TLR 2022 Thread

chitownsportsfan

14 minutes ago, Texsox said:

Players gotta play. I can't accept that Moncada gets in the batters box and who his manager is determines if he's hitting .125 or .275. I don't believe Tim was playing great because of Tony. 

That said, who sets the tone, and is responsible for the collective morale?

Would your golf teams finish exactly the same if they went to tournaments without you...because golf tends to be even more of a solitary, man vs. the course, type of endeavor.

58 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

That said, who sets the tone, and is responsible for the collective morale?

Would your golf teams finish exactly the same if they went to tournaments without you...because golf tends to be even more of a solitary, man vs. the course, type of endeavor.

I already know they would score the same. Their development is to be self coaching and not need someone telling them what to do all the time. My top players play the majority of tournaments away from me. They are playing on local, regional, and national tours all summer and at various times throughout the school year. They will play eight to ten events with me and 15 to 20 away from me and their teammates. I don't think amateur high school kids and professional athletes with years of experience are a fair comparison.  But if high school kids can self coach and play well without a coach always present why can't Moncada? Is he feeling a little blue and needing a "win one for the Gipper!" speech? How about this motivational speech go play your position like you use to for about 10 years or you'll be sitting your ass down and not getting another big payday.

I'm of the belief that coaches and managers get too much credit when the team is good and too much blame when the team is bad. But that being said, I don't think they are completely useless either. Even at the professional level.

I know from when I played sports myself and having watched my daughter being coached for many years in bowling, sometimes you don't notice what you are doing wrong when you are doing it. Sometimes a good coach can make a small suggestion of something to change or an adjustment to make and it can make a big difference. I've also seen coaches that don't do anything at all and their players never improve.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Texsox said:

I already know they would score the same. Their development is to be self coaching and not need someone telling them what to do all the time. My top players play the majority of tournaments away from me. They are playing on local, regional, and national tours all summer and at various times throughout the school year. They will play eight to ten events with me and 15 to 20 away from me and their teammates. I don't think amateur high school kids and professional athletes with years of experience are a fair comparison.  But if high school kids can self coach and play well without a coach always present why can't Moncada? Is he feeling a little blue and needing a "win one for the Gipper!" speech? How about this motivational speech go play your position like you use to for about 10 years or you'll be sitting your ass down and not getting another big payday.

So I must ask you - what is your purpose as a coach, if coaches (as you say) have no impact?

Don't get me wrong - players need to be able to motivate and fix themselves, but the overall strategy and approach are defined by the coaching staff. The data that get fed (on the whole) to the players come through the coaching staff. Yes, it's up to the players to execute and develop the tactics, but if they're not living up to their talent, it's up to the coaching staff to figure out why and to give them the resources (information or otherwise) to succeed.
If this failure is endemic to the team, then the coaching staff needs to change their approach.

2 hours ago, JoeC said:

So I must ask you - what is your purpose as a coach, if coaches (as you say) have no impact?

Don't get me wrong - players need to be able to motivate and fix themselves, but the overall strategy and approach are defined by the coaching staff. The data that get fed (on the whole) to the players come through the coaching staff. Yes, it's up to the players to execute and develop the tactics, but if they're not living up to their talent, it's up to the coaching staff to figure out why and to give them the resources (information or otherwise) to succeed.
If this failure is endemic to the team, then the coaching staff needs to change their approach.

What is Tony doing that caused Moncada to hit .125? More importantly what is he doing that is causing Moncada to not be able to fix it? 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Texsox said:

What is Tony doing that caused Moncada to hit .125? More importantly what is he doing that is causing Moncada to not be able to fix it? 

Not sure.

That said, Moncada is FAR from the only one, which tells me that there's something systematic going on that may be beyond the scope of just something Moncada can control.

The impact suggests the scope goes beyond individual players.

42 minutes ago, JoeC said:

Not sure.

That said, Moncada is FAR from the only one, which tells me that there's something systematic going on that may be beyond the scope of just something Moncada can control.

The impact suggests the scope goes beyond individual players.

What do you think they could be doing that isn't the player's fault and the player would be back to last year's production as soon as Tony stopped doing it? 

7 minutes ago, Texsox said:

What do you think they could be doing that isn't the player's fault and the player would be back to last year's production as soon as Tony stopped doing it? 

The half-cynical answer is "I don't know - that's why I'm not a baseball coach."

As for the types of answers? I don't think there's anything that would be fixed INSTNATLY as soon as the manager stopped doing it, but if I had to give a generalized answer, it could be things like preaching a poor approach at the plate, confusing the shit out of players by clearly demonstrating that playing time is basically random, etc.

Again, when over half the offense is failing (not just one player), it's the leadership's job to right the ship. In this case the leader is TLR.

OK baseball geniuses, only two hits other than Burger, one by Sheet and one by Yaz. ...so who did you want to lead-off?

Sox got beat by a great pitcher who is 7-0 with under 2.0 ERA and a team that hit 3 HR.  Better luck tomorrow.

