Moncada IL, Burger up; Burr IL, Foster up

CentralChamps21

15 minutes ago, HOFHurt35 said:

Potential .800 OPS bat has no value for crappy teams like the A's, Orioles, Pirates, and Reds? 

I've seen shittier prospects exchanged this offseason. 

Probably not one out of options and everyone knows he will be on available for no compensation.

The injury to Moncada is very unfortunate.  For the Sox to really excel, they need 2019 Moncada back.  

But it's not the worst thing to have Burger in the wings, having already had a bit of ML seasoning.  He got 15 games last year.  Maybe he can build on that.  

I like seeing him playing 2B as well.  

This why you don't trade away all your useable depth.   

I would rather Burger get the look and see if they have a future here (or he is great trade bait for a SP at deadline), then have a hurty Moncada become enemy #1 on this board with a bad April. This really hurts the team overall, but they need Yo for the stretch run more than April anyways. 

Just now, VAfan said:

The injury to Moncada is very unfortunate.  For the Sox to really excel, they need 2019 Moncada back.  

But it's not the worst thing to have Burger in the wings, having already had a bit of ML seasoning.  He got 15 games last year.  Maybe he can build on that.  

Having 2019 Moncada back would be great, but if you get post-injury 2021 Robert and 2020 Eloy back full-time, I don't think it's necessary. All I need Yoan to do is at least hit like he did last year. If he's not gonna hit for power, at least get on base so the other guys in the lineup get a chance to drive him in. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

You hate sample sizes. 

I acknowledge them.   But I'm just using the numbers we have.   Sure, Burger might not sustain that.  But it's possible he could improve as well.   I kind of see him as similar to Andrew Vaughn.  Both 1st round picks selected for their offensive potential.  Whether they realize it is an open question.   

29 minutes ago, Tony said:

Sorry, but having Tanner Banks, Kyle Crick, Matt Foster, Dallas Keuchel, Jose Ruiz Bennett Sousa and Vince Velasquez all on the OD roster for a "World Series Contending" team gives me some pause. 

It's at least better than the all in team with Navarro catching, 56 year old Jimmy Rollins at SS, Brett Lawrie at 2B, and Austin Jackson patrolling CF. 

You are right though, this team is going to have to score a ton of runs.

31 minutes ago, Tony said:

Sorry, but having Tanner Banks, Kyle Crick, Matt Foster, Dallas Keuchel, Jose Ruiz Bennett Sousa and Vince Velasquez all on the OD roster for a "World Series Contending" team gives me some pause. 

I actually think Crick could be a big surprise this year, and I'll never give up on Foster mania.

Also will never ever understand the hate for Ruiz. Some of the weirdest and most misplaced anger on all of Soxtalk.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, VAfan said:

I hate the idea of seeing Burger at 2nd. A 2b-man needs good and consistent lateral mobility, something that is at the least questionable in Burger's case. And then there is the pivot on the 6-4-3. I'm a Burger fan, but the idea of him at 2b gets an eyeroll from me.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, HOFHurt35 said:

This is not season ending, obviously.

But Yoan's ability to stay healthy and productive is quite depressing to me.

Especially with $41 million owed to him for 2023 and 2024. 

Yoan plays more games than anyone not named Abreu on this team damn near every year. 149, 132, 52 of 60, 144.

This narrative that Yoan is always hurt, when guys like Anderson, Robert and Eloy are hurt way more often is another odd one.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

I actually think Crick could be a big surprise this year, and I'll never give up on Foster mania.

Also will never ever understand the hate for Ruiz. Some of the weirdest and most misplaced anger on all of Soxtalk.

One of the oddest I have ever seen was for Colome....it wasn't often pretty but all that guy did was save games when he was here.  Gamethreads were fun when he came in but I always had confidence when he was our closer....and yes I do agree with letting him move on when they did and just in time.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

It's at least better than the all in team with Navarro catching, 56 year old Jimmy Rollins at SS, Brett Lawrie at 2B, and Austin Jackson patrolling CF. 

You are right though, this team is going to have to score a ton of runs.

I still think the team is going to be very good, and I understand they are dealing with injuries. 

I saw the graphic the Sox put up with the OD lineup, and the pitchers gave me a little bit of a pause, that's all. 

Luckily, it seems like they have an offense that should put up a bunch of runs. We'll see. 

I think it's cause Ruiz seems to never pitch well when it actually matters. He did look decent once or twice in a high leverage situation, but he usually got smacked when he had to hold a small lead late. The numbers back this up too.

Low leverage: 53.1 IP, 3.25 FIP

Med leverage: 9.2 IP, 7 FIP

High leverage: 2 IP, 9.2 FIP

• Fire 1

Just now, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

You've been less pessimistic and more realistic of late, but your disdain for Moncada will never stop being weird.

He’s about to be paid like a superstar and he doesn’t seem to be aging well.  I was his biggest fan on this site until 2020.  I know he plays a ton of games, but it’s not helping anyone if he’s dinged up and trying to play through “pain”.

1 minute ago, chw42 said:

I think it's cause Ruiz seems to never pitch well when it actually matters. He did look decent once or twice in a high leverage situation, but he usually got smacked when he had to hold a small lead late. The numbers back this up too.

Low leverage: 53.1 IP, 3.25 FIP

Med leverage: 9.2 IP, 7 FIP

High leverage: 2 IP, 9.2 FIP

Sure, but his role on this team isn't high leverage. He's damn good at what his job is, and every team would be happy to have a guy like him in that role.

You've been less pessimistic and more realistic of late, but your disdain for Moncada will never stop being weird.

He will be making 42 million in 2023 and 2024 combined, with a 2025 club option for 25 million. 

It's not a crazy take from fathom.