GAMETHREAD 4/13/22: Sox vs Mariners (Keuchel vs Ray) 6:10 pm CDT

TheTruth05

1 minute ago, caulfield12 said:

Well, if Liam pitches his next 8 2/3 without giving up a run, his ERA will be down to 4.

Supposed to be VERY high winds tomorrow afternoon.

Let's hope for Lambert's sake they are not blowing out or Julio Rodriguez might end up with 3 dingers.

We've already won the series. Tomorrow is whatever, especially with Lambert starting and Hendriks/Graveman unavailable.

2 minutes ago, priznr said:

the 4th for ray was the worst inning to play in in the field.  players were skating!   i think normally the sox would have scored1 run if not for the rain. 

Yo  uh were listening to the Mariner’s propaganda TV team

Just now, chw42 said:

Liam isn't getting any younger. He's gonna have to come to the conclusion that he can't keep throwing 99 MPH fastballs by people without mixing some other pitches in. Especially when he's no longer averaging high 90s on his fastballs in a few years. It's weird because he used to be a starter so he should know all of this. 

His velocity is only marginally down from last season, but I don't think 0.4 ticks is significant given how early it is in the season. He's still pitching at a higher velo this year than he was in 2019 and 2020, both years in which he was arguably the best reliever in baseball.

I would like to see him mix in more sliders too, but there is zero indication at all his stuff is declining or that he needs to alter his approach at all. The pitch usage he's had over the last 3 years has been very consistent, and that's lead to him having one of the best 3 year stretches for any reliever of all-time. He is fine and aside for the instances when he gets too fastball reliant, I don't think needs to change anything at all. People are just overreacting to 3 bad appearances.

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/liam-hendriks-still-underrated/

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, maxjusttyped said:

His velocity is only marginally down from last season, but I don't think 0.4 ticks is significant given how early it is in the season. He's still pitching at a higher velo this year than he was in 2019 and 2020, both years in which he was arguably the best reliever in baseball.

I would like to see him mix in more sliders too, but there is zero indication at all his stuff is declining or that he needs to alter his approach at all. The pitch usage he's had over the last 3 years has been very consistent, and that's lead to him having one of the best 3 year stretches for any reliever of all-time. He is fine and aside for the instances when he gets too fastball reliant, I don't think needs to change anything at all. People are just overreacting to 3 bad appearances.

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/liam-hendriks-still-underrated/

To be clear, I don't think his stuff is declining yet. I just think he needed the extra few weeks of ST to get fully ready. But I'm looking at that option year in 2024 that we've basically already guaranteed and wondering just how effective Liam will be when he might not have the extra oomph on the fastball at the age of 35. 

16 minutes ago, priznr said:

no. luis earned the hr.  but burgers 'single' probably is a dp ending the innning with 1 run scored.   imo.

that single had an exit velocity of 110.5 mph. Crawford was there, it just ate him up

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, chw42 said:

To be clear, I don't think his stuff is declining yet. I just think he needed the extra few weeks of ST to get fully ready. But I'm looking at that option year in 2024 that we've basically already guaranteed and wondering just how effective Liam will be when he might not have the extra oomph on the fastball at the age of 35. 

Agreed. I'd be in favor of reaching out to Coop so he can teach Liam the cutter. 

• Haha 2

25 minutes ago, chw42 said:

Yep his command was off in ST and it’s carried over to the first week of games.  So far, the curveball looks better than the slider.

1 minute ago, fathom said:

Yep his command was off in ST and it’s carried over to the first week of games.  So far, the curveball looks better than the slider.

Yeah I remember him walking a bunch of guys in ST. I didn't think much of it, but with the way he's thrown so far, you can tell he's not fully there yet. 

32 minutes ago, lostfan said:

that single had an exit velocity of 110.5 mph. Crawford was there, it just ate him up

lots of real fast balls are outs.  i think it was the weather conditions that cost him.  hey ... it's my opinion!