Put Burger at 2B (or Yoan at 2B and Burger at 3B)

ron883

Its an interesting scenario. Burger is looking like who we thought we drafted. Harrison is playing like garbage so far. 

If Burger can play second and look average, I think this is the smartest move. But do you disrespect a veteran that you brought on board with benching him so early in the season? Doesn't seem like a Tony move. 

If Burger continues to rake while Moncada is out and Harrison stays cold, I hope TLR goes for it. 

Moncada defensively is too valuable at 3rd to move him to 2nd. 

Edited by kman

Just now, kman said:

Its an interesting scenario. Burger is looking like who we thought we drafted. Harrison is playing like garbage so far. 

If Burger can play second and look average, I think this is the smartest move. But do you disrespect a veteran that you brought on board with benching him so early in the season? 

If Burger continues to rake while Montana is out and Harrison stays cold, I hope TLR goes for it. 

Montana defensively is too valuable at 3rd to move him to 2nd. 

Joe?

Jake hit a 430 ft. bomb in cold weather. He is carrying himself like a pro and taking his job seriously.  Let's see his game play out a bit more 

before making further judgments about him.  For example, I could definitely see getting rid of Leury or Harrison and keeping Burger on the roster  if he keeps this up.

Jake's D has been surprising to me. I thought he was not going to be as mobile as he has been after his Achilles injuries.

HRs win games and  Jake's blast  against a pretty good pitcher probably won that game for the Sox.

1 hour ago, tray said:

Jake hit a 430 ft. bomb in cold weather. He is carrying himself like a pro and taking his job seriously.  Let's see his game play out a bit more 

before making further judgments about him.  For example, I could definitely see getting rid of Leury or Harrison and keeping Burger on the roster  if he keeps this up.

Jake's D has been surprising to me. I thought he was not going to be as mobile as he has been after his Achilles injuries.

HRs win games and  Jake's blast  against a pretty good pitcher probably won that game for the Sox.

They're not going to eat millions of dollars in veteran contracts this early in the season...especially with Leury having three years guaranteed.  He basically is on the books for nearly the same amount as Rodon's QO.

7 hours ago, kman said:

If Burger can play second and look average, I think this is the smartest move. But do you disrespect a veteran that you brought on board with benching him so early in the season? Doesn't seem like a Tony move. 

If Burger continues to rake while Moncada is out and Harrison stays cold, I hope TLR goes for it. 

Moncada defensively is too valuable at 3rd to move him to 2nd. 

Nice to have depth for a change. Harrison hasn’t hit but he’s played excellent defense. Either way, good problem to have and both look like better options at 2b than Madrigal this year.

29 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

Nice to have depth for a change. Harrison hasn’t hit but he’s played excellent defense. Either way, good problem to have and both look like better options at 2b than Madrigal this year.

Way too early to make any assessments based on ten days of play….

12 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Way too early to make any assessments based on ten days of play….

I’m basing it on Nick’s play last season. The glove was very shaky. Harrison won’t hit like Madrigal but he’s a big upgrade defensively. Can see that already. And Burger might be able to hit as well or better than Nick when you consider the whole package while playing comparable defense at 2b (both below average).

1 hour ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

Burger deserves a roster spot.  Just too early to move anyone.  If only Burger could play 2B.

In fairness ,he really has played 95% of his college/minor league career at 3B. Learning a new position for a young player at the major league level can affect their whole game. Seeing Yoan in front of him and available playing time at 2B, it is too bad the FO didn't  give him more opportunities to learn 2B last season. If moving Yoan is not an option for some reason, Burger could go back to Charlotte for a month or two  to work at 2B once Yoan returns. Then return him after All Star break.  Still as someone posted, a good problem that needs to be resolved. 

7 minutes ago, WBWSF said:

From what I can see the White Sox have 4 choices. 1) Put Moncada  on third and put Burger at second. 2) Put Moncada at second and put Burger at third. 3) Trade Moncada. 4) Trade Burger.

Burger has options.  They will be used long before one of those guys are traded.

11 minutes ago, WBWSF said:

From what I can see the White Sox have 4 choices. 1) Put Moncada  on third and put Burger at second. 2) Put Moncada at second and put Burger at third. 3) Trade Moncada. 4) Trade Burger.

Or 5) do none of those and put Burger back at AAA when Yoan is back and figure it out later. Which frankly is probably most likely. Moncada isn’t moving to 2B. This isn’t MLB the Show. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Or 5) do none of those and put Burger back at AAA when Yoan is back and figure it out later. Which frankly is probably most likely. Moncada isn’t moving to 2B. This isn’t MLB the Show. 

You might be right about going back to the minors. But I would think he would be upset  at being back in the minors. I would think he would ask to be traded.

I really hope other teams are taking notice of Burger.  He’s an easy 2 win guy for me and that has real value.  Hell, ZiPS thinks he’d be a ~2.5 win right now if given the playing time.  

But let’s put that into perspective from a value standpoint.  5 1/2 seasons of 2.5 win production at $8M per win would put his value at $110M.  He’ll get paid ~$1.5M for those first 2 1/2 years and let’s say $23.5M for the remaining three.  All in that puts his surplus value at like $85M.  That being said, he is on the older side for a “young” guy and those 5 1/2 years represent his age 26 to 31 seasons, so let’s factor in some decline and shave off 1.5 wins total from his projection.  That still puts his projected surplus value at $73M.

Now, a team like the A’s aren’t going to accept that projection without more of a track record.  But still, even with a 50% discount for uncertainty you’re not too far off from what Frankie Montas’ remaining 1 1/2 seasons should be worth.  Would the A’s want a guy so close to the majors as the bulk of their return though?  Hard to say, but they did acquire some near major league ready pieces in their other trades such as Langeliers & Pache.

Point is, Burger should be a fairly valuable commodity and each week that he performs at the major league level it only increases his value.  Unfortunately, I don’t see a realistic scenario in which both him and Moncada can co-exist and cover 3B & 2B.  That doesn’t mean Burger can’t be a valuable role player who fills in at 3B, 1B, & DH, but we already have a ton of guys who can do that.  I think he provides more value to the org as a trade chip to get us starting pitching help.  We just got hope the rest of the league sees the mix of potential & floor that ZiPS does.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, WBWSF said:

You might be right about going back to the minors. But I would think he would be upset  at being back in the minors. I would think he would ask to be traded.

He would ask to be traded?  How often do guys demand trades in MLB let alone ones with less than a year of service time?