HOME OPENER GAMETHREAD 4/12/22: Sox vs Mariners (Velasquez vs Brash) 3:10 pm CDT

TheTruth05

3 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

SB, I believe you like Vaughn ha. This isn't a vaughn fanhood pissing match, although if it were my stream would be long and strong, I was just saying that those who are bothered about La Russa treating him as a weak side platoon to start the year have a real gripe. 

I hear ya, and I get the frustration. I just think it's too early to think this will turn into a platoon. If it does, I will be furious.

I also think it's fine to be bothered by it this early. I just think it's an overreaction if you think this means Vaughn will be part of a platoon all year.

57 minutes ago, Jerksticks said:

Cool now do that for us

We're already there ... we're two years ahead of Seattle give or take. We have every single piece minus we did not address pitching depth. It will end up burning us in the ALDS or ALCS when we lose. Or, in a perfect world it will affect us in the long run when we trade away our already thin minors to supplement in the rotation. Either way, our inability to spend has cost us a 10-25% chance of winning the world series. still could happen (see braves) but not the smartest away to attack.

Just now, he gone. said:

We're already there ... we're two years ahead of Seattle give or take. We have every single piece minus we did not address pitching depth. It will end up burning us in the ALDS or ALCS when we lose. Or, in a perfect world it will affect us in the long run when we trade away our already thin minors to supplement in the rotation. Either way, our inability to spend has cost us a 10-25% chance of winning the world series. still could happen (see braves) but not the smartest away to attack.

If If If If If If If If.....If you don't mind.

6 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

That seems.....optimistic.....based on what we've seen 4 games in.  

Depends on if he means games started or games played. As of now, Vaughn has played in every game this year.  Last year, he played in 127 games, and I would expect him to play in more this year.

51 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

You mix the most popular guy on the Sox next to TA and throw in the most hated manager and this is what it leads to.

Too much hatred here is starting to affect me.

1 minute ago, SoxBlanco said:

Depends on if he means games started or games played. As of now, Vaughn has played in every game this year.  Last year, he played in 127 games, and I would expect him to play in more this year.

GAMES STARTED.. WHO CARES ABOUT A PINCH HIT GAME LOL (non caps)

Edited by Squirmin' for Yermin

15 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

I'm going to use starts and not "games played" as we saw with Pollock injury. Vaughn would have to start 87% of the games the rest of the way to get to that number. That seems incredibly unlikely but hope you're right.

I was thinking games played including pinch hitting. For starts I'll go with 135.

10 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

That seems.....optimistic.....based on what we've seen 4 games in.  

Agreed. I don't think the first 4 games will be indicative of the rest if the season.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, ptatc said:

Agreed. I don't think the first 4 games will be indicative of the rest if the season.

I guess I could see it based on pinch hitting.  I was moreso referring to starts.  

I hope you're right tho.  AV is a much better player than Gaving Sheets. 

5 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

I guess I could see it based on pinch hitting.  I was moreso referring to starts.  

I hope you're right tho.  AV is a much better player than Gaving Sheets. 

What's the best way to look up how many starts a player has?  I'm curious how many of Vaughn's 127 games played last year were starts.

Of course the coaches are telling Tony to play AV. He is likely to log 500 AB's so let's enjoy his development this year. People also wanted a veteran OF and Sheets deserves his AB's as well. Most good teams have talent on their benches waiting for some PT.

1 hour ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Look for a young player who started off hot a good manager is going to sit down with him and tell him why and reassure him he will get plenty of AB's. Nothing is obvious to me because I don't make assumptions like everyone else does that Vaughn is a problem for TLR.  It's a long long season and you are panicking over nothing.

There is no need for reassurances and conferences if the hot hitting young player isn't getting buried in platoon opportunities, nor is there a need for a 15 to 20 minute "discussion" with the coaching staff if they didn't have an issue with it either.  The obvious answer is obvious.

Meh, the AV/Sheets thing will work itself out.

IMO, the bigger issue is that if Velasquez shits his pants, then everyone who wasn't paying attention this offseason, and/or the RH apologists will finally figure out that SP depth is and was an issue, from the second they stupidly gave Rodon away for free. I REAALLLY want Velasquez to pitch well, so that RH doesn't compound his moronic TDL and offseason by making a stupid panic buy for a SP.

Godspeed, Vince Velasquez. The future of this team hangs upon your shoulders. Fucking throw strikes today.

Edited by Two-Gun Pete

3 minutes ago, SoxBlanco said:

What's the best way to look up how many starts a player has?  I'm curious how many of Vaughn's 127 games played last year were starts.

B-R has it shown under appearances. 

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/v/vaughan01.shtml#all_appearances

116 starts for him last year, 6 of which were at DH.

• Thanks 1