0.335 0.376 0.711 96
McGuire (v. RHP) 158 43 1 0.272 0.333 0.367 0.7 95
Engel 123 31 7 0.252 0.336 0.496 0.832 124

This trio could get the lions share of the remaining ABs. 

And here are a couple of tidbits to consider.  What if Luis Robert hit like he did after he returned from injury last year, or if Moncada returned to his 2019 numbers?

Moncada (2019) 511 161 25 0.315 0.367 0.548 0.915 140
Robert after return 180 63 12 0.35 0.389 0.622 1.011 170

What to make of these numbers?  

1. Everyone of the main starters has an OPS above league average.  

To provide some context here, the Blue Jays led baseball last year with a collective OPS+ of 115.  The White Sox were 4th at 107.  

Every hitter on the Sox except Josh Harrison is likely to exceed an OPS+ of 115, often by a LOT.  And the 3 bench players are divided, with Engel above, and Garcia and McGuire just below league average. 

2. Most of the team is getting better. 

Tim Anderson, Luis Robert, Eloy Jimenez, Gavin Sheets, and Andrew Vaughn are all on the upswing.  Yoan Moncada could be too.  

It's possible that Abreu, Grandal, Pollock and Harrison will decline somewhat.  But with more on the upswing, it's possible the Sox could hit better than these numbers.

3. The aggregate totals are way below the likely totals because they include partial years from key players.

You have partial years or small samples from Robert, Jimenez, Grandal, Sheets/Vaughn, and to a lesser extent Anderson and Pollock.  

So the HR's you might expect from this group, for example, should be much higher.   The Sox led the AL in HRs in 2020.  They might vie for the ML lead in 2022.  

4. Unfortunately, there may be injuries this year too.  But the team is in a better place to respond.

Of course we don't want to lose Robert or Jimenez or Grandal again.  But if we do, we are in a better position to respond.  Pollock can play CF, or Engel can.  Sheets/Vaughn can cover the outfield corners.  Garcia can cover everywhere.  And we still have some productive hitters in AAA in Jake Burger, for example.  

So, while I'm concerned about the pitching, I believe the White Sox offense could be the best in baseball this year if everyone stays healthy. 

EDIT: One thing that's kind of fascinating is that I looked up the top scoring White Sox team of all time.  It's the 2000 club, which scored 978 runs.  They had a collective OPS of .826.  The 2021 team had an OPS of .758.   7 of the 2022 regulars exceeded an .826 OPS last year or in Jimenez's case, in 2020.  So, if all went perfectly, perhaps the Sox could beat that total.  But 978 runs?  The Astros led baseball last year with 863.  Last time a MLB team exceeded 900 runs was in 2019, when 4 teams did it.  

GO SOX!!

Edited by VAfan
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 2

On paper, overall, no.  If the offense doesn’t suffer the same catastrophic injuries, that will be better.  The pitching has already suffered serious injury even after losing a 4 WAR starter w/o replacement.  With little depth to fall back on and luck already not on their side, it’s tough to see them as an improved team overall heading into opening day. 

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, VAfan said:

So, while I'm concerned about the pitching, I believe the White Sox offense could be the best in baseball this year if everyone stays healthy. 

I believe I could be in the best shape of my life, If I started eating better and worked out 6 days a week…..which seems about just as likely to happen as the White Sox offense staying healthy all season. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Tnetennba said:

On paper, overall, no.  If the offense doesn’t suffer the same catastrophic injuries, that will be better.  The pitching has already suffered serious injury even after losing a 4 WAR starter w/o replacement.  With little depth to fall back on and luck already not on their side, it’s tough to see them as an improved team overall heading into opening day. 

4.9 fWAR.

And VaFan gets points I guess for relentless positivity/optimism.

I just wonder if the marketing department sent out a daily Sox Brief with his thoughts....if it would boost season ticket sales or actually have the reverse effect?

Every new season, there are lots of possibilities, and then 3-5 things we never imagined were possible, such as Yermin in April and the long list of obscure outfielders who had to fill in for Eloy, Robert and Engel.

I get the main point, of course, but trying to cover up for the holes in the starting staff, bullpen and especially the defense (hopefully Sheets never plays RF again) isn't going to make things any better by wishing them away.

They do have a better defense simply getting Vaughn and Sheets out of RF, that's inarguable...although opponents will definitely test Pollock's arm from the get-go.

So when the Sox rake on offense I guess all you guys will just complain about something else.

Not sure why appreciating the Sox is seen so negatively by Sox "fans".

