Tony's Bullpen Usage 2022

MackowiakYakYak

My first thoughts are that Tony had a good opening series. Bringing Hendriks in was the right decision even though it didn't turn out. My only critique would be that he possibly didn't give Hendriks enough time to get warmed up before entering in the 8th. Being quick to go to the bullpen instead of forcing starters into more innings was a good decision as well. Trusting the rookies turned out to be a great choice and will help the health of our bullpen overall. 2 and 2/3rds innings for Graveman is the only outlier for inning count.

I'd give Tony an A grading for bullpen usage in the opening Detroit series. He did what the situations warranted and didn't have anyone throw too many pitches.

1 hour ago, ptatc said:

You should change the title to TLR and Katz.  Katz will have a great if input on these moves.

Typically, I would believe more in this, but after hearing the story about Tony overruling his coaches on a rule interpt, I don't think this is the case as much, especially if Tony has a different thought.

• Like 1

Just now, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

Banks used to be a starter, there’s other options. Hell, even Foster can go multiple.

That was kind of my point with Banks.  If VV goes 2 or 3 innings, it would be nice to back him up with a guy who can go 4 to 5 innings of work to fill in the gap and not fry the pen in game 1 of a series.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, southsider2k5 said:

That was kind of my point with Banks.  If VV goes 2 or 3 innings, it would be nice to back him up with a guy who can go 4 to 5 innings of work to fill in the gap and not fry the pen in game 1 of a series.

Who do you use in those innings? I like where our bullpen’s innings totals are at by having Banks throw 2. It gives another pitcher a day of rest and gets Banks acclimated to pitching multiple innings a game in the majors. I know Banks is an experienced starting pitcher but I wouldn’t peg him as a 3-5 inning reliever at this point because he has made changes to increase his velocity.