TLR 2022 Thread

chitownsportsfan

2 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

So you agree that your blaming of the analytics department doesn’t hold water. Roger.

No. I didn't say that. If that's what you read, I'll try to explain it again. 

None of these decisions are made in isolation.  In the analytics department Duncan doesn't have the only say.

TLR doesn't ignore all of the information given to him by the analytics department.

Essentially I am saying everything that you want to blame on a single person is wrong. No one makes the decisions by themselves.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, ptatc said:

No. I didn't say that. If that's what you read, I'll try to explain it again. 

None of these decisions are made in isolation.  In the analytics department Duncan doesn't have the only say.

TLR doesn't ignore all of the information given to him by the analytics department.

Essentially I am saying everything that you want to blame on a single person is wrong. No one makes the decisions by themselves.

They hire yes men who don’t give them anything they’d disagree with, and then those yes men take the blame just like you’re doing here.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

They hire yes men who don’t give them anything they’d disagree with, and then those yes men take the blame just like you’re doing here.

You really think the entire organization is just yes men for TLR? The entire analytics department, Katz, the entire coaching staff.

What kind of blame am I taking? What the the heck could I be blamed for?

No manager makes every decision with a 100% success rate. In game decisions are important but team culture and attitude are also important.

Last year the team stayed in the race with major injuries. If he wasn't so disliked by fans the results should have had him in manager of the year discussions. 

I could see him earning a Manager of the Year award. Is he the best in baseball or even the best in our division? I don't think so. But he's who we have. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, ptatc said:

You really think the entire organization is just yes men for TLR? The entire analytics department, Katz, the entire coaching staff.

What kind of blame am I taking? What the the heck could I be blamed for?

You are blaming the nepotism guy to excuse the guy who hired him. 

1 minute ago, Balta1701 said:

You are blaming the nepotism guy to excuse the guy who hired him. 

You just don't get it. I'm not blaming any one person. It is a decision made by information with multiple people.

5 minutes ago, Texsox said:

Who was the previous analytics coach? Why didn't he stay on?

We never got all the details on that one but it happened in 2019 like 8 days after Renteria was asked by a reporter how he used analytics in his decision making and responded “fuck you”.

36 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Because I’m not going to let this hang…it is amazing how people say it was only the pitchers without paying any attention to how terrible of positions he put them in.

Who said it was ONLY the pitchers? There were many factors, but pitching was number 1. Regardless of the position they were put it, they still sucked. If you want to believe that Lynn would have been better if saved for a home game, then that’s your opinion (I have no idea if that’s what you believe, but I’m just using that as an example). I think we lose that series regardless of who pitched in which games. 

3 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

And the same guy both has the final say and hired those people. 

So we're back to the same question.

Are you saying all of the analytics department and all of the coaching staff only does exactly what TLR wants?

Katz and the whole coaching really have no function other than to do TLRs wishes. Any improvements of the team are all TLR as well because they just do only what he says?

15 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

I didn’t support the hire and he has some issues - but you aren’t as successful as he has been for as long as he has without being really good at adapting and managing. 

I'm with Greg775 on this one.  No idea why they didn't pursue Francona after Boston....guess the timing was just wrong not having a competitive team and also Ventura as the placeholder/take hits for the organization to shield the front office guy at the time.

Was there ever any issue between the team and Francona when he was managing Birmingham in the mid 1990's?

https://www.baseball-reference.com/register/player.fcgi?id=franco001ter

Was the Barons manager for 3 years, took 1996 off and then started his career with the Phillies (lasted just four years),   Never had a winning season in Philly, took 3 years away from managing, then suddenly has a 98 win team in Boston in 2004 at age 45 (and that first WS title in ages).

Francona became third-base coach for the Detroit Tigers in 1996,[10] working under their new skipper, Buddy Bell, a former teammate of Francona on the Reds.

He spent the following season as a special assistant to the general manager with the Cleveland Indians in 2001, which was followed by two one-year terms as a bench coach for the Texas Rangers (2002) and Oakland Athletics (2003).[12]

Edited by caulfield12

29 minutes ago, ShoeLessRob said:

Bozo's_Circus_1968.jpg

Still miss Cookie and the Grand Prize Game...then there was Wizzo the Wizard.

Marshall Brodien (July 10, 1934 – March 8, 2019) was a professional magician who played Wizzo the Wizard, a wizard clown character which appeared on WGN-TV's Bozo's Circus and The Bozo Show from 1968-1994.

6 hours ago, fathom said:

How about shifting vs not shifting?

I’d guess that’s also overrated, but it would be nice to see some numbers. I’d be curious to see how many extra hits we give up because of it…and then how many of those hits lead to runs…and then how many of those runs change the outcome of the game. 

Over the course of a 162 game season, how many games do we think are affected by shifting vs not shifting?

Edited by SoxBlanco

1 hour ago, ron883 said:

TLR officially broke Balta

On the plus side, Seiya Suzuki is expected to have one of the five best seasons for a Japanese hitter in the big leagues...hitting the ground running.

How is Little Nicky's health?

You have been a bit "under the radar" these days, what happened?   Some are picking the Cubs for 3rd and a few even for second ahead of the Cards, although 3rd sounds the most realistic at this point.

9 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

https://theathletic.com/2321274/2021/01/14/chicago-white-sox-shelley-duncan-apitching-analytics/

They still have the guy from Notre Dame who has been around 15-20 years, don't they? 

So TLR created a position/title, then brought in a incompetent yes man through nepotism, all in an effort to shut down any disagreement and to just do it the HoF TLR way. 

Is that about right Balta?