Nine reg season games not on NCBSC

CentralChamps21

2 minutes ago, Buehrle>Wood said:

1030 am game on peacock. Ridiculous. Mlb continues to shoot itself in the foot.

I hadn't heard about this until this tweet. Perhaps all of the teams with NBC RSNs have to put a couple games on Peacock?

https://sports.yahoo.com/mlb-streaming-peacock-exclusive-games-why-212809054.html

It is unclear if a paid Peacock subscription is required to watch the games (Peacock has a very limited free tier of accounts), though some cable subscribers (Xfinity, Cox and Spectrum) can get a free premium account.

Edited by CentralChamps21

1 hour ago, DoUEvenShift said:

jason mentioned that for the Apple TV Games you don't have to pay for the subscription, only have to download the app.

Not sure for the Peacock ones

That's why I brought the thread back about the Apple games. I'll be tuning in tomorrow to see if I can get the game. The earlier conception was that you would have to pay $4.99 month for Apple+ subscription so if I can watch free on just the normal Apple app , it's great.

Streaming is great if all games are on the same platform.  These exclusive deals across multiple platforms is the wrong approach to expand the game.  It’s obviously about the money, but it hurts fans.  Sadly MLB doesn’t care about the latter. 

sounds like im in the minority - but i appreciate mlb trying to expand their product offering. Now, do i think someone with appletv who signs in to watch some drama or comedy is going to see a random mlb game and become a fan? nope. they have to bring more to the table than that ... an alternate broadcast ala the manning bros on MNF or something would be a start. MLB is a long game with lots of downtime. someone needs to capitalize on that ...

The sunday morning thing makes sense IMO. it's like the premier league with soccer. its a quiet, background sport. there are many times Ill jjust have soccer on in the background just because it's good ambience. im barely watching. if mlb can convert on that feeling/ambience for baseball? good on them. 

12 hours ago, 35thstreetswarm said:

They're just going to continue to ratchet up the difficulty level for normal people to enjoy baseball, aren't they?  How long until access to all 162 games is only available with the "platinum VIP experience"

This is bitching just to b****.  That's only two more games people have to pay for. The Apple TV games are free, as are the Fox ones, and no ones ever bitched about an ESPN exclusive

1 hour ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Watching Astros and Angels on Apple TV now for free . Just click on the Apple TV+ part at the top on Apple TV . It's easy to find.

I hope Nelson does our game next week since he's a Sox fan and all

4 hours ago, Heads22 said:

This is bitching just to b****.  That's only two more games people have to pay for. The Apple TV games are free, as are the Fox ones, and no ones ever bitched about an ESPN exclusive

As it is people have to shell out money for a cable subscription just to get games that were broadcast over-the-air free for decades (to say nothing about the ever more expensive and stratified stadium experience).  Now people have to navigate two additional streaming services if they want to watch all the games?  That’s likely not a significant barrier for people posting on a message board, but if you think it’s not a huge one for many—especially older fans, the kind who have been with the team for many years—you have a very narrow range of experience.  While it’s only a few games now, I suspect it will be more in coming seasons.  Whatever the number of games they wall off, the key is there’s zero fan-centered reason for this, it’s just an attempted money grab and assist to the streaming services.  Maybe that’s your kind of thing, but it’s definitely not mine.

• Thanks 1

I will say that I thoroughly enjoyed the Mets Nats broadcast last night on Apple TV.  The whole broadcast, from commentators to visuals & graphics, to production value, was hands down better than anything I have seen on an ESPN national broadcast in ages.  

6 hours ago, 35thstreetswarm said:

As it is people have to shell out money for a cable subscription just to get games that were broadcast over-the-air free for decades (to say nothing about the ever more expensive and stratified stadium experience).  Now people have to navigate two additional streaming services if they want to watch all the games?  That’s likely not a significant barrier for people posting on a message board, but if you think it’s not a huge one for many—especially older fans, the kind who have been with the team for many years—you have a very narrow range of experience.  While it’s only a few games now, I suspect it will be more in coming seasons.  Whatever the number of games they wall off, the key is there’s zero fan-centered reason for this, it’s just an attempted money grab and assist to the streaming services.  Maybe that’s your kind of thing, but it’s definitely not mine.

They were free over the air for decades--if you lived within antenna range of Chicago. A cable RSN can distribute games to a much wider audience.

1 hour ago, Tnetennba said:

I will say that I thoroughly enjoyed the Mets Nats broadcast last night on Apple TV.  The whole broadcast, from commentators to visuals & graphics, to production value, was hands down better than anything I have seen on an ESPN national broadcast in ages.  

I was only half paying attention but the Angels Astros broadcast was very loose and jokey. People who don’t like Benetti are going to haaaaate watching that broadcast team for a Sox game. 

1 hour ago, Marqhead said:

I was only half paying attention but the Angels Astros broadcast was very loose and jokey. People who don’t like Benetti are going to haaaaate watching that broadcast team for a Sox game. 

I switched over to that game after the Mets & Nats went into rain delay, and I totally agree.  Same quality of production, but the announcers were a bit too loose & jokey as you said.  I saw someone say on twitter last night that while they enjoyed the millennial hang vibe they wanted a bit more description of on the field happenings and I thought it was spot on.  Lets hope they tone it down a bit and focus more on the game at hand in the future.