GAMETHREAD 4/13/22: Sox vs Mariners (Keuchel vs Ray) 6:10 pm CDT

TheTruth05

8 minutes ago, GREEDY said:

I am a Keuchel bull but there are very few scenarios where the club will be excited to be on the hook for 20 million next year.  I don't want to bury him.  But I don't want to have an awkward storyline down the stretch if he's been good but not great (which I think is possible).  In that scenario you won't want to pay him 20 million next year, but you also won't want the BS that will come with manipulating his innings.  

I saw the weather report, knew it was Keuchel's day and realized it wouldn't be a bad thing for him to miss his start.  That isn't "Soxtalk-ish".

Sorry I misunderstood your intent.  I really don't think Kuechel hitting his 160 inning vesting is a concern with the Sox bullpen...even if he is REALLY good I think the Sox keep him as a 5 inning pitcher and with 30 starts he doesn't make the 160 inning mark.  But let's be fanciful...and he regains his control and he is very good this year...wouldn't there be a scenario at 140 innings where they restructure his contract and turn it into a three year $30 million thing?  Mark Buehrle as a fifth starter for the next three years would be a nice option.   

3 minutes ago, michelangelosmonkey said:

Sorry I misunderstood your intent.  I really don't think Kuechel hitting his 160 inning vesting is a concern with the Sox bullpen...even if he is REALLY good I think the Sox keep him as a 5 inning pitcher and with 30 starts he doesn't make the 160 inning mark.  But let's be fanciful...and he regains his control and he is very good this year...wouldn't there be a scenario at 140 innings where they restructure his contract and turn it into a three year $30 million thing?  Mark Buehrle as a fifth starter for the next three years would be a nice option.   

No, there is no scenario where that happens. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Buehrle>Wood said:

It's my favorite subset of soxtalk

Lol for sure.  

Don’t forget the Holiday Inn Express doctors googling body parts to completely waste everybody’s time while we wait for ptac to comment.  

3 minutes ago, bmags said:

I feel like the compressed schedule is going to lead to fans being put through the wringer on games like tonight, trying to fit them in.

Next year should be interesting playing every team. They’ll wait out a lot more games since there’s more one and done trips.

Maybe they’ll get a window tonight. We’ll see.

Edited by flavum
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, ChiSox59 said:

This seems like something we shouldn't worry about until August.  Chances are remote Keuchel gets to 160 innings.  Chances are much better he's either not in the rotation or not on the roster come august 1.  Even if he is on pace to get to 160 come trade deadline season, just acquire a pitcher and bump him from the rotation.  Replacing a pitcher who isn't very good isn't grounds for a grievance. 

With as cheap as the Sox can be, they aren't paying Keuchel $20M next year to be a gas can. 

I'm worried that Keuchel wins the Cy Young and we have to pay him a lot of money.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, pcq said:

I'm worried that Keuchel wins the Cy Young and we have to pay him a lot of money.

What are the current Vegas odds on that one?

2024 Vesting Option vests with 320 IP across 2021-2022, including 160 IP in 2022

So he simply needs to pitch 160 innings this year, ending up at 322 total.  Not 158.

Edited by caulfield12

14 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Down from 75-80% chance of rain at game time-9pm to the 40-50% range.  Maybe there is hope. 

Weather downtown has mellowed out, warmish and humid.

57 minutes ago, pcq said:

I'm worried that Keuchel wins the Cy Young AGAIN and we have to pay him a lot of money.

Edited as a reminder at one point he was the best pitcher in the league. I'm bullish on his start and could care less if the team isn't as profitable next year.

11 minutes ago, pcq said:

Weather downtown has mellowed out, warmish and humid.

God I'd give my left nut to feel a warm humid midwest spring day right now. currently at a damp 42 here. worst start to spring I can remember in over a decade here. we are 15-18 degrees below normal going on a week now.

5 minutes ago, Marqhead said:

I need a game tonight. I've tried filling my boredom with family, religion, and community service but those were dead ends. 

I'm going to be in my car after 8:00 so I would love to be listening to DJ and Len for the ride.