TLR 2022 Thread

chitownsportsfan

55 minutes ago, Rey21 said:

Either Hahn doesn’t have the balls to tell Tony and Jerry it’s a dumb idea to sign BOTH Harrison and Leury or he’s an idiot for thinking it could work. Either way Hahn deserves a lot of this season’s blame along with Tony for not being able to lift this team put from the gutter. There’s just WAY too many players struggling to say it’s solely on the players 

Rick Hahn is the GM of this baseball team. HE signed Harrison and Leury - NO ONE ELSE DID IT. Why do we as Sox fans continue to make excuses for Rick Hahn's absurd MLB scouting and decision making in free agency?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, JoeC said:

Please let me know where I say that Moncada's (and others') poor performances are excusable. They are professionals, as you point out. They should get their share of the blame.

However, to dismiss coaches' impact on players' performance is just as ignorant a position as to 100% blame the coaches for their performance, and my whole point is that when an entire roster is underperforming, you might want to start to look a little more closely at common contributing factors.

Please show me where I said Tony's poor performances are excusable? He should get his share of the blame. 

However, to dismiss players' impact on a manager's performance is just as ignorant a position as to put 100% blame on the coaches for their performance . . . 

Leury Garcia leading off an MLB game you are trying to win is a joke. One of Tony's faults is he has this chip on his shoulder where he has to show people how much smarter he is than they are. That's why you get guys playing crazy positions, batting in spots in the order no sensible person would place them, and falling in love with the worst players on his teams. Many of his teams were so stacked, they were able to overcome this personality trait. This one doesn't appear to be one of them.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Rick Hahn is the GM of this baseball team. HE signed Harrison and Leury - NO ONE ELSE DID IT. Why do we as Sox fans continue to make excuses for Rick Hahn's absurd MLB scouting and decision making in free agency?

Because we truly don't know what decision he had to make regarding Harrison.  We don't know what other deals they pursued and which agents or teams turned them down. As horrific as it sounds, this possibly was the best deal available. (I doubt this was the best but there are a very limited number of people that truly know with 100% certainty.)

But, in the end this is a severely flawed team that the front office handed to a well past his prime manager with disastrous results. Yet knowledgeable fans bought into the hype at the start of the season. Knowing all the issues a majority of posters here predicted a first place finish and decent playoff run. To admit Hahn sucked this up is to admit you were fooled.

1 minute ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

It seems like every Sox loss is followed by hyperbolic criticisms of TLR, Hahn, JR and suggestions that the franchise be sold or moved out of Chicago. Some even threaten to become Cub fans. Oh my.

I find it all quite amusing.  No, you are not smarter than Hahn, TLR, JR or anyone else, but anyway, carry on..

4 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Leury Garcia leading off an MLB game you are trying to win is a joke. One of Tony's faults is he has this chip on his shoulder where he has to show people how much smarter he is than they are. That's why you get guys playing crazy positions, batting in spots in the order no sensible person would place them, and falling in love with the worst players on his teams. Many of his teams were so stacked, they were able to overcome this personality trait. This one doesn't appear to be one of them.

Spot on. 

12 minutes ago, Texsox said:

Please show me where I said Tony's poor performances are excusable? He should get his share of the blame. 

However, to dismiss players' impact on a manager's performance is just as ignorant a position as to put 100% blame on the coaches for their performance . . . 

So, basically we agree…?

where we diverge is where our primary anger gets directed.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

You missed wsd's tweets. Hahn had a gun to his head when these signings were made. 

4 minutes ago, tray said:

It seems like every Sox loss is followed by hyperbolic criticisms of TLR, Hahn, JR and suggestions that the franchise be sold or moved out of Chicago. Some even threaten to become Cub fans. Oh my.

I find it all quite amusing.  No, you are not smarter than Hahn, TLR, JR or anyone else, but anyway, carry on..

Welcome to Soxtalk. While not totally disagreeing, when Tony does things that no other manager would do, and it fails, that isn't because he's dumber than anyone here. More likely it's hubris and desperation. 