And if the Sox win anything, just don't dare come on here and celebrate it.  

• Like 2

If the offense is relatively healthy, then yes it should be better than last year:

• Robert & Eloy both available for full seasons and getting better
  • Grandal even more productive with his knee issues resolved
  • Pollack providing superior production in RF for ~120 games over Eaton and filler
  • Vaughn taking a big 2nd year jump (he won’t platooned though)
  • Moncada’s power numbers improving as he continues to recover from long COVID
  • Deeper bench (Leury, Sheets, Engel) and AAA depth (Burger, Romy, Haseley).

The problem is for as much optimism as there is on the positional side of things, there should be an equal amount of pessimism on the pitching side of things.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, VAfan said:

So when the Sox rake on offense I guess all you guys will just complain about something else.

“Success is never final, failure is never fatal, and it’s courage that counts.”

4 hours ago, VAfan said:

When you are always positive people see it as fake, like the way Steve Garvey was seen. Garvey with the Superman good looks , big smile ,very good hitter and fielder was a fan favorite though and that attitude got him tons of commercials, motivation speaker gigs , radio and TV time. A lot of his peers didn't like him. They called him The Senator and Mr. Perfect.

You should know by now that losing game threads are twice as long as winning ones.

It's not macho to be all sweet , kind and positive because you end up looking like a caricature .

How often to you hear it's exhausting rather than , it's refreshing.

7 hours ago, VAfan said:

Forget it, Jake...It's Soxtalk.
Forget It, Jake, It's Chinatown:' What The Movie Line Means

Edited by RibbieRubarb
typo
  • Haha 2

Coming into last spring training I was significantly more optimistic:

Thought Moncada could be a superstar.

Thought Madrigal could be an above average 2B (he is not and neither is Harrison).

Was a tad higher on both Eloy & Vaughn (obviously nothing is etched in stone but any reasonable projections would surely be a tad lower this season).

Abreu and Grandal are a year older.  

The only clear upgrade is Pollock (and Sheets I guess)  while TA & Robert probably hold serve from my projections last year.  

7 hours ago, VAfan said:

And I’m sure you’ll find something else about the “complaining” to complain about yourself.  Being critical of your front office’s moves in no way makes you less of a fan.  Implying such is BS.   Blind optimism and labelling anyone critical as “fans” as if they are some how lesser is just as annoying to read as the overly doom & gloom pessimism.  You don’t have to be here if it’s such a drag.  

• Like 2

Yes, the offense could indeed be something really extraordinary, and there is decent depth there, as well. It might be the best Sox lineup I've ever seen, dating back to 1953, when I became a Sox fan. However, the starting pitching is very, very thin, and that's where all teams are most vulnerable to injury. The kinds of injuries which effect pitchers, are often season ending. The Sox have a great and deep offense, but a vulnerable and thin rotation. What is the obvious solution?... I've made the assertion several times; trade some of that offense, for a starter. So, whom could Hahn acquire and what would he need to sacrifice? 

Edited by Lillian

44 minutes ago, GREEDY said:

Coming into last spring training I was significantly more optimistic:

Thought Moncada could be a superstar.

Thought Madrigal could be an above average 2B (he is not and neither is Harrison).

Was a tad higher on both Eloy & Vaughn (obviously nothing is etched in stone but any reasonable projections would surely be a tad lower this season).

Abreu and Grandal are a year older.  

The only clear upgrade is Pollock (and Sheets I guess)  while TA & Robert probably hold serve from my projections last year.  

Madrigal  was actually above average despite all the talk about his bad base running and fielding in his rookie year. In his limited time in 2021 he was a positive base runner (UBR 2.0 )and fielder ( OAA 1.0, UZR .6)

As a hitter in both 2020 and 2021 his wRC+ were respectively 111 and 113 and the Sox will miss the financial flexibility he provided. It sucked that like  many of our young players that he was injured too much.

I will also say that Vaughn will be an upgrade. I don't think there's any chance his 2nd year in MLB will be worse than his 1st year.

Robert should be a huge upgrade because he haven't even got to see him play yet for any extended period of time.

Eloy is capable of doing better than last year since he has proven he can slug .500+ . He also just has to stay on the field more.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Madrigal  was actually above average despite all the talk about his bad base running and fielding in his rookie year. In his limited time in 2021 he was a positive base runner (UBR 2.0 )and fielder ( OAA 1.0, UZR .6)

As a hitter in both 2020 and 2021 his wRC+ were respectively 111 and 113 and the Sox will miss the financial flexibility he provided. It sucked that like  many of our young players that he was injured too much.

