GT 4/15: Rays @ SOX, 6:10 PM CT, Apple TV+

6 minutes ago, priznr said:

disagree.  he's very good but his stats aren't any better (or as good) than several other cf'rs.    he's not the five tool guy many claim he is.  strong arm but not accurate, glove is shaky at times.       he's among the better outfielders .. but certainly not an elite.  sox fans just like to think he is.

Welcome Tigers fan!

Edited by maloney.adam

13 minutes ago, priznr said:

disagree.  he's very good but his stats aren't any better (or as good) than several other cf'rs.    he's not the five tool guy many claim he is.  strong arm but not accurate, glove is shaky at times.       he's among the better outfielders .. but certainly not an elite.  sox fans just like to think he is.

Elite is a term I don't throw around loosely.  Hell I used to get upset with guys in beer league softball camped under routine fly balls in CF dropping them and they are 35 yrs old without pro gloves and catching a bigger ball and really really far away from being the best of the best in the world.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

1 hour ago, priznr said:

i think benetti goes way overboard with word associations.  he canNOT keep his mouth shut!  more than half his shit is about non-baseball.  throw in

the fact his hr calls are horrible.

Yikes.  Hard disagree.  With all of this. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, chw42 said:

Cease was amazing

Burger carried the offense

Bullpen was nails outside of Bummer

I'm not real worried about only getting 3 runs considering we hit a ton of balls hard to the warning track. This easily could have been a 3 or 4 run win. 

The ball just wasn’t carrying in the chilly April air tonight.  I lost track of how many hard hit balls died on the track.  

2 minutes ago, Tnetennba said:

Yikes.  Hard disagree.  With all of this. 

I understand that broadcasting is subjective, but I'm with you. I think Benetti is already the best broadcaster in *all* sports. I don't watch college basketball or football, I know he calls those and I'm sure he does them well. But on MLB, NFL (I've heard him do those on radio) and NBA he's as good as it gets.

It's mind boggling to me that ESPN has passed him over for Monday Night Football & Sunday Night Baseball. Both of those booths have deservedly received a ton of criticism for years. Slotting in Benetti there (while he's already on ESPN's payroll!!) would have solved their problems. But just as a fan of the Sox, I'm very grateful to have him calling ~150 of our teams games every year. It's a golden age for White Sox baseball on the field and in the broadcast booth as well.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, priznr said:

Uh

Edited by Tnetennba
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, maxjusttyped said:

I understand that broadcasting is subjective, but I'm with you. I think Benetti is already the best broadcaster in *all* sports. I don't watch college basketball or football, I know he calls those and I'm sure he does them well. But on MLB, NFL (I've heard him do those on radio) and NBA he's as good as it gets.

It's mind boggling to me that ESPN has passed him over for Monday Night Football & Sunday Night Baseball. Both of those booths have deservedly received a ton of criticism for years. Slotting in Benetti there (while he's already on ESPN's payroll!!) would have solved their problems. But just as a fan of the Sox, I'm very grateful to have him calling ~150 of our teams games every year. It's a golden age for White Sox baseball on the field and in the broadcast booth as well.

I’m not a football fan and my only complaint about Jason is that he occasionally uses too many football references for my taste.  His basketball calls are bloody fantastic too.  If you think he’s subpar doing baseball, go consume some Sunday night ESPN, some Cleveland, Detroit, and Cubs calls, or some Rex Hudler and then get back to me.  It doesn’t take much effort to find far inferior baseball play by play.  We are spoiled to have Jason and I hope he is here for a very long time.  

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Elite is a term I don't throw around loosely.  Hell I used to get upset with guys in beer league softball camped under routine fly balls in CF dropping them and they are 35 yrs old without pro gloves and catching a bigger ball and really really far away from being the best of the best in the world.

Respectfully you and priznr have no idea what you're talking about when it comes to outfield defense. 

The fact that you even think a flyball in softball is even comparable to a big league fly ball is hilarious. 

Dropping a routine flyball is a lapse in concentration. Maybe it moves you down a notch below buxton in roberts case, but read and jump are 80% of outfield defense, speed about 15% and awareness (ie to track, wall, other outfielder locations) is about 5%. 

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Respectfully you and priznr have no idea what you're talking about when it comes to outfield defense. 

The fact that you even think a flyball in softball is even comparable to a big league fly ball is hilarious. 

Dropping a routine flyball is a lapse in concentration. Maybe it moves you down a notch below buxton in roberts case, but read and jump are 80% of outfield defense, speed about 15% and awareness (ie to track, wall, other outfielder locations) is about 5%. 

Maybe he was using softball as an illustrative point towards his emotions… rather than comparing skill sets like you’ve seemed to infer.

Just a thought… anyhow… back to being the village idiot I go now.