• Haha 3

Sure, we can blame TLR for putting a guy who can't hit in the leadoff spot.  But how about we look at the clown that put that guy on the team to begin with?  This is Hahns roster.  I know there were injuries.  But for fucks sake, if TLR is going to bat Garcia leadoff from time to time, then pull a Billy Beane and get him off the goddamn team.  Hahn sucks at this job, so it will never happen.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, tray said:

OK baseball geniuses, only two hits other than Burger, one by Sheet and one by Yaz. ...so who did you want to lead-off?

Sox got beat by a great pitcher who is 7-0 with under 2.0 ERA and a team that hit 3 HR.  Better luck tomorrow.

delivery-man-carrying-water-5049971.jpg

Remember to lift with your legs and not your back.  

• Haha 1
  • Fire 3

10 hours ago, JoeC said:

The half-cynical answer is "I don't know - that's why I'm not a baseball coach."

As for the types of answers? I don't think there's anything that would be fixed INSTNATLY as soon as the manager stopped doing it, but if I had to give a generalized answer, it could be things like preaching a poor approach at the plate, confusing the shit out of players by clearly demonstrating that playing time is basically random, etc.

Again, when over half the offense is failing (not just one player), it's the leadership's job to right the ship. In this case the leader is TLR.

So Moncada will follow the poor approach at the plate instructions while batting .125? He's not a bright guy then. How much advance notice does he require before playing? "I thought I was playing tomorrow, but I'm playing today?! I can't hit under these conditions!"

Amazingly there are non starters that can adjust. Just last week we saw some great pinch hitting. Do you think those guys knew in advance they would be asked to pinch hit? 

No doubt Tony isn't performing up to MLB standards but the players should get their share of the blame. Most everyone blamed Dallas Keuchel for his failures. They point to  Garcia's general lack of talent for his inability. Harrison just can't hit anymore and was a poor signing. But other players get a pass and Tony blamed? 

15 hours ago, Texsox said:

Then why doesn't he do that consistently with guys who suck? Why do Sheets and Garcia get to play so often?

7 hours ago, tray said:

I don't want the worst player leading off and the benefit of handedness of the player is trumping actual production.

Pollock has a history of being a good hitter use him.  

Instead we get three guys that are currently worthless batting 1st, 3rd and 5th because they can stand in the LHH batters box.  That is the only rationale.  Sheets is hitting better than all three of them and he was batting 7th....and I don't think much of Sheets. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Texsox said:

So Moncada will follow the poor approach at the plate instructions while batting .125? He's not a bright guy then. How much advance notice does he require before playing? "I thought I was playing tomorrow, but I'm playing today?! I can't hit under these conditions!"

Amazingly there are non starters that can adjust. Just last week we saw some great pinch hitting. Do you think those guys knew in advance they would be asked to pinch hit? 

No doubt Tony isn't performing up to MLB standards but the players should get their share of the blame. Most everyone blamed Dallas Keuchel for his failures. They point to  Garcia's general lack of talent for his inability. Harrison just can't hit anymore and was a poor signing. But other players get a pass and Tony blamed? 

Please let me know where I say that Moncada's (and others') poor performances are excusable. They are professionals, as you point out. They should get their share of the blame.

However, to dismiss coaches' impact on players' performance is just as ignorant a position as to 100% blame the coaches for their performance, and my whole point is that when an entire roster is underperforming, you might want to start to look a little more closely at common contributing factors.

Either Hahn doesn’t have the balls to tell Tony and Jerry it’s a dumb idea to sign BOTH Harrison and Leury or he’s an idiot for thinking it could work. Either way Hahn deserves a lot of this season’s blame along with Tony for not being able to lift this team put from the gutter. There’s just WAY too many players struggling to say it’s solely on the players 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Rey21 said:

Either Hahn doesn’t have the balls to tell Tony and Jerry it’s a dumb idea to sign BOTH Harrison and Leury or he’s an idiot for thinking it could work. Either way Hahn deserves a lot of this season’s blame along with Tony for not being able to lift this team put from the gutter. There’s just WAY too many players struggling to say it’s solely on the players 

The Phillies and Angels can fire potential HoF managers that are years and even a couple decades younger than TLR?

Or firing the scout who signed Trout, to boot.

Hmmm…now why is that?

8 hours ago, tray said:

Obviously, your favorite player, Andrew Vaughn.

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Quin said:

Obviously, your favorite player, Andrew Vaughn.

Maybe you're our right , Vaughn should have been in the line-up and playing RF against a tough RH pitcher. Instead TLR put Sheets out there. Sheets  had a doublo following Burger's HR. That could have been the inning that the Sox got back in the game. Maybe Vaughn would have homered. Maybe this, maybe that but whatever does not work, it is easy to point fingers , especially at your favorite Manager.

Edited by tray

8 hours ago, tray said:

Anyone but the worst fucking hitter in MLB.

• Like 1