A's interested in Andrew Vaughn/Sox in Montas

southsider2k5

This has obviously been a leak from the A's side.  I think they want to get this done sooner or later, and it is no coincidence that it happened right after all of the Sox pitching injuries, and it mentioned Andrew Vaughn by name two days after another rumor did the same thing.  I think the A's want to get this done sooner, while the Sox want to get it done at their price.

We all know the Sox would much rather sneak up on someone and make a deal in quiet, while Oakland wants the whole world to know so that they can try to get more/bigger bids for their last big chess auction.

This information was obviously put out there for a reason and with a purpose.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

This has obviously been a leak from the A's side.  I think they want to get this done sooner or later, and it is no coincidence that it happened right after all of the Sox pitching injuries, and it mentioned Andrew Vaughn by name two days after another rumor did the same thing.  I think the A's want to get this done sooner, while the Sox want to get it done at their price.

We all know the Sox would much rather sneak up on someone and make a deal in quiet, while Oakland wants the whole world to know so that they can try to get more/bigger bids for their last big chess auction.

So the Soxtalk insider actually  has a connection with the A’s? Seems questionable.

3 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Why would they quickly settle for a lousy package from the Padres when the Sox were supposedly in the thick of it…granted, one versus two years of control, but Manaea has the much better overall track record and is now being considered a dark horse MVP candidate?

The Olson package feels light too, because Pache might never be more than a low 200’s hitter.  It’s just weird they are supposedly so patient to negotiate in public now after ditching three of their studs (including Chapman) so quickly.  

Maybe they’re waiting on the Twins/Archer and Paddack to get bombed by the Dodgers…Dylan Bundy definitely held his ground coming out of the gate.

(Waits for Balta to show up with his own counter-prediction on those two guys.)

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, bmags said:

I can't wait for the Keuchel/Bumgarner swap, personally.

World Series experience. Throwing at least 92-93, touching 94 again. Left-handed.  Obvious issues with a TA7, but who knows.

• $15M deferred ($5M each of 2021-2023)
  • Limited Trade Protection (5-team no trade list)

• Only owed $60 million through 2024!!!  Probably has the White Sox on his no trade list, lol.

1 hour ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Do you still think there is smoke there and it’s just delayed?

Yeah, there was/is smoke for sure. People who know better than me seem to think it wasn't as close though and they would appear to be right.

• Haha 1

This is just plain stupid. Depending on which review or source you go by, the A's farm system is ranked 22nd -26th in MLB. They have gutted all their top players to have the 29th ranked team payroll...second to last! They don't have enough talent to waste Hahn's time telling him they are interested in Vaughn. Hahn isn't going to give up the 2019 overall #3 draft pick to a team like the A's who have nothing to offer. 

The Padres trade was the one to make. Just going off what was moved it doesn't seem like it cost as much and what they gave up we could have matched up well with.

We have a bunch of cheap relievers and we could have offered someone like Sheets.  How much worse is an offer Bummer and Sheets to Rogers and Rooker?

5 minutes ago, wrathofhahn said:

The Padres trade was the one to make. Just going off what was moved it doesn't seem like it cost as much and what they gave up we could have matched up well with.

We have a bunch of cheap relievers and we could have offered someone like Sheets.  How much worse is an offer Bummer and Sheets to Rogers and Rooker?

Its a better offer.  But the Sox most certainly are not in a position to be giving away Bummer.  

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, wrathofhahn said:

Bummer has way more years of control and you can probably argue he is the same caliber reliever that Rogers is. Sheets is also more valuable than Rooker. 

I would not include Sheets in any package for Montas. Sheets looked to be in great shape (from my perspective in RF yesterday) and seemed faster than he was last season as he tracked down a couple of fly balls including some that he had to run down a long way.

Sheets doeskin get the hype that Vaughn does but he could end up being just as valuable to this team.

1 minute ago, tray said:

I would not include Sheets in any package for Montas. Sheets looked to be in great shape (from my perspective in RF yesterday) and seemed faster than he was last season as he tracked down a couple of fly balls including some that he had to run down a long way.

Sheets doeskin get the hype that Vaughn does but he could end up being just as valuable to this team.

Sheets' value to the team is limited with Abreu, Jimenez, and Vaughn all being guys who can only play 1B, or play OF sub-optimally. True that none of those guys are lefties, but you have to have Grandal not catching 20-30% of the time so he can pick up that DH/1B time that might otherwise go to Sheets. You might have 2-3 spots in the post-season where you wish you had Sheets' lefty bat, but you'll have entire games where you wish you had Montas pitching, unless Keuchel is somehow a lot better than last year, which I'm not counting on.