Apple TV plus

Harold's Leg Lift

45 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

It's so fragmented any more. It's gotten awful.

People in Iowa are still blacked out.  MLB created more revenue streams and did not increase viewership.  Seems, I dunno extremely fucking dumb 

• Like 3
  • Fire 1

9 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

People in Iowa are still blacked out.  MLB created more revenue streams and did not increase viewership.  Seems, I dunno extremely fucking dumb 

Blackout areas should coincide with the distribution of a team's primary channel. What is that so hard to do?

9 minutes ago, CentralChamps21 said:

Blackout areas should coincide with the distribution of a team's primary channel. What is that so hard to do?

Blackout areas simply should not exist anymore.  Time to step out of the stone age

i might be off here but I thought they were more or less created to force people who lived close to go to the park instead of watching on tv.  It simply doesn't make sense for an entire state that doesn't have a baseball team to be blacked out.  And to be quite honest I'm not sure how mlb justifies it to themselves to try to NOT make more money there 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, southsider2k5 said:

It's so fragmented any more. It's gotten awful.

I said it five years ago - Ala carte would go crazy and we would all be begging for cable again (at least for sports fans). I don’t need a freaking app for everything. I like one or two places where I can get what I need. 

2 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

Apple fucking sucks. I wouldn't have one if it wasn't for MLB. I just went through a half hour loop of password resets, security questions and 2FAs that I don't get with any other service. Fuck Apple.

I used to work for Apple corporate, could not agree more. 

17 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

I said it five years ago - Ala carte would go crazy and we would all be begging for cable again (at least for sports fans). I don’t need a freaking app for everything. I like one or two places where I can get what I need. 

Nobody is begging for cable because they are in on the fun

41 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

Blackout areas simply should not exist anymore.  Time to step out of the stone age

i might be off here but I thought they were more or less created to force people who lived close to go to the park instead of watching on tv.  It simply doesn't make sense for an entire state that doesn't have a baseball team to be blacked out.  And to be quite honest I'm not sure how mlb justifies it to themselves to try to NOT make more money there 

I thought blackouts were created to keep people from having access to the broadcasts via mlb.tv in order to ensure the maximum number of eyeballs on the home team's broadcast (and thus, their commercials).

In Chicago, it makes sense, because NBCSC paid good money for the rights and they don't want you watching mlb.tv instead.

In Iowa, it doesn't make sense because, presumably, most of the state's cable providers don't carry NBCSC so there's no other way to get the game.

Edited by CentralChamps21

3 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

Apple fucking sucks. I wouldn't have one if it wasn't for MLB. I just went through a half hour loop of password resets, security questions and 2FAs that I don't get with any other service. Fuck Apple.

It's pretty simple if you have an IPhone, which is how they do. (want you to buy into their ecosystem, not just one device or service)

1 hour ago, bmags said:

please internalize more.

This is the most polite STFU that I've ever read/heard.

19 minutes ago, Big Hurtin said:

It's pretty simple if you have an IPhone, which is how they do. (want you to buy into their ecosystem, not just one device or service)

That's kind of the point though. If my experiences all suck with a corporate entity it doesn't make it more likely to buy into it as some superior platform. 

36 minutes ago, CentralChamps21 said:

I thought blackouts were created to keep people from having access to the broadcasts via mlb.tv in order to ensure the maximum number of eyeballs on the home team's broadcast (and thus, their commercials).

In Chicago, it makes sense, because NBCSC paid good money for the rights and they don't want you watching mlb.tv instead.

In Iowa, it doesn't make sense because, presumably, most of the state's cable providers don't carry NBCSC so there's no other way to get the game.

If you are in the market for the mothership station, I can rationalize black outs. I still think it is stupid, but can understand protecting the home product. But to have half a dozen states where you can't watch the team closest to you is monumentally stupid to the future of the sport, that it defines all common sense. 

13 hours ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

Explain this to me like I'm a 4 year old.  Can I watch this damn game or not?

Yes u can and for free as long as u have the apple TV app on your smart TV. When u go to the Apple TV app you will see an Apple TV+ tab at the top . Just click on that tab and find the game. Very easy.I tested it last week on the 1st game. If u don't have an Apple account just set one up on itunes from any computer and use the same email and password to set up the Apple TV account.

