What is more important starting pitchers or position players?

soxlover15

I  know it totally takes an entire team to win it all but what do you think is more important starting pitching or position players? Voice your opinion here. Shoot not sure how to do a poll but hey not bad typing for being buzzed huh? i am old school don't  speak to type anyway thank you!!

15 minutes ago, soxlover15 said:

I  know it totally takes an entire team to win it all but what do you think is more important starting pitching or position players? Voice your opinion here. Shoot not sure how to do a poll but hey not bad typing for being buzzed huh? i am old school don't  speak to type anyway thank you!!

Regular season, position players.

Post season, elite starting pitchers.

Edited by caulfield12

3 hours ago, soxlover15 said:

Whichever you don't have.

• Like 3

I think it's easier to win without premium position players than it is without premium starting pitching. With all the injuries last year, the Sox had significant playing time from Garcia, Goodwin, Mercedes, Collins, Hernandez, Mendick, Sheets, Hamilton, Zavala and Lamb and still won the division easily.

If Giolito or Lynn are down for longer than expected or Cease/Kopech have injuries, it will be much harder to overcome.

In the modern game it's position players. Run prevention and run scoring is about equally as important but SPs only pitch like 60% of the innings in today's game, plus pitching is only like 80% of run prevention with the rest being defense which is done by position players. 

But of course without a strong rotation it still is very hard to win especially since a BP can only take so much and even a good pen will blow up if 2 or more starters regularly have to get lifted before the 5th.

• Like 1

Pitching, always pitching

Pitching injury rate is higher so the importance increases

Even the best hitters are successful 40% of the time and the bad hitters 30%. Good pitching beats good hitting.

Edited by ptatc
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

Tony can tell you first hand all you need is an Ace and one gimpy at bat to win a World Series.

Many other teams carried one or two top pitchers and an average squad to a WS title throughout baseball history.

The Sox went 11-1 in 2005 because of their four dominant starters. Didn't need much of a bullpen or offense.

• ALDS: 14-2; 5-4; 5-3. ALCS: 3-2; 2-1; 5-2; 8-2. WS: 5-3; 7-6; 7-5 (14 Inn); 1-0.

There’s no answer to this. You can overcome a lack of one with an overwhelming abundance of the other, but it’s easier to just to be balanced. 

If you’re thinking about what might be the right focus for improving the team, I think it’s more helpful to look at specific positions that are underperforming, i.e. 2B, SP4, etc.

pitchers can win the game on their own, but they are incredibly risky in both projections and injury risk IMO.

so in an ideal world, a no injury, no bust perfect starting pitcher is the #1 weapon.

but we don't get a real world, so it's often easier/smarter to build with hitters a la astros

think of DET and Kansas city right now who had an abundance of SP prospects and now look a bit like fools

On 4/12/2022 at 7:37 AM, ptatc said:

Pitching, always pitching

Pitching injury rate is higher so the importance increases

Even the best hitters are successful 40% of the time and the bad hitters 30%. Good pitching beats good hitting.

I don’t think this logic holds in this case. If you’re using the per-AB break even point as a baseline, then it also holds true that mediocre pitching beats good hitting, so why bother getting good pitching? The fact that outs are more common than hits is just a  part of the game; you have to measure based on your teams ability relative to those norms/relative to the abilities of your opponents. At the end of the day, you just have to end up with more runs than your opponent, whether the score 11-10 or 1-0.

I think if I were going to be convinced that one aspect of the game more important than the other, someone would have to show that one could be more reliably trained/lead to more consistent results. And I’m not sure that’s possible, given how offense vs. defense is a zero-sum game — if one was consistently more dominant, then the other would be equally consistently bad, and when it came to differentiation from your opponents, you’d be back to square one.

pitchers can win the game on their own, but they are incredibly risky in both projections and injury risk IMO.

so in an ideal world, a no injury, no bust perfect starting pitcher is the #1 weapon.

but we don't get a real world, so it's often easier/smarter to build with hitters a la astros

think of DET and Kansas city right now who had an abundance of SP prospects and now look a bit like fools

12 hours ago, RTC said:

Option C : Not the bullpen.  Don’t spend a crap ton of money there. 

Do you see that changing with starters getting pulled sooner and sooner? It seems like starting pitchers are barely covering half a game. That puts a lot of innings on the bullpen.

I will be surprised if roster expansion isn't a major factor in the next CBA.