4/10 Games

BamaDoc

Holy crap I have to catch up on Kanny. 

Colson 2B!

Colby Smelley! (Did we get multiple good catchers last draft?)

Jonny Ray with 5 Ks in 2 IP and a good start by Tommy Sommer. He was IUs Friday night starter right?

6 minutes ago, maxjusttyped said:

I think we're seeing why Romy wasn't handed the 2b job like some people (I understand why) were clamoring for towards the end of ST. Hit tool still has a ways to go.

I still think he should be on the roster over Mendick. He's much more useful. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, smellysox said:

I know I'm probably in the minority here but I really feel the Sox farm is So underrated and valued. This Kanny club - Wow! 

That being said, I don't think they're last. Bottom third - yes, but not last.

Edited by smellysox
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

I still think he should be on the roster over Mendick. He's much more useful. 

Romy needs to be somewhere that he can play every day. He's not going to become a better hitter playing 1-2 days a week on the Sox.

Mendick is pretty much what he's going to be. You're not wasting anything only playing him 1-2 days a week.

6 hours ago, kitekrazy said:

Isn't that based more on what's there in AAA?

Yeah, I mean this is an exciting start to the season but I don't think what we are seeing is out of step with that ranking and still think it's what it deserved.

But here are reasons why I think it was valid:

- Unlike previous white sox dead last farm rankings, the system does include quite a bit of talent that could become high-end. But much like previous dead last rankings we have these huge depth issues where multiple positions have no help close to being found. SP makes up close to 20% of a major league roster and it's a bunch of 40 FV guys and MILB depth until you get to A+, and I'm talking about Burke there, who has a lot of arm build-up left.

- In 2018-19 our farm was super fun not just because it had a bunch of high-end guys, but they were all performing. 2021 was the inverse of that, while we had some successes in guys like Romy, Rodriguez and Ramos emerge with really good years, our high-budget draft picks of Kelly, Dalquist and Thompson had atrocious years. Our Kanny young hitters had mostly atrocious years (Beard, Gladney, Bailey,  Previously promising pitchers like Stiever and Lambert reaffirmed they were now just fodder after coming back from injuries.

- Possible Guy Norge Vera didn't play, and exciting pickup cespedes didn't light the world on fire as a for-his-age prospect in High-A. 

So basically we have a farm with a bunch of potential (Thompson, Dalquist, Kelly, Vera and added Kath, Montgomery, Macdougal) that hasn't come close to showing it yet and is viewed with more skepticism, while guys that are performing (Rodriguez, Sosa, Ramos, Mieses) are building up a case but still viewed skeptically (though ramos probably about to burst through, my sweet boy Rodriguez is still viewed at arms length as just a UTIL guy unless he improves hit tool).

And when you compare that to other teams, it's lack of immediate top 150 guys sticks out, and then guys we are excited also have guys like that in every other org.

But that said, with a 2019-esque year on the farm, it could jump up quite a bit because they are a young group. AND our bottom of the league farm of the early-mid-10s produced way more major league impact than would have been predicted. 

AND guys that were just considered bleh like Sheets and Burger last year have contributed quite a bit to the major league club. It's not destitute, but it isn't inaccurate.

The main thing for me is they just need to add MORE. More more more more more. Bigger LatAm, and I don't know that we can afford these 2020 like classes. I think looking back I'm totally cool with 2021. Kath was not as expensive as I remember, and we did some big work in the 11-20 range. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I hope the pitching advances early. The last thing I want to see is no pitching emerge and the Sox draft a college arm that can “get up quickly though limited upside and likely reliever “ profile. That’s fine if it is non first round  senior type for 10k where you could accomplish both cheap relief and $ versatility for other picks.