Off Day

Texsox

I understand the need but dislike early season off days. 

2-1 split isn't bad, but obviously should have been a sweep. 

Injuries, how's everyone feeling? Is Soxtalk at full strength for tomorrow? 

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

does feel like most years these offdays get filled with rain delays. Some years ago I proposed scheduling no opening week games in outdoor northern team stadiums and was met with "it's still rainy and cold in week two!" but my point was it's likely less cold and opening day pushed back to week 2 in detroit where it did not delay and found two reasonable mid 40s and sunny days makes me more confident.

2 hours ago, Texsox said:

I understand the need but dislike early season off days. 

2-1 split isn't bad, but obviously should have been a sweep. 

Injuries, how's everyone feeling? Is Soxtalk at full strength for tomorrow? 

I am drinking hot lemonade by the gallon to get over the worst cold ever.  Should be in playing shape by tomorrow, however.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, bmags said:

does feel like most years these offdays get filled with rain delays. Some years ago I proposed scheduling no opening week games in outdoor northern team stadiums and was met with "it's still rainy and cold in week two!" but my point was it's likely less cold and opening day pushed back to week 2 in detroit where it did not delay and found two reasonable mid 40s and sunny days makes me more confident.

Do you have a newsletter?

41 minutes ago, bmags said:

Supposedly the southern teams don't want all of the April early dates either, which is why this has never happened.

My thought is things are going to get a little ugly before they get better. 

They are going to miss at least two Gio starts, Lynn is out for 4-6 weeks. 

Meaning as of right now, the Sox currently have a rotation of Cease-Kopech-Keuchel-Velasquez-Unnamed 

Keuchel could bounce back this season and Velasquez could surprise, but both seem unlikely. Then you just have an open spot right now as the 5th starter....April might be rough for our Sox. 

7 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Supposedly the southern teams don't want all of the April early dates either, which is why this has never happened.

This is where a good commissioner would be helpful.

8 minutes ago, Quin said:

Small sample sizes, but w/e

And I like that is from guys who are capable of taking big leaps.  Obviously no one expects no strike outs from these guys, but their ceilings indicate that a big leap is still possible in all three cases

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bmags said:

Good stuff. Two angles too, is it more a sign of things to come for white sox or sign of a step back for tigers pitching staff

Some of each. The Detroit pitchers seemed to either have weak stuff or control issues, but the Sox still had to have good approaches to take advantage. Our guys did what they needed to. The mix of approaches, strengths, and weaknesses seem better this year

9 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

And I like that is from guys who are capable of taking big leaps.  Obviously no one expects no strike outs from these guys, but their ceilings indicate that a big leap is still possible in all three cases

Not going to try to pretend I know a damn thing about baseball swings, but there was a good Fegan piece on AV's off-season work to shorten his hand load.

And like most study guides, it was a refresher. Vaughn and Menechino had talked about shrinking his hand load last June, producing the big midseason stretch that gave a glimpse of the type of hitter that was anticipated when Vaughn was drafted. A 140 at-bat stretch from late June to mid-August saw Vaughn hit .321/.386/.564 in 42 games. It was around the end of that stretch that Vaughn said he hit a wall physically, having blown away his career-highs for games played in a season. As injuries in his back and legs mounted, his new mechanics became harder to maintain, and the temptation to force things beckoned.

As big as his leg kick is, Vaughn has a feel for keeping balanced, timed and consistent with it that most of baseball would envy. What becomes more problematic is when it becomes linked to an equally sizable drawdown of his hands as he loads up his swing, which led to more swing and miss than Vaughn was willing to tolerate last year. A longer path increases the difficulty of staying on same-handed velocity, producing stark platoon splits. The key is finding a hand placement that allows Vaughn to get on plane to drive the ball with a short hand movement, rather than pulling them down in pursuit of more power.

https://theathletic.com/3240226/2022/04/10/white-soxs-swiss-army-knife-andrew-vaughn-is-showing-off-his-offseason-work-at-any-position-available/

30 minutes ago, Tony said:

Meaning as of right now, the Sox currently have a rotation of Cease-Kopech-Keuchel-Velasquez-Unnamed 

Keuchel could bounce back this season and Velasquez could surprise, but both seem unlikely. Then you just have an open spot right now as the 5th starter....April might be rough for our Sox. 

Yes but all the other teams also have their equivalent 3-4-5 pitchers as well so as long as the bats stay healthy we should be ok until Gio and Lynn are back.

56 minutes ago, Tony said:

Lynn is 6-8 more likely. 

It's ok, because Cease and Kopech are going to shove, and so will Gio in a couple weeks. Kopech's stuff is so good he can still get outs when he has no command like yesterday. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

15 minutes ago, Chimpton said:

Yes but all the other teams also have their equivalent 3-4-5 pitchers as well so as long as the bats stay healthy we should be ok until Gio and Lynn are back.

At this point, most teams 3-4-5 are better than what the Sox have throwing out there, and it’s not like it’s always going to be a No. 5 starter vs. No. 5 starter in each matchup….things get blown up after the first few games. 

Not trying to be overly negative, this team 100% has the bats to overcome some bad starts….but that won’t last forever. Their current rotation is in a BAD place right now. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Tony said:

At this point, most teams 3-4-5 are better than what the Sox have throwing out there, and it’s not like it’s always going to be a No. 5 starter vs. No. 5 starter in each matchup….things get blown up after the first few games. 

Not trying to be overly negative, this team 100% has the bats to overcome some bad starts….but that won’t last forever. Their current rotation is in a BAD place right now. 

It also doesn't help that the Sox farm system sucks and they couldn't land Manaea. They're going to have to try to scrape by with VV/Keuchel in the 4/5 spots during April(or until Cueto is ready) and quite frankly even though VV kinda sucks I'd still rather roll with him in the 5th spot when Cueto is ready because I see an outside chance of hope for him, but none for Keuchel. BTW Cueto should have been signed weeks ago and he should be ready now, but the Sox are dumbasses. 

Edited by Jack Parkman