TLR 2022 Thread

chitownsportsfan

40 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

That list includes Robin "I'm just here so I don't get fined" Ventura,

I don't get it. Was Ventura in some kind of 'being fined' situation? I'm all in favor of Ventura as a person and a baseball kinda guy - I just never saw how he was a qualified candidate as a manager in his tenure. His hiring was one of those things that made me go ----- hhhhmmmm.

Edited by FoxForce2

3 minutes ago, FoxForce2 said:

I don't get it. Was Ventura in some kind of 'being fined' situation. I'm all in favor of Ventura as a person and a baseball kinda guy - I just never saw how he was a qualified candidate as a manager in his tenure. His hiring was one of those things that made me go ----- hhhhmmmm.

For the last 3.5 years of his tenure he clearly would have rather been on his couch. His lack off motivation showed everywhere.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, FoxForce2 said:

I don't get it. Was Ventura in some kind of 'being fined' situation. I'm all in favor of Ventura as a person and a baseball kinda guy - I just never saw how he was a qualified candidate as a manager in his tenure. His hiring was one of those things that made me go ----- hhhhmmmm.

Sorry I was riffing off of the infamous Marshawn Lynch quote from Super Bowl media day. Robin said at some point, maybe it was after he walked away, that he had to be talked into taking the managerial job. He didn't even really want the gig. And from what I can tell he's had nothing to do with MLB or baseball in any role since he walked away from the Sox gig.

• Thanks 3

17 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Sorry I was riffing off of the infamous Marshawn Lynch quote from Super Bowl media day. Robin said at some point, maybe it was after he walked away, that he had to be talked into taking the managerial job. He didn't even really want the gig. And from what I can tell he's had nothing to do with MLB or baseball in any role since he walked away from the Sox gig.

Konerko and Ventura both seem like they prefer to be around youth or high school teams...especially as it relate/s to their kids.

AJ Pierzynski is the ex player who gets brought up the most, arguably.

Jim Thome doesn't seem like he wants that kind of responsibility either.

22 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Konerko and Ventura both seem like they prefer to be around youth or high school teams...especially as it relate/s to their kids.

AJ Pierzynski is the ex player who gets brought up the most, arguably.

Jim Thome doesn't seem like he wants that kind of responsibility either.

Why do people always go to guys that played here, but have never even been coaches?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

Vaughn has arguably been their most dangerous hitter.

True. .300 with 3 hrs and 8 RBIs is pretty good. I shouldn't have included him. I assumed from the greg eye test he was more around .240ish. My bad. I like Vaughn and Sheets overall. ... I still don't think it's worth jumping me for this mistake. He's done OK and I like him and want him to remain a Sox. i just don't think of Babe Ruth yet when I see Vaughn, but stand corrected, my bad. ... Even tho Mendick rapped two hits the other day, the 7 8 9 slots in the lineup would make it tough for any skipper to win games on the south side right now.

Edited by greg775
  • Haha 3

40 minutes ago, greg775 said:

True. .300 with 3 hrs and 8 RBIs is pretty good. I shouldn't have included him. I assumed from the greg eye test he was more around .240ish. My bad. I like Vaughn and Sheets overall. ... I still don't think it's worth jumping me for this mistake. He's done OK and I like him and want him to remain a Sox. i just don't think of Babe Ruth yet when I see Vaughn, but stand corrected, my bad. ... Even tho Mendick rapped two hits the other day, the 7 8 9 slots in the lineup would make it tough for any skipper to win games on the south side right now.

Not jumping. Well the assumption here is that we all follow the team closely enough on a day to day basis to recognize who's hot and who's not. But clearly this losing streak is causing some to tune out or temporarily disconnect for psychological self-preservation or maybe it's protection purposes.

Edited by caulfield12
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Grienke and Keller suck. If they can't light up those guys, then they have serious problems. 

What do you think their fans are saying about Keuchel?

Greinke could end up giving a clearly pressing lineup fits.

Edited by caulfield12

1 minute ago, caulfield12 said:

What do you think their fans are saying about Keuchel?

Greinke could end up giving a clearly pressing lineup fits.

I don't think KC fans have the expectations Sox fans do. They're hoping for a season like the Sox had in 2019, where important future pieces establish themselves. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

10 hours ago, Chisoxfn said:

If they are going to go old school - go get someone like Scioscia. Who else is out there as a more seasoned guy who you might be able to hire in-season (vs. just going to your bench coach)? Too bad they never hired my guy, Bud Black, whose doing a real nice job early on in Colorado.  

6 hours ago, greg775 said:

To those who 'hate' Tony and want him gone, please answer this serious question: Do you think anybody could manage this team to a better record at this time considering all these injuries? I mean examine the current roster. With Vaughn and Sheets not tearing it up (yet) and all the injuries, it's a monumentally bad lineup, I mean White Sox historically bad. And pitchers? The closer blows chunks (at least in April) and two starters were hurt badly. also it's Mr. Hahn's fault the defense is so bad. Haters ... please comment. INJURIES!

The answer to both of these is do whatever it humanly takes to sign Bruce Bochy.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

This franchise got universal attention around baseball for the 6 error game and the literal worst ever hitting of Leury Garcia in the 3rd slot.  They have also gotten a ton of attention for pitching to Buxton with a base open.

Just about the dumbest non-move, I can remember.  Walking Buxton would have been the call for 99% of the fan base.  I was not a LaRussa hater, but his lineups and in-game decisions are wearing very thin.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, poppysox said:

Just about the dumbest non-move, I can remember.  Walking Buxton would have been the call for 99% of the fan base.  I was not a LaRussa hater, but his lineups and in-game decisions are wearing very thin.

It isn't even "hater" or "Stan" anymore.  It's the current reality vs living in the past 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Kyyle23 said:

It isn't even "hater" or "Stan" anymore.  It's the current reality vs living in the past 

Yes, as Bernstein put it, it's not that he's failing to make the 55%/45% calls that distinguish great managers from the rest.  It's that he's failing to make 100%/0% calls.  He's doing things that are indefensible, have no justification, and would not be done by *any other manager*. 

The only saving grace, sad as it is, is that there's a limit to the amount of damage a manager can do, so we still have pretty significant hope of compiling a good record.  Now come playoff time I'm not so sure.

3 minutes ago, 35thstreetswarm said:

The only saving grace, sad as it is, is that there's a limit to the amount of damage a manager can do, so we still have pretty significant hope of compiling a good record.  Now come playoff time I'm not so sure.

"Hold my beer"

-TLR