TLR 2022 Thread

chitownsportsfan

7 hours ago, ShoeLessRob said:

Bozo's_Circus_1968.jpg

Side bar. I was running out of games to play with my 8th graders. Basically it was a competition where they correctly use a vocabulary word in conversation then get to play a game. Groups would compete against each other.

Then I remembered the grand prize game. Only I made it table top with some plastic cups and ping pong balls. Then instead of one long line, I arranged them like bowling pins.

I then stood back and realized I had the kids playing beer pong. Lol

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Texsox said:

Side bar. I was running out of games to play with my 8th graders. Basically it was a competition where they correctly use a vocabulary word in conversation then get to play a game. Groups would compete against each other.

Then I remembered the grand prize game. Only I made it table top with some plastic cups and ping pong balls. Then instead of one long line, I arranged them like bowling pins.

I then stood back and realized I had the kids playing beer pong. Lol

Probably one of the more useful skills they'll learn for higher education!

• Thanks 1

For the record, I defended the hiring of TLR when most were rabidly against him.   He's not a perfect manager by any means, and I'm sure I'll question many of his decisions this year, but he is a HOF'er for a reason, and has won more games than anyone in the integrated era of MLB.   I don't think the game has passed him by.  

2 hours ago, VAfan said:

For the record, I defended the hiring of TLR when most were rabidly against him.   He's not a perfect manager by any means, and I'm sure I'll question many of his decisions this year, but he is a HOF'er for a reason, and has won more games than anyone in the integrated era of MLB.   I don't think the game has passed him by.  

His Hall of Fame credentials mean nothing to me. The reasoning behind and the execution of the hire was just plain dumb. Mabe the Sox will still win with him, but this was dumb strategy. 

1 hour ago, NWINFan said:

His Hall of Fame credentials mean nothing to me. The reasoning behind and the execution of the hire was just plain dumb. Mabe the Sox will still win with him, but this was dumb strategy. 

Not sure why it's a "dumb strategy" to hire the winningest manager in major league history, who has led 3 teams to World Series wins.   It would be "dumb strategy" to hire Ricky Renteria to manage this team.  

Edited by VAfan

1 hour ago, VAfan said:

Not sure why it's a "dumb strategy" to hire the winningest manager in major league history, who has led 3 teams to World Series wins.   It would be "dumb strategy" to hire Ricky Renteria to manage this team.  

Does Connie Mack know?

3 hours ago, VAfan said:

My point is that his past record is not relevant. Is he the right man for the job now? I don't think so.

Yes, it was dumb, when the FO interviewed next to nobody else and didn't properly think this decision through.  That's how they hired Ricky and Ventura.

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, NWINFan said:

My point is that his past record is not relevant. Is he the right man for the job now? I don't think so.

Yes, it was dumb, when the FO interviewed next to nobody else and didn't properly think this decision through.  That's how they hired Ricky and Ventura.

Are you saying anyone's past managerial record isn't relevant or just Tony's record isn't relevant? 

13 hours ago, Texsox said:

Are you saying anyone's past managerial record isn't relevant or just Tony's record isn't relevant? 

I am saying a past record is not always an indicator that a man is the right person for a manager's job at a particular time. He might not be the right man for that particular team. We would assume that a hire would occur when the candidate has some kind of good track record even if he has no major league managerial experience. But some men are good with younger teams, some are better with veteran teams. I think La Russa had been away from the game as a manager for too long.

Away from the game too long? He just managed a team this past season that overcame a myriad of key injuries to win their division by the largest margin of any team. Will he still be away from the game too long next season? The season after? 

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Texsox said:

Away from the game too long? He just managed a team this past season that overcame a myriad of key injuries to win their division by the largest margin of any team. Will he still be away from the game too long next season? The season after? 

How about the White Sox win it all this season and he can go away from the game as long as he wants.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Tony is a great manager IMO. The reason Sox are flailing still is INJURIES. Something's wrong there. Way too many. Also our pitching staff still blows, though most in baseball do also. Nuttin wrong with Tony. (I do think Sox have a WS roster, but it's far from special).

Edited by greg775

Engel not coming in to replace Eloy after he batted in the 8th was an obvious in the moment mistake. He certainly should have been in the game with the Sox up 1 in the 9th. Bullpen management I think was fine, it just didn't work out, but if Engel is on the roster then he has to be in defensively to protect late inning leads.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, ron883 said:

Don't worry, Balta already added today's game to his annual "list of games lost by TLR".

Nah, this one wasn’t all that much on the manager. One moderately minor mistake, and almost incidental.

If Eloy had misplayed something in LF, that’s one thing. If Pollock had hurt his throwing arm on the play or something like that, same difference. Those works be the direct consequence of him not making that move. We are almost talking about an incidental play - yeah Engel probably makes that, but it’s a little bit unlucky that Pollock didn’t.

1 hour ago, maxjusttyped said:

Engel not coming in to replace Eloy after he batted in the 8th was an obvious in the moment mistake. He certainly should have been in the game with the Sox up 1 in the 9th. Bullpen management I think was fine, it just didn't work out, but if Engel is on the roster then he has to be in defensively to protect late inning leads.

I think the biggest mistake (other than DUIs) TLR has consistently made is defensive replacements. He’s missed some really obvious ones. Late innings with the lead, it’s going to make sense to have AJP in left, Robert in center, and Engel in right. Don’t worry about the batting order.

His BP management is ok (other than not giving Kimbrel an opportunity to close). It’s not his fault when relievers fail to do their jobs. Eg. Bummer coming in and walking guys followed by a bleeder through the infield - there’s nothing TLR can do about that.

1 hour ago, Middle Buffalo said:

I think the biggest mistake (other than DUIs) TLR has consistently made is defensive replacements. He’s missed some really obvious ones. Late innings with the lead, it’s going to make sense to have AJP in left, Robert in center, and Engel in right. Don’t worry about the batting order.

His BP management is ok (other than not giving Kimbrel an opportunity to close). It’s not his fault when relievers fail to do their jobs. Eg. Bummer coming in and walking guys followed by a bleeder through the infield - there’s nothing TLR can do about that.

Garcia 6th and Harrison 7th shows me they don't really look at the line up all that deeply.  Also defense is not highly thought of.

This season started like last ended.  Offense went dormant after the 2nd inning and relievers walking guys.

• 2 weeks later...

Has to be bumped after yesterday’s fiasco.

“Harrison, Haseley, Leury batting 1-3. You could go back the past 10 years of MLB games and be hard pressed to find a worse 1-3 in any lineup. They had Grandal, Sheets, Vaughn, and Engel playing. You don’t hit the worst 3 hitters on your roster at the top of the lineup, maximizing their number of at bats.

I think this goes beyond dumb/questionable choices…..(and) I refuse to believe that even TLR is dumb enough to put those 3 at the top of a lineup by accident…..As people said last year, if this team goes anywhere, it will be in spite of TLR. He is just a huge drag on this team.”

Then not PHing for any of those guys the last 2-3 innings.  Inexplicable.  Luis Robert, sure, give him an opportunity to clear his head on the bench and watch from a different perspective.  But there were still lots of bullets not fired.

https://soxmachine.com/white-sox-game-recaps/guardians-2-white-sox-1-lineup-meets-expectations/

Edited by caulfield12