GT 4/16: Rays at Sox, 1:10 CT

Just now, maxjusttyped said:

1 whiff on 15 fastballs (so far) is pretty scary

Bad location and not enough velo on it right now. He left quite a few over the middle of the plate today. Good thing he got the slider over to Walls. 

1 minute ago, EloyJenkins said:

Is it presumptuous to say this is the best team in baseball? Won 3 series against the top division rival, the best up and coming team, and the perennial best AL team the last 5 years or so. All while missing 2 starting pitchers, 2 positional starters and a bunch of question marks. 

And LaRussa as manager...who insists on playing Leury over Bummer.

1 minute ago, chw42 said:

Bad location and not enough velo on it right now. He left quite a few over the middle of the plate today. Good thing he got the slider over to Walls. 

I don't think it's a velo issue at all. He wasn't down today, and velocity seems to be down across the league. So relative to other pitchers, he's either holding steady or improving. But the fastball definitely seems flat or something.

2 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

This is more ridiculous than Colome for twice the salary...

I think he is overrated.  There's nothing really lights out about him.  Sure paper reveals that but he must save his worst performances only when I watch him. He always seems to have to bail himself out. 

2 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

I know it is game 8 but blowing this save would have been soul crushing. Great win fellas. Glad we could hang on. 

That's just a bit of hyperbole but with VB tomorrow it's a solid win.

Best record in baseball with Mets losing.

Very very fortunate to have Walls up there.  Not pitching to Choi the right move with McGuire to block pitches now.

1 minute ago, caulfield12 said:

And LaRussa as manager...who insists on playing Leury over Bummer.

If any other manager kept his team winning with so many injuries there would be manager of the year talk. 

• Like 2

Just now, Texsox said:

If any other manager kept his team winning with so many injuries there would be manager of the year talk. 

Teams win despite their manager.  I'm not fond of the Rays manager. He always seems to fall short.

2 minutes ago, kitekrazy said:

I think he is overrated.  There's nothing really lights out about him.  Sure paper reveals that but he must save his worst performances only when I watch him. He always seems to have to bail himself out. 

The interesting thing is that he's right around that 85-86% mark for save conversions...whereas elite used to be considered 90%+.

I will give him credit for cutting down the runner at third...that turned out to be the key to the inning, that and walking Choi to get to the inexperienced fielding first Walls.

4 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

That's just a bit of hyperbole but with VB tomorrow it's a solid win.

Best record in baseball with Mets losing.

Very very fortunate to have Walls up there.  Not pitching to Choi the right move with McGuire to block pitches now.

I think it would have been bad for Liam. He is very hard on himself. The team also needs these early wins to get rolling. 

7 minutes ago, Texsox said:

After just 8 games?

That award almost always goes to managers who see their teams through 15-20 game positive swings from year to year in victories.

The Twins are down Buxton, Kiriloff and Sonny Gray now.  Every team in baseball has injuries due to a confluence of factors.

Edited by caulfield12