GAMETHREAD 4/9/22: Sox vs Tigers (Cease vs Mize) 12:10 pm CST

TheTruth05

• Quin pinned this topic
54 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Are we going to see Sheets or Vaughn at DH today?  Seems like Vaughn deserves a start after yesterday’s performance.  Personally I’d use Gavin for Jose when it’s ~40 degrees out and we’re facing a RHP. 

Sheets needs to be in the lineup somewhere when we face a righty. 

This lineup needs Anderson badly. I can't remember the stats but I do remember there was a significant difference between wins and losses last year when Anderson was in the lineup vs when he wasn't. 

Edited by ScooterMcGee
  • Like 2

56 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Who else could you sit besides Vaughn or Pollock?

I think Sheets will be coming in to spell guys more when they need rest. Eloy, Pollock, Abreu. Unfortunately I don't think Sheets is going to get regular ab's unless an injury happens to an outfielder or Abreu.

Jose has been terrible against Mize (SSS but largest on team) and we all know how he performs in cold April & May weather.  As such, here’s what I’d go with today:

1. Pollock, RF
  2. Robert, CF
  3. Grandal, C#
  4. Jimenez, LF
  5. Sheets, DH*
  6. Vaughn, 1B
  7. Burger, 3B
  8. Garcia, SS#
  9. Harrison, 2B

This will never happen though and Vaughn is likely riding pine today.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Are we going to see Sheets or Vaughn at DH today?  Seems like Vaughn deserves a start after yesterday’s performance.  Personally I’d use Gavin for Jose when it’s ~40 degrees out and we’re facing a RHP. 

I’m afraid Tony is going to platoon Sheets and Vaughn.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

RHP on the mound, Sheets probably plays and AV sits after his huge homer yesterday.  It’s TLR logic after all.  I would  play AV over Abreu but we know it’s not happening. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Nothing quite like making AV a short side platoon player a week after turning 24. 

Unfortunately with Moncada out it puts more pressure on Tony to use Sheets.  And I really like Gavin, but weak side platooning Vaugh would be horrible for his development.  Let’s hope this is a short term thing and that Tony will rotate Andrew in several spots.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, ScooterMcGee said:

Abreu should probably be the one to sit, considering his awful Aprils, but his reputation precedes him.

Agreed.  Between the cold, his seeming decline against RHP, and his propensity to start slow in April, he would be my first choice.