I will also say that Vaughn will be an upgrade. I don't think there's any chance his 2nd year in MLB will be worse than his 1st year.

Robert should be a huge upgrade because he haven't even got to see him play yet for any extended period of time.

Eloy is capable of doing better than last year since he has proven he can slug .500+ . He also just has to stay on the field more.

My post, to differ from the obvious was to point out where we sat coming into last season.  

I am lower on the majority than I was at this time last year.

On Madrigal specifically Just eyeballing his numbers, even if you extrapolate for a full season he would have been firmly in the middle tier of 3.  

If Madrigal plays 140+ games, he'll be significantly better than the Leury/Harrison platoon, but I don't give very good odds that Madrigal plays 140+ games.

I don't expect Eloy or Luis to suffer significant injuries again. Those were fluke things. They aren't injury prone like Madrigal.

Even if Pollock only plays 100 games that will be an upgrade in RF.

Hopefully we have Grandal for a full season. While we all like the defensive upgrade in McGuire, the offense would suffer if he has to catch much more than 40 games.

Moncada is the one I really worry about. I'm worried that he may struggle to recover from long COVID (if that's what is affecting him). I wouldn't be surprised to see regression from him.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, CentralChamps21 said:

If Madrigal plays 140+ games, he'll be significantly better than the Leury/Harrison platoon, but I don't give very good odds that Madrigal plays 140+ games.

I don't expect Eloy or Luis to suffer significant injuries again. Those were fluke things. They aren't injury prone like Madrigal.

Even if Pollock only plays 100 games that will be an upgrade in RF.

Hopefully we have Grandal for a full season. While we all like the defensive upgrade in McGuire, the offense would suffer if he has to catch much more than 40 games.

Moncada is the one I really worry about. I'm worried that he may struggle to recover from long COVID (if that's what is affecting him). I wouldn't be surprised to see regression from him.

How many White Sox games have you watched the last three seasons?

20 minutes ago, GREEDY said:

My post, to differ from the obvious was to point out where we sat coming into last season.  

I am lower on the majority than I was at this time last year.

On Madrigal specifically Just eyeballing his numbers, even if you extrapolate for a full season he would have been firmly in the middle tier of 3.  

Right I was going to put your caveat of your expectations at the end of my post but didn't.

I never had expectations for Vaughn in his 1st year the same as I don't have them for Kopech in his 1st time as a full time starting pitcher.

My expectations for Robert and Robert are pretty much the same as last year to fulfill the high side of as yet unfulfilled consistency by staying on the field.

I, too, thought he could be a superstar but only after 2019 when he played very well, but in the bold predictions from last year many were saying boldly he would be MVP. After 2020 I didn't share those thoughts. It was a combination of him getting Covid and reports he was just irresponsible with who he was hanging out with that changed my expectations.

16 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Right I was going to put your caveat of your expectations at the end of my post but didn't.

I never had expectations for Vaughn in his 1st year the same as I don't have them for Kopech in his 1st time as a full time starting pitcher.

My expectations for Robert and Robert are pretty much the same as last year to fulfill the high side of as yet unfulfilled consistency by staying on the field.

I, too, thought he could be a superstar but only after 2019 when he played very well, but in the bold predictions from last year many were saying boldly he would be MVP. After 2020 I didn't share those thoughts. It was a combination of him getting Covid and reports he was just irresponsible with who he was hanging out with that changed my expectations.

Robert and Moncada... just to be clear your last paragraph is about Yoan and not Luis. 

4 hours ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

When you are always positive people see it as fake, like the way Steve Garvey was seen. Garvey with the Superman good looks , big smile ,very good hitter and fielder was a fan favorite though and that attitude got him tons of commercials, motivation speaker gigs , radio and TV time. A lot of his peers didn't like him. They called him The Senator and Mr. Perfect.

You should know by now that losing game threads are twice as long as winning ones.

It's not macho to be all sweet , kind and positive because you end up looking like a caricature .

How often to you hear it's exhausting rather than , it's refreshing.

I'm not an apologist for the front office, which I'm often made out to be.  I pulled for Rodon being re-signed more than just about anyone on this site, and think it was a big mistake that the Sox didn't do it, for example.  

I think the Sox now have serious pitching concerns, and if the pitching really implodes, it's very hard to hit your way out of it.   But we'll find out soon enough.

• Like 1