A's interested in Andrew Vaughn/Sox in Montas

southsider2k5

16 minutes ago, he gone. said:

My guess is that Hahn or an agent close with Sox leaked this. Basically - hey guys, get off my back. i checked in, this is what they wanted. it's not happening. 

I wonder what the Reds were asking for Gray. 

Sox should (And probably have) explore with the Marlins. That team has so much pitching depth its scary...

Alcantara, Lopez, Rogers, Eleiser Hernandez, Luzardo, Meyer, Sixto Sanchez, Eury Perez, Edward Cabrera ... THATS NINE! DEEP!

I'm not sure how you navigate the Cuban pipeline and Colas/Cespedes or their perceived value ... nor do I know what we could/would trade them ... but I'd quite literally take any single one of those guys. Based on what we need right of way + cost my wish list would be in this order:

• Eleiser Hernandez - probably one of the cheapest options to acquire and like his stuff. They can just slot in no issue internally
  • Pablo Lopez - they were known to have him on the table in offseason. He's legit and would slot in right away on par with Cease or so
  • Sixto Sanchez - roll of dice. maybe buy low candidate. his shoulder is really troubling, but if healthy he can slot in as an immediate impact arm. You just can't have any expectations of innings from him which is kinda what we need right now. 
  • Rogers - he's expensive. he's good. 
  • Alcantara - probably untouchable, that's why he's so low. I'd trade Vaugh for him .... and I wouldn't trade Vaughn for many. 
  • Eury Perez - he's Grayson Rodriguez ... he's 19? 20? He will be Jose Fernandez type household name soon. Hell, If the price was right I'd slot him right after Pablo Lopez ... he could probably be with the Sox by year end working in a Kopech type role last year
  • Luzardo/Cabrera - i put them together. both have a wild streak. not the type of arm i want to rely on with where we are as a team. 
  • Meyer - he's great too, just costs a lot. 

Gray is on the Twins... or Jonathan on the Rangers? 

2 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

?…he literally says “I wonder what the Reds were asking for Gray”.

Obviously too much or we would have traded for him or Manaea...if you take Vaughn out of the equation, there's no way to acquire a top-flight/cost-controlled starting pitcher. 

Just have to wait for minor leaguers to establish themselves the first 3-4 months. 

1 hour ago, caulfield12 said:

Obviously too much or we would have traded for him or Manaea...if you take Vaughn out of the equation, there's no way to acquire a top-flight/cost-controlled starting pitcher. 

Just have to wait for minor leaguers to establish themselves the first 3-4 months. 

The Reds traded Gray for Chase Petty. Vaughn has far more trade value than Petty.

Rough couple days for you

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Fire 2

54 minutes ago, CeaseAndExist said:

The Reds traded Gray for Chase Petty. Vaughn has far more trade value than Petty.

Rough couple days for you

Well, the Manaea trade was for the #12 and #28 prospects of a so-called "average to below average" minor league system...so who's to say how players OTHER than Vaughn are being evaluated by MLB front offices. 

It will certainly be more of an issue after a couple of Velasquez starts.

I said this on the other threat regarding Vaughn but I'll say it again here.

The Sox should not trade Vaughn unless the return is absolutely silly (something like Montas + Murphy + Pache) despite the obvious need for pitching.

Montgomery or Kath? Sure. Those guys are in the next wave and the Sox are in a title window. Jose Rodriguez , Sheets, or Burger? Fine. They'll all likely be solid big leaguers but wont be part of the "core".

This would very much be like trading Eloy for Quintana. If you're going to trade a future star like Vaughn it should be for a Scherzer type player. "Cost-Controlled" pitchers are somewhat overrated in my opinion. You can easily lose an entire "cost-controlled" year to TJ and unlike hitters, the decline of pitchers tends to be much steeper than hitters. That isn't to say that cost-controlled pitching isn't extremely important/valuable, but the price to acquire it makes it a huge gamble.

I would much rather see what the Sox have with Cueto and let Lopez cover some starts until Gio and Lynn get back. The offense is going to bail them out of enough games to make it worth just waiting and seeing how bad the need for pitching is. A package around some of the lesser prospects should help get a guy that can tread water in the meantime should the Cueto experiment blow up. I'm all for picking up a player to keep Gio, Lynn, and Cease fresh and to keep Keuchel from reaching 160 IP. 

Trading Vaughn to get Montas after not even offering the QO is inexcusable. Look at what the QO is doing to Conforto's value (combined with his shoulder). Im not sure teams wouldve staked the money AND a draft pick on Rodon, but I digress.

The point is that I dont think a team competing for a world championship should trade a top pick and likely franchise cornerstone for a 3 starter (albiet a very solid one). I would rather pay for a top flight rental that'll be a Game 2 starter behind Gio. 

• Like 2

Just now, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

I am fine signing another guy and riding this out until the trade deadline when more become avaialble.

The only problem with this is that it taxes the bullpen. I think the bullpen will be very good this year but I am concerned about their innings. Hopefully Cueto and VV can give us something. 

Nobody would trade Vaughn right now. This is like a Facebook thread started by a Russian troll farm. Biden and Harris are in jail right now but it's a big secret. Mike Lindell is the shadow President.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, pcq said:

Nobody would trade Vaughn right now. This is like a Facebook thread started by a Russian troll farm. Biden and Harris are in jail right now but it's a big secret. Mike Lindell is the shadow President.

Vaughn is idiot proofing the situation. Hes gotta stay healthy to keep his current status

5 hours ago, pcq said:

Don't forget to use the promo code "Prez" to get a my pillow for only $19.99.

On 4/10/2022 at 12:29 PM, ChiSox59 said:

I know it says Sox are balking at the price (as they should). But if the Sox were to trade AV for 2 years of Montas, a guy who also has serious durability issues, I will lose all faith in Sox FO. Vaughn is the real deal. He’s not a guy you trade away. 

Pretty much stole what I was going to say. Yeah, I would be heated. Vaughn is on the verge of breaking out big time and Montas is very up and down. Along with having durability issues, as you mentioned. 

7 hours ago, Colome's Hat said:

THey can get Montas without Vaughn.  To be honest though, if they can ride this ship till July, Syndergaard will likely be available (not buying the Angels at all).  Syndergaard will be a hell of a lot cheaper than Montas.

I agree they can get Montas without Vaughn. I definitely want them to acquire a SP who is durable and would like to see how Thor pitches this season and if his arm holds up since he’s only thrown thrown 2 innings in 2 years. He might put us in the Rodon situation like last year and run into some dead arm/fatigue at the end of the season into the playoffs. If his arm holds up he is more valuable than Montas but that’s a big if.