TLR 2022 Thread

chitownsportsfan

3 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

The fan base theoretically has a hand in this.  He should be getting worn out to no end from Sox fans this homestand.  Hopefully the media turns up the pressure too.  

I know we’re always going on about loyalty within the White Sox organization, but if we lose the next three to Kansas City I don’t see how he finishes out the week. Fortunately for TLR and JR, I’m sure we won't be swept by the Royals at home

12 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Its midseason.  Going to be tough to find an external guy at this point.  If we're lucky enough that TLR gets fired or asked to step down (again, fantasy land) - it'll be McEwing on a interim basis.  Then hopefully the org does a real managerial search in the offseason.  

Quit going to games.  That's it. That's the way.  That's what it took for the Bulls to clean house.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Flash Tizzle said:

I know we’re always going on about loyalty within the White Sox organization, but if we lose the next three to Kansas City I don’t see how he finishes out the week. Fortunately for TLR and JR, I’m sure we won't be swept by the Royals at home

There is no way LaRussa gets fired or steps down because of a 6-12 start, lets be realistic here.

We are all frustrated by the start to the season, but there is a ton of baseball still to play. Best case scenario I guess is the team struggles all year and then LaRussa gets fired or steps down. Theres just no chance that it happens this week even with a Royals sweep.

6 minutes ago, T R U said:

There is no way LaRussa gets fired or steps down because of a 6-12 start, lets be realistic here.

We are all frustrated by the start to the season, but there is a ton of baseball still to play. Best case scenario I guess is the team struggles all year and then LaRussa gets fired or steps down. Theres just no chance that it happens this week even with a Royals sweep.

While I agree TLR is going nowhere, Sox don't really have the luxury to let 2022 slip away.  We've got 2 seasons before the core starts to disintegrate.  

Edited by ChiSox59

I wouldn't use the word hatred, but i've had a strong dislike for LaRussa going far back to his Oakland days . i really never could stand the guy . when he was hired, i was hoping that there would be a strong bench coach, that he would actually listen to, and take their advice when needed . someone to help him along . i'm just wondering if he might have dementia issues, and believe me, speaking as someone who knows, if that's the case, all his weird decisions then start to make sense . also, if the fans start to boo him, it wouldn't surprise me in the least, if he received an extension . JR is vindictive, if nothing else.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, chetkincaid said:

Why would anyone think Carlton Fisk would make a good manager in 2022? He’s 74 years old and hasn’t been around the game since he retired in 1993. The last time I heard anything about him in the news was when he caught drunk and sleeping behind the wheel of his pickup truck in a field in New Lenox. 

Talk about typecasting

10 minutes ago, White Sox Park said:

I wouldn't use the word hatred, but i've had a strong dislike for LaRussa going far back to his Oakland days . i really never could stand the guy . when he was hired, i was hoping that there would be a strong bench coach, that he would actually listen to, and take their advice when needed . someone to help him along . i'm just wondering if he might have dementia issues, and believe me, speaking as someone who knows, if that's the case, all his weird decisions then start to make sense . also, if the fans start to boo him, it wouldn't surprise me in the least, if he received an extension . JR is vindictive, if nothing else.

Nice Ken Berry avatar !

29 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

I don't know why anyone would be surprised. Hawk took a lot of heat for firing him, and he probably went about it wrong, especially his very public pursuit of Billy Martin. But this is the same stuff that upset people 35 years ago. The guy is a product of managing jugernauts. As soon as Oakland stopped paying everyone, they sucked and he went to the Cardinals. He's no genius. Never has been. Owes his roster everything. It's the only reason he can say he is a hall of fame baseball person. If he went to the Twins or Brewers or the Padres instead of a loaded A's roster ready to win, he just would have been another guy.

The fact remains LaRussa was not popular when he was in Chicago during his first tenure. He got a great deal of sympathy with the clownish way his firing was handled. I really don't think that JR wanted Hawk to fire LaRussa. That is where his guilt comes in. After all, Hawk was hired as GM with the condition that LaRussa would stay on as manager. All of this is not a reason that LaRussa should have been hired the second time around. Now LaRussa does have a challenge in turning this team around. We will see what he does with it.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

While I agree TLR is going nowhere, Sox don't really have the luxury to let 2022 slip away.  We've got 2 seasons before the core starts to disintegrate.  

