TLR 2022 Thread

chitownsportsfan

5 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

Yes. Resign. Anything else in that situation is totally being a yes man. The GM should be able to pick and fire a coach. This isn’t complicated. If he doesn’t have that authority any more, either he should resign or he’s a yes man totally accepting this and agreeing that it’s ok. 

I dunno, Bosses make awful decisions all the time. The GM, who has no choice, can either accept the ridiculous decision of the boss and continue to make huge dollars himself for his family, or he can quit. Quitting would make the GM feel good internally for a day, but would not help him get another job anytime soon and would harm his family unless he's saved a lot of money for situations like this.  ... You weigh the pros and cons and if the boss' decision angers you so much you need to get out, you look for another job but quitting IMO is not the right call.

Edited by greg775

54 minutes ago, ThatBallHitDeep_WAYBack said:

Where is the fuss about Bennett Sousa NOT covering first base on the chopper to Vaughn?  Or Burger missing the double play?  The Turner incident should have NOT happened if the White Sox had a scent of fundamentals!!!

Send Sousa to the Joliet Jackhammers.  That guy stinks.

Sousa is not good. So point taken...

But I remember Steve and Jason saying that Sousa falls off the mound to the third base side. So making it back to first is hard for him.

1 minute ago, soxfan49 said:

Well at least his left hander Sheets has been optioned. One less toy for this asshole

Man, they should have sold high.

Granted, I'm guessing other orgs probably weren't buying Sheets' 2021 production as sustainable.

3 minutes ago, soxfan49 said:

Well at least his left hander Sheets has been optioned. One less toy for this asshole

Poor Sheets. From fairly hot prospect to being about done. Baseball, whether old style which some of us loved, or this new crap, remains the same. Ultimately it is a cruel game.

17 minutes ago, greg775 said:

Poor Sheets. From fairly hot prospect to being about done. Baseball, whether old style which some of us loved, or this new crap, remains the same. Ultimately it is a cruel game.

Sheets could also rebound a la Ian Happ, even if one player is much better than the other.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Quin said:

Granted, I'm guessing other orgs probably weren't buying Sheets' 2021 production as sustainable.

I'd have traded him for an average bullpen arm.  I'm sure you could have gotten that.  BUT some people were hoping he'd be a headliner in a bigger deal (Bassit) which I never found likely.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Quin said:

I think some overstated his value. Sheets is a 1B with a mediocre minor league track record. Sure he performed well in a small sample size in the MLB, but I doubt that was enough for other GM's to buy high on. 

Edited by ron883

No knowledgeable Sox fans believed Sheets was more than a platoon hitter, at best...with limited defensive options.

The White Sox just don't have that type of success with non first round draft picks...until they move on to other organizations like a Semien or Luis Gonzalez, although Gonzo will eventually come back down to earth.

Plus, the idea of trading him left pretty much no LH hitting candidates, since Hahn whiffed on addressing that need the entire offseason.

Or he put all his eggs in the Conforto and not Joc Pederson basket. Unlikely they were ever really in on him, though.

9 minutes ago, TheBooneLoganEra said:

Not to get off the Sheets demotion but mlb network has been torching the White Sox all day for that walk yesterday......so there's that.

I mean how many times do the Sox do things that have never even been done once in MLB history?

Sox LHBers against RHP.

Hitting with bases loaded has to be close to bottom for 1/3rd of a season.

First or only intentional walk in decades with two strikes on a hitter.

Leading the Majors in CNN non baseball related stories since hiring.

Most embarrassed fans since Bevington.

Most questionable leadoff hitters with Ops numbers under 600 and even 500.

Most obvious lack of awareness about rules changes such as extra inning ghost runners...see Hendriks debacle.

Least PHers used in history.

Most bullpen changes.  Most money ever spent on said bullpen west of NYC.

Top Five or Three for oldest managers.  Have to look that one up. 

Third.  Mack 87, McKeon 80. LaRussa 78. Stengel 74.

Etc.

Edited by caulfield12
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, GermanSoxFan said:

I haven’t been on realgm in over a decade, was Keith Bogans part of that duo?

C'mon man! The Drain Duo was Doug McDermott and Nikola Mirotic. The power hungry mods over there disallowed the use of the Drain Duo nickname though, even though somebody asked McDermott if he liked the nickname during an autograph signing event, and he said he did. 

Edited by ron883

From an article behind the paywall at The Athletic

Turner is a career .222/.276/.343 hitter after the count reaches 1-2. Against left-handers in that situation, Turner is a .258/.310/.390. Since 2020, Turner is .373/.424/.644 against left-handed pitchers after reaching a 1-2 count. With Sousa’s season ERA up to 8.20, La Russa was looking for an escape route to a better matchup as soon as a wild pitch opened up first base.

Hmm, this seems different than the hot takes we saw. Sorry Tony, I still would have given Cease a chance to pitch around him. If this was a rare misstep I'd even shrug it off, but you are hitting as bad as anyone in these situations.  

6 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

91 years old?  I can't imagine another full year like this, let alone more than a decade.

He is already demented and acting like a senile over the hill manager at 77, soon to be 78. Based his druken' history and cognitive skills, I seriously doubt he lives to anywhere close to 91.

• Like 1