TLR 2022 Thread

chitownsportsfan

3 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

Yes. Resign. Anything else in that situation is totally being a yes man. The GM should be able to pick and fire a coach. This isn’t complicated. If he doesn’t have that authority any more, either he should resign or he’s a yes man totally accepting this and agreeing that it’s ok. 

I'll be honest; on the internet, I'm very brave and would walk out that door the minute I was undermined by Jerry to this level (if this fictitious scenario is even real), but in the real world I'd bet all I own that there's zero chance I'd give up an MLB GM job. Not exactly a lot of those going around.

• Thanks 3

4 hours ago, chetkincaid said:

Didn’t Ozzie once say that everybody hates AJ but his teammates just hate him a little less? There would probably be a revolt in the locker room. 

Ozzie says a lot of things.  At least AJ wouldn't quit on his team in the middle of a pennant race to pursue a managing job with a different team.  

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, South Side Fireworks Man said:

Ozzie says a lot of things.  At least AJ wouldn't quit on his team in the middle of a pennant race to pursue a managing job with a different team.  

AJ has zero experience in any capacity.  This would be a crushingly stupid decision that reeks of all of the previous hastily, loyally, and stupidly made coaching decisions

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Kyyle23 said:

AJ has zero experience in any capacity.  This would be a crushingly stupid decision that reeks of all of the previous hastily, loyally, and stupidly made coaching decisions

All I said was he wouldn't quit on his team in the middle of a pennant race to pursue a job with another team like Ozzie did.

40 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

The Sox weren't prepared under Tony when the games mattered in 1983. Tony blew the WS as heavy favorites in 1988 and 1990.

A large number of Sox fans wanted La Russa gone his first turn. Jerry found him a landing spot in Oakland.  Two top FOs (Oakland and Saint Louis) plus Balco are the primary drivers of his win count.

Hey, that sounds familiar! 

The Sox definitely weren't ready for postseason play last year. 

14 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

I'll be honest; on the internet, I'm very brave and would walk out that door the minute I was undermined by Jerry to this level (if this fictitious scenario is even real), but in the real world I'd bet all I own that there's zero chance I'd give up an MLB GM job. Not exactly a lot of those going around.

I think it is safe to say that there are even less MLB GM jobs out there where the owners allow the GM to do whatever they want without interference from above. Most GMs (maybe all) aren't even the top position on that side of the organization. Even the first time he was hired Veeck was heavily involved, not just Hemond. And I would bet if Veeck didnt want TLR, Hemond couldn't have hired him.  That GM job just doesn't exist.

16 minutes ago, South Side Fireworks Man said:

All I said was he wouldn't quit on his team in the middle of a pennant race to pursue a job with another team like Ozzie did.

Him bouncing on the team was shitty but they were in no way shape or form in a pennant race when he left 

27 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

So you're pretty much guaranteeing it will happen then?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Balta1701 said:

At this level, yes it is. There is a solid chance that what he does right now will taint the rest of his career, and a solid chance that he winds up being the fall guy who is caught without a chair when the music stops this year. He should have resigned in October of 2020, somewhere here will be his last chance to say he’s not ok with how this is going.

Its one of 30 jobs and an owner who is pretty popular with other owners as he has done his part to keep costs down for 40 years. He could easily blackball RH. That said, there are ways to signal you ae nothing more than a puppet.

30 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

Even AJ is all about doing everything to get an edge. No weird sets of ethics and ethos which prevents him from doing things to improve his teams odds.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, CentralChamps21 said:

I hadn't listened to the home call of that nonsense until now....that is maybe the most critical I've ever heard Benetti be...."can you explain that to me?  Typically with 2 strikes the league average is quite low."

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ThatBallHitDeep_WAYBack said:

Where is the fuss about Bennett Sousa NOT covering first base on the chopper to Vaughn?  Or Burger missing the double play?  The Turner incident should have NOT happened if the White Sox had a scent of fundamentals!!!

Send Sousa to the Joliet Jackhammers.  That guy stinks.

Doesn't erase the dumbass call by the manager.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 3

2 minutes ago, ThatBallHitDeep_WAYBack said:

Where is the fuss about Bennett Sousa NOT covering first base on the chopper to Vaughn?  Or Burger missing the double play?  The Turner incident should have NOT happened if the White Sox had a scent of fundamentals!!!

Send Sousa to the Joliet Jackhammers.  That guy stinks.

Burger has rightfully received plenty of flack around here for his defense yesterday. He did cost the Sox the game and you’re absolutely Correct that spot never happens if he completes the DP, or hurts a lot less if his error the previous inning didn’t lead to 5 unearned runs. He’s simply not someone you can play at 3B regularly. 

There's a difference between physical errors and stupid decisions. Players are going to make physical errors, and when you don't have 8 guys who excel both offensively and defensively, you have to sacrifice a little bit of one, the other, or both.

Burger made a physical error, albeit at the worst possible time. Cease failed at overcoming that error. Sousa appeared to be hustling to first and just got his footwork messed up.

Making sound decisions using all the available data is what the manager needs to do in order to overcome the kinds of challenges that Burger at 3B and Sousa in the bullpen unavoidably present.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 1

3 minutes ago, CentralChamps21 said:

There's a difference between physical errors and stupid decisions. Players are going to make physical errors, and when you don't have 8 guys who excel both offensively and defensively, you have to sacrifice a little bit of one, the other, or both.

Burger made a physical error, albeit at the worst possible time. Cease failed at overcoming that error. Sousa appeared to be hustling to first and just got his footwork messed up.

Making sound decisions using all the available data is what the manager needs to do in order to overcome the kinds of challenges that Burger at 3B and Sousa in the bullpen unavoidably present.

An error of the body vs. an error of the mind.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, CentralChamps21 said:

Also shit players tend to make more of both types of error. And thanks to a poor offseason, oft injured players and a manager intent on playing 26 guys every other game, well, it adds up to a lot of mistakes on the field.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, CentralChamps21 said:

Too bad Dave Duncan's child doesn't have access to those statistics.

In terms of Hahn posts, there is a difference between the expectations that a GM who reports to an owner and or a P/SVP is answerable to others (i.e. not able to "do whatever they want") and one who must continue indefinitely in a dysfunctional shithole organization.

1 hour ago, South Side Fireworks Man said:

Are we allowed to comment on posts like this? I think I'll pass or once again I'll be responsible for shutting down a thread eventually. I'll just say if Tony gets replaced and they go with a Sox guy, to pick AJP over Ozzie would be really really baseball dumb.

• Haha 1

46 minutes ago, wegner said:

I hadn't listened to the home call of that nonsense until now....that is maybe the most critical I've ever heard Benetti be...."can you explain that to me?  Typically with 2 strikes the league average is quite low."

I'll give Jason B credit. He freaked out in peppering Stoney with questions about Tony's dumb move. I wonder how the radio guys handled the call. But in this day and age of announcers backing the home team in all situations, Jason B deserves credit for freaking out about Tony's move. Stone to his credit answered Jason's questions without going off. I say "to Stone's credit," only because Stone would have made national news had he torn into Tony. Jason asked why Tony would do that and Stone had an answer of why Tony did it. Pros all around. Jason B an A-plus for having the guts to immediately question the ridiculous move; Stone an A-plus for not being a homer but also not making himself the story. Wow.

Edited by greg775
  • Like 1