9 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Last year, LaRussa was getting lucky on a lot of those questionable decisions. Like hitting a .180 Jake Lamb 3rd and then he hits a homer.

1 minute ago, JoeC said:

So, basically we agree…?

where we diverge is where our primary anger gets directed.

The only disagreement probably is I place less than 50% of the blame on the manager. 

7 minutes ago, tray said:

LOL

You carry that water!

Edited by Bob Sacamano
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Just now, tray said:

Leury is a utility player that is in the line-up because of anjury to TA and under-performance of Josh Harrison, , not because of some imagined personality trait .

When Garcia was re-signed, Tony called him an everyday player who happens to be in different positions each day. Tony intended you play him a lot all along. Which I'm not totally against. While I prefer the "Sunday lineup" approach to resting players, rotating daily who sits works for some rosters. 

4 minutes ago, tray said:

Leury is a utility player that is in the line-up because of anjury to TA and under-performance of Josh Harrison, , not because of some imagined personality trait .

He is leading off with an OBP under .200. But Tony has a guy like you whipped. If Leury gets a couple of hits, Tony is a genius. If he's 0 fer, hes only there because TA is injured. 

Edited by Dick Allen
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, tray said:

He would be in the lineup regularly at different positions giving guys rest. And your reasoning does not support why he should be leading off. 

3 minutes ago, Texsox said:

The only disagreement probably is I place less than 50% of the blame on the manager. 

I wouldn't even say that we disagree on that, at least on an individual performance level. Players at this level SHOULD be accountable for their own performance.

Where we disagree I think is that once you start to stack up all of these shortcomings, the aggregate blame falls on the coaching staff.

With TA out, we have Mendick, Harrison and Leury covering infield positions. Yes, it is obvious that has become problematic but don't assume that Hahn does not recognize that and will not deal with it. I expect that Hahn will make a move to address this before TA returns.

12 minutes ago, Texsox said:

Because we truly don't know what decision he had to make. We don't know what other deals they pursued and which agents or teams turned them down. As horrific as it sounds, this possibly was the best deal available. (I doubt this was the best but there are a very limited number of people that truly know with 100% certainty.)

But, in the end this is a severely flawed team that the front office handed to a well past his prime manager with disastrous results. Yet knowledgeable fans bought into the hype at the start of the season. Knowing all the issues a majority of posters here predicted a first place finish and decent playoff run. To admit Hahn sucked this up is to admit you were fooled.

The best deal available? Leury Garcia was one of the FIRST players to sign of the entire off-season. What are you talking about?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

The best deal available? Leury Garcia was one of the FIRST players to sign of the entire off-season. What are you talking about?

Honestly, instead of guaranteeing $22 mill between Garcia and Harrison, they might as well have just signed Escobar for 2 years $18.5 mill.

Edited by Bob Sacamano

15 minutes ago, tray said:

I may not be able to manage the personalities in a MLB clubhouse as well as TLR, but I absolutely would make better strategic decisions within the game. It's not even a question. So strategically, I'm absolutely without a doubt smarter than Tony La Russa.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

8 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

I may not be able to manage the personalities in a MLB clubhouse as well as TLR, but I absolutely would make better strategic decisions within the game. It's not even a question. So strategically, I'm absolutely without a doubt smarter than Tony La Russa.

And to the people who say "Tony has forgotten more about the game than you people will ever know!"...it's not exactly the compliment you think it is.

Edited by Bob Sacamano

Anyone who thinks being a baseball manager is somehow a chess match and not checkers is simply lost. People like Harold and Tray are old geezers who shun data and analytics, and are stuck in there ways. Data could literally make most decisions for you without injecting ones pointless gut.

Playing the numbers and the odds is better than anyone who plays their gut. I couldn't care less if the old geezers like Tray and Harold don't agree with that; their thought process is archaic and being grinded out of the game for a reason. People like TLR have seen the game pass them by. 

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run
  • Like 1

I think that the money allocation problem is coming from ownership because ownership would rather light $25M on fire than spend it on the rest of Bryce Harper's career. 

Hahn can only do what Jerry allows him to. 

That being said his trades are awful and he deserves to be fired. 

Edited by Jack Parkman