However I am in California so I know nothing about blackout rules if you are in Chicago.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

45 minutes ago, Big Hurtin said:

It's also pretty simple as long as your TV is capable of getting the Apple TV app. I have an Android TV and I could still get the Apple TV app and I watched the game last week on it for free. I didnt need an iphone at all because I don't have one. It's very helpful though to have an itunes account. SO I used the same itunes email address and password I used to set up the Apple TV app on my smart ANdroid TV.

5 hours ago, MiddleCoastBias said:

That article has too many words and I don't know how to read.

Jason and Steve made it seem like it would be free to register and to watch these games (I assume you have to pay for the rest of the content and this is Apple's attempt to lure you in).

Is this correct? Is it free to create an account and watch?

Read my last 2 posts in this thread. I think I explained at all pretty well after several edits  😄

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

It's also pretty simple as long as your TV is capable of getting the Apple TV app. I have an Android TV and I could still get the Apple TV app and I watched the game last week on it for free. I didnt need an iphone at all because I don't have one. It's very helpful though to have an itunes account. SO I used the same itunes email address and password I used to set up the Apple TV app on my smart ANdroid TV.

Oh, yeah.  I meant the 2FA and account issues he was having.  Should have been more specific, I guess.

1 minute ago, Big Hurtin said:

Oh, yeah.  I meant the 2FA and account issues he was having.  Should have been more specific, I guess.

LOL Yea I tried to explain it like Harold wanted, as if he was a 4 year old ! That's why I had to edit it a few times because I thought ,oh crap I left this part out.

6 hours ago, CentralChamps21 said:

I would think there's a tipping point where if too many games go to exclusive deals, mlb.tv sales start to suffer. I can see people who are buying mlb.tv to see 150+ of their team's games deciding to get rid of it if that number dips too much farther.

I agree.  I pay for MLB.TV with the knowledge I am blacked out of the games in the state where I reside.  I don't like it but that's the deal.  This Apple+ crap steals 3 or so extra games from me.  I am not going through the hassle of signing up for yet another streaming service.  I'll follow tonight's game on Gameday and if this keeps up MLB can go scratch.

7 hours ago, CentralChamps21 said:

I would think there's a tipping point where if too many games go to exclusive deals, mlb.tv sales start to suffer. I can see people who are buying mlb.tv to see 150+ of their team's games deciding to get rid of it if that number dips too much farther.

I agree. Since our cable company will charge me on the May bill for MLB Extra Innings, I want to know if we're going to get a price break for the Friday games we're going to miss. We pay MLB to watch Sox games, since we live out of state, and this 'special deal' nonsense simply sucks. If other 'deals' start to materialize, paying for MLB won't be worth it unless they drastically reduce the price.

7 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

If you are in the market for the mothership station, I can rationalize black outs. I still think it is stupid, but can understand protecting the home product. But to have half a dozen states where you can't watch the team closest to you is monumentally stupid to the future of the sport, that it defines all common sense. 

Totally agree. It's 2022, blackouts belong in the 70's with Bill Witrz. Today it has gotten out of control. Try this on for size; living in Hawaii we are 2,500 miles from the closest major league city. We are blacked out for FIVE TEAMS! Dodgers, Angels, Padres, A's, and Giants. Obviously we can't go to the games, so that argument is lame. I can only get the Dodgers and Angels if I pay for the Regional Sports network. I can't get the other three teams ANYWHERE! I'm paying mlb.tv for a fraction of the Sox games I should get. Until Congress strips MLB of the anti trust exemption, this is the crap we're stuck with. 

2 hours ago, ScooterMcGuire said:

Had to create an account. 7 day free trial. Am not paying for a subscription. Does this mean I can't watch the next game for free?

Just amazed people are still asking that. I'm old and not even that tech savvy and even I can figure this out . I still dislike cell phones ! Should've done it for last weeks game to work out whatever kinks or problems you are having.

Apple TV is not Apple TV + .All you need is the Apple TV app which is free for most smart TV's . My only caveat is I have had an itunes account forever and they do have my financial info. If that made it easier to set up an Apple TV (used the same email and password as my itunes) account then great for me. But once u have Apple TV you just click on the Apple TV+ tab and the game is right there to also click on. Sounds like you applied for a free trial of Apple TV+ which was not necessary at all.

I'm in California so blackout rules for Sox games in the Chicagoland area do not apply to me.

One more thing I live in L.A.County about a 1/2 hr. from Dodger Stadium and I'm watching the followup game to the Sox game  Dodgers @ Reds and I'm not blacked out !

• Like 1