TLR 2022 Thread

chitownsportsfan

46 minutes ago, Tnetennba said:

It would be Cairo or McEwing interim.  Not that there is any chance TLR is going anywhere. 

Cairo is a TLR yes man.  He would need to go too.  McEwing would be the guy.  Hopefully with Jershele taking over as bench coach.  

But its all fantasyland.  

21 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

To me it all goes back to Jose contemplating retirement in spring training. Just seems a portentous comment in hindsight. Maybe he could sense a bad year coming.

Seems like a huge red flag for the guy who has talked about being here forever, to all of the sudden to be talking about leaving.  Then the whole team has looked like they don't want to be here.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, JoeC said:

If it meant not having McEwing ill-advisedly waving guys home all the time, I'm all for it.

Id rather a guy get thrown out at home with 4 outs left in the game and a noodle arm in LF than be left at 3B and the same people would be saying "why didn't he send him!?!?! Beni has a noodle arm!!"

31 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Seems like a huge red flag for the guy who has talked about being here forever, to all of the sudden to be talking about leaving.  Then the whole team has looked like they don't want to be here.

As much as people torched Renteria, (some fair, some not) he brought this team along and should have been allowed at least one more year. The team played for this man, I'm afraid this team was caught off guard by the Tony hire and will never play with the fire needed to win a championship let alone beat the Twins and Cleveland for a division title.  This team unless they wake up soon or Tony is "let go", is toast.

• Like 1
  • Fire 1

4 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Id rather a guy get thrown out at home with 4 outs left in the game and a noodle arm in LF than be left at 3B and the same people would be saying "why didn't he send him!?!?! Beni has a noodle arm!!"

While his failings get a lot of attention, it feels like he is usually right on those risky sends.

3 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

He should have never been sent when any MLB player has the ball in his hands in shallow left field before the runner even reaches 3B.  Sorry Benni with a noodle arm is capable of making that throw.  Not only is he capable but he threw the runner out by 10 feet with our best hitter standing in the on-deck circle.  

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, A-Train to 35th said:

He should have never been sent when any MLB player has the ball in his hands in shallow left field before the runner even reaches 3B.  Sorry Benni with a noodle arm is capable of making that throw.  Not only is he capable but he threw the runner out by 10 feet with our best hitter standing in the on-deck circle.  

It was similar to a Pollock throw…way too much air under it but largely accurate.  He was closing in on the deep deep SS position in the OF and Harrison hadn’t even hit the bag yet.

40 minutes ago, A-Train to 35th said:

Yeah, I disagree.  I think there is a better than 30% chance Benintendi fucks up the throw, which is all it needs to be to be a better decision than letting Robert bat.  It didn't work out, but with 4 outs left in the game and the offensive sputtering all season, I think you gotta send him there.  I appreciate and understand the other side of the argument however.  

I definitely see both sides of the send him/don’t send him debate. McEwing remembers that awful Benintendi throw in Chicago. 2 outs, go for it. That’s why scoring 5-6 runs a game is so important. You can’t have these moments all the time. 

1 hour ago, ChiSox59 said:

Cairo is a TLR yes man.  He would need to go too.  McEwing would be the guy.  Hopefully with Jershele taking over as bench coach.  

But its all fantasyland.  

I have no opinion of Cairo.  I don't love he or McEwing.  Point being they wouldn't make an outside hire during the season, if at all.  But it's all moot as TLR is going nowhere.

1 hour ago, ChiSox59 said:

Yeah, I disagree.  I think there is a better than 30% chance Benintendi fucks up the throw, which is all it needs to be to be a better decision than letting Robert bat.  It didn't work out, but with 4 outs left in the game and the offensive sputtering all season, I think you gotta send him there.  I appreciate and understand the other side of the argument however.  

I'll take the 70% odds in my favor in a 1 run game and book it.  Of course if he would have scored I'd say great send JOE.

10 minutes ago, A-Train to 35th said:

I'll take the 70% odds in my favor in a 1 run game and book it.  Of course if he would have scored I'd say great send JOE.

How are 70% odds in your favor?  Robert has ~30% chance to get a hit, therefore scoring Harrison.  IMO, I think Benintendi screws up that throw more than 30% of the time.  Therefore, math would tell you sending the runner is the right play.  Of course, one of those %s is easier to point to (batting average) as opposed to Benintendi throwing out runners at home on somewhat routine plays, but we've already seen him both the that play once in a previous game this season on a very similar play.  

I guess I just support aggressive baserunning when your team is struggling to score runs.  The fact that is was the 8th inning and we only had 4 more bullets just exacerbates that.

I will leave it at that.  Like I said, I get it from both perspectives. Sucks it didn't work out.  I wouldn't have been fileting Super had he not sent him.   

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

How are 70% odds in your favor?  Robert has ~30% chance to get a hit, therefore scoring Harrison.  IMO, I think Benintendi screws up that throw more than 30% of the time.  Therefore, math would tell you sending the runner is the right play.  Of course, one of those %s is easier to point to (batting average) as opposed to Benintendi throwing out runners at home on somewhat routine plays, but we've already seen him both the that play once in a previous game this season on a very similar play.  

I guess I just support aggressive baserunning when your team is struggling to score runs.  The fact that is was the 8th inning and we only had 4 more bullets just exacerbates that.

I will leave it at that.  Like I said, I get it from both perspectives. Sucks it didn't work out.  I wouldn't have been fileting Super had he not sent him.   

OK, I'll admit I'm not good at Sox math and we'll agree to disagree. 

By the way, one of my favorite subtle  things about the 2012 team was how well they handled rundowns. Run toward the runner, then a single throw to get him. Fewest chances for a mistake, a clear sign that they practiced that basic skill. Solidly coached.

Last night there was a rundown with Taylor and Kasper gave up on trying to call out all the throws.

Regarding Tony and Tim, TLR say's there were 31 times Ozzie didn't start "look it up", well I did and Ozzie played in 150 games in his rookie year which means he may not have started all 31 games as Tony claims but he was used as a pinch hitter.   Giving a player a rest doesn't mean they can't pick up a bat in the 8th or 9th inning in a close game.  Nope, Tony would rather bat Leurey, Engel, and Harrison then have one of his rested stars pick-up a 32 oz bat.

Edited by A-Train to 35th
sp

8 minutes ago, A-Train to 35th said:

Regarding Tony and Tim, TLR say's there were 31 times Ozzie didn't start "look it up", well I did and Ozzie played in 150 games in his rookie year which means he may not have started all 31 games as Tony claims but he was used as a pinch hitter.   Giving a player a rest doesn't mean they can't pick up a bat in the 8th or 9th inning in a close game.  Nope, Tony would rather bat Leurey, Engel, and Harrison then have one of his rested stars pick-up a 32 oz bat.

The White Sox have 4 pinch hit at bats all season. Fewest in baseball. The average team has about 18. There is no obvious pattern of the teams not using PH being good or bad though.

1 minute ago, Balta1701 said:

The White Sox have 4 pinch hit at bats all season. Fewest in baseball. The average team has about 18. There is no obvious pattern of the teams not using PH being good or bad though.

Unbelievable, the only explanation is Tony must have forgotten that he can pinch hit for players or he's sleeping thru the the 8th and 9th innings.