For sure, if this team craters this season a move has to be made. Still not confident that happens though. As of now, they have the security blanket of injuries covering their asses.

1 hour ago, Tnetennba said:

He’s the only name I know.  He seemed like he was being groomed for the gig back when RR was let go, but I agree I don’t see them handing him the keys w/o spending time in the dugout with the big club. 

If you consider that if LaRussa is fired , wouldn't the Sox have to eat some part of his contract ? IF that were to happen they would probably want to save money by hiring Jirschele rather than pay for a big name . McEwing of course isn't a big name and but if Jirschele was hired McEwing might also be out the door.

2 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

If you consider that if LaRussa is fired , wouldn't the Sox have to eat some part of his contract ? IF that were to happen they would probably want to save money by hiring Jirschele rather than pay for a big name . McEwing of course isn't a big name and but if Jirschele was hired McEwing might also be out the door.

Besides LaRussa, the White Sox (JR) would never hire a big name manager expensive manager. When they ridiculously let go of Lamont with a depleted roster, even though they thought they were good enough to win, they went with Bevington. 

23 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Wasn't Paul Konerko almost a player manager?  I wonder what he thinks living in his 16,000 square foot house after a few years of retirment?

he has a PhD in hitting, not managing. 

Maybe JR will pull Hawk out of retirement just to fire TLR again. 

They are not going to fire LaRussa. No. 1 he's a Hall of Famer and Sox would be mocked big time. Jerry isn't going to embarrass his great friend over 3-4 bad weeks in April. No. 2, cmon. The team has so many injuries it's ridiculous. When a team is this banged up, you basically write off the season and try to get something out of it personnel wise while realizing the team in its injured form has absolutely no chance of winning.

Edited by greg775

29 minutes ago, T R U said:

For sure, if this team craters this season a move has to be made. Still not confident that happens though. As of now, they have the security blanket of injuries covering their asses.

Agreed -- not to mention the fact that we won the first three series of the season and are 6-9.  Not really all that "desperate" yet in real-world terms.  I still think we'll be able to win despite TLR in the long-term but it's just sad that we're stuck with him.  He's a bigger anchor on this team than I'd ever imagined, and I never liked the hire.  

Edited by 35thstreetswarm

4 minutes ago, greg775 said:

They are not going to fire LaRussa. No. 1 he's a Hall of Famer and Sox would be mocked big time. Jerry isn't going to embarrass his great friend over 3-4 bad weeks in April. No. 2, cmon. The team has so many injuries it's ridiculous. When a team is this banged up, you basically write off the season and try to get something out of it personnel wise while realizing the team in its injured form has absolutely no chance of winning.

Thankfully no one is mocking the team right now.

• Haha 4

18 minutes ago, greg775 said:

Greg , the Sox would not be mocked for firing TLR. Just like a player who has lost the physical gifts that once made them great, TLR is no longer able to put that HOF ego behind and manage with any sort of competence. He is a relic , a fossil from a bygone era, exhumed from the tar pits of Reinsdorf's mind.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Thankfully no one is mocking the team right now.

I suspect this is supposed to be sarcasm, but they're not really, at least outside this board.  I mean, I guess people who follow baseball day-to-day may be mocking them in the way one mocks a team with a weeklong losing streak in April, which is to say, a negligible amount.

Just now, 35thstreetswarm said:

I suspect this is supposed to be sarcasm, but they're not really, at least outside this board.  I mean, I guess people who follow baseball day-to-day may be mocking them in the way one mocks a team with a weeklong losing streak in April, which is to say, a negligible amount.

This franchise got universal attention around baseball for the 6 error game and the literal worst ever hitting of Leury Garcia in the 3rd slot.  They have also gotten a ton of attention for pitching to Buxton with a base open.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, NWINFan said:

The fact remains LaRussa was not popular when he was in Chicago during his first tenure. He got a great deal of sympathy with the clownish way his firing was handled. I really don't think that JR wanted Hawk to fire LaRussa. That is where his guilt comes in. After all, Hawk was hired as GM with the condition that LaRussa would stay on as manager. All of this is not a reason that LaRussa should have been hired the second time around. Now LaRussa does have a challenge in turning this team around. We will see what he does with it.

I didn't like LaRussa the first time he was here.  Was against JR hiring him back.  But I never thought he would be this bad. This is just ridiculous.  JR has got to go.

• Thanks 1