HOME OPENER GAMETHREAD 4/12/22: Sox vs Mariners (Velasquez vs Brash) 3:10 pm CDT

TheTruth05

2 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

I only have so much rage in me these days. Gonna save it for at least a few more weeks.

fair enough! this is true. no reason to be raged over it; at this point, I just laugh at La Russa's overall thought process. Lineups don't mean all that much, unless of course you are sitting on of your better hitters 90 times in a season. 

gotta admit, it's also funny to see vaughn treated as some untouchable by Rick, but he can't even get into the home opener lineup vs a rookie pitcher lol.

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

Also worth noting that despite being a RHP, Brash was tougher on lefties (.476 OPS allowed) than righties (.583 OPS allowed) last year

Both ugly numbers...LOL.

At first I was like wtf....but Vaughn against that slider could be ugly.  On the other hand he needs to learn and he might only last 3-4 innings given it being his 1st start.

I also agree that having Grandal catch less this year (and more DH) is a good idea.  It just sucks we have 5 DHs on our team.

3 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

This guy has all of about 100 innings above low A ball. I don't really care how he pitched down in A+ and AA last year I'd expect the Sox to shell him.

His stuff is really nasty. Might get shelled, but I'm excited to watch him pitch. 

11 minutes ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

YUP.  0/2 in starting vs a RHP.  

Considering the rest of the year won't be an even 50/50 split with RHSP vs. LHSP AV will get a lot of starts against RHP as he should. As the AB's pile up for both Vaughn and Sheets there will be more data to make an informed decision . If Vaughn shows significant improvement against RHP while Sheets takes a big OPS drop against them I will be all for Vaughn on an everyday basis. But it's fair to say neither one should be in RF but that's what happens when you have too many 1B DH types. Vaughn will definitely get more starts in the OF than Sheets will since he's proven himself competent in LF.

6 minutes ago, BFirebird said:

Both ugly numbers...LOL.

At first I was like wtf....but Vaughn against that slider could be ugly.  On the other hand he needs to learn and he might only last 3-4 innings given it being his 1st start.

I trust Vaughn against a nasty slider from RHP more than I trust Jimenez or Abreu, personally. But that's also factoring in improvements from Vaughn that I'm confident, but not positive he has made yet

34 minutes ago, wegner said:

From a baseball standpoint, I am not really crazy about this lineup.

From a game thread standpoint, any opportunity to see more sophomoric humor at the expense our our new catcher's "transgressions" are welcome before the jokes get too old.

You mean like how “Beat it” by Michael Jackson is his walk up song

• Thanks 1
  • Love 1

1 minute ago, southsider2k5 said:

So Tony wants to platoon him and the rest of the staff knows he is crazy.  Gee I wonder who wins.

LOl you sure read a lot into "debated". There's a lot more to talk about with the lineup than just Vaughn. I would imagine keeping Grandal as healthy as possible while keeping him in the lineup and getting another LH who happens to be a really good defensive catcher was a good part of the debate too.