HOME OPENER GAMETHREAD 4/12/22: Sox vs Mariners (Velasquez vs Brash) 3:10 pm CDT

TheTruth05

33 minutes ago, BamaDoc said:

Took a look at Mariners farm.  Their #6 prospect starts against us tonight.  He would be #1 in our system and there are two more 55FV pitchers above him and a 70FV OF and 60FV SS.  Not wanting to trade places, but their future looks bright.

Problem is they need half a dozen position player regulars plus three average or better SP out of it. They need 2/3 of Lewis, Kelenic and Rodriguez to be stars and then fill in around them with average regulars. Pitching they need similar, two TOR guys to emerge and then fill in around. They got a long way to go imo.

TLR looks at the entire series before making his decisions.  Vaughn is a no brainer for tomorrow with a lefty (Ray) on the mound.  He wants to give Sheets one of the three games, so he'd rather sit Vaughn against the guy with a nasty slider.

I won't complain until I see Sheets starting against all righties.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, SoxBlanco said:

TLR looks at the entire series before making his decisions.  Vaughn is a no brainer for tomorrow with a lefty (Ray) on the mound.  He wants to give Sheets one of the three games, so he'd rather sit Vaughn against the guy with a nasty slider.

I won't complain until I see Sheets starting against all righties.

Has Vaughn started against a righty yet?  I don't think so.  0/2.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

These fucks are really going to platoon Vaughn aren't they...

LOL You don't want Sheets to get any AB's to see if that .900 OPS against righties wasn't a mirage ? I know it sucks to have him in RF but looks like TLR is getting the lefties in the lineup against a guy with a nasty slider. It will take a lot of AB's by both Sheets and Vaughn to see if things have changed for both of them.

Just now, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

LOL You don't want Sheets to get any AB's to see if that .900 OPS against righties wasn't a mirage ? I know it sucks to have him in RF but looks like TLR is getting the lefties in the lineup against a guy with a nasty slider. It will take a lot of AB's by both Sheets and Vaughn to see if things have changed for both of them.

I'm not mad sheets is playing.. I am mad McGuire is playing, and Grandal as had FOUR days off catching.   That doesn't need to be happening

• Like 1

Just now, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

But we need to get McGuires great bat in the lineup.

He did look quite good behind the dish on Sunday.  But yes.  I don't see why Yaz can't catch today.  He hasn't caught since Sat. 

I’m fine getting Sheets in the game, but he should be DH with Grandal catching.  Sacrificing defense in RF is a big mistake with the “pitching” we’re likely to see the Sox throw today.  Bench Vaughn today, that’s fine. But at least have Engel in.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Gavin Sheets shouldn't start a single game in RF.

• Like 4

32 minutes ago, Spumoni said:

I like Sheets as much as anyone but if he is going to consistently take ABs away from Vaughn we are better off trading him.

It's the pitcher that is taking AB's away from righties this game. It's not just Vaughn. That's why we have Leury, Grandal and McGuire all in the lineup .

39 minutes ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

These fucks are really going to platoon Vaughn aren't they...

36 minutes ago, Spumoni said:

I like Sheets as much as anyone but if he is going to consistently take ABs away from Vaughn we are better off trading him.

34 minutes ago, BigHurt3515 said:

Garcia playing over Burger and Vaughn not starting. I am already tired of Tony and his shitty use of players

29 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Nevermind my previous statement.  Back to TLR hating.

26 minutes ago, Quin said:

TLR gonna force Hahn to trade Sheets.

11 minutes ago, CentralChamps21 said:

Yesterday: Vaughn is way too valuable to trade for Montas.

Today: Vaughn needs to sit so we can get more lefty bats in the lineup.

9 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Vaughn going to start 70 games with La Russa in charge.

9 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Andrew Vaughn needs to play everyday.  Its not that complicated.  

Welcome to the Dark Side of the Dark Side 

dark-side.gif

1 minute ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

And if Vaughn starts in RF are you going to say the same thing ? I mean I already said it sucks to have him in RF especially with Velasquez pitching.

Andrew Vaughn also is not a RF'er. If I had to pick one or the other though, I'd take the guy who was fine in LF last year. His arm sucks and he's slow, which isn't great, but he takes decent routes to balls and gets decent reads which is surprising.

Sheets is slow... has a bad arm, and can't read a fly ball. Those are three pretty large issues as a MLB outfielder. 

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run

From a baseball standpoint, I am not really crazy about this lineup.

From a game thread standpoint, any opportunity to see more sophomoric humor at the expense our our new catcher's "transgressions" are welcome before the jokes get too old.

2 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Andrew Vaughn also is not a RF'er. If I had to pick one or the other though, I'd take the guy who was fine in LF last year. His arm sucks and he's slow, which isn't great, but he takes decent routes to balls and gets decent reads which is surprising.

Sheets is slow... has a bad arm, and can't read a fly ball. Those are three pretty large issues as a MLB outfielder. 

Then we have Eloy who looks like a baby gazelle in left and made us all collectively hold our breaths after needlessly running into Robert the other day.

3 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Sheets is slow... has a bad arm, and can't read a fly ball. Those are three pretty large issues as a MLB outfielder

Those are fairly troublesome in little league.

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

I'm fine with the lineup. Getting Vaughn two days off in a row after his hip pointer isn't the worst idea. It's a marathon guys.

Vaughn was scheduled to sit on Saturday as well. Don't kid yourself, this isn't injury or rest related. Vaughn is being treated as a weak side of a platoon. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Vaughn was scheduled to sit on Saturday as well. Don't kid yourself, this isn't injury or rest related. Vaughn is being treated as a weak side of a platoon. 

I only have so much rage in me these days. Gonna save it for at least a few more weeks.

• Like 1