4/17 Games

BamaDoc

1 hour ago, runtheballdown said:

Bryan Ramos not only puts up great stats but looks like a ball player. He’s a big kid that can run. If he’s still playing great for the next month or so move him up and bring colas with him.

If they are planning to trade him, they should keep him down in W-S through the All-Star game in June...to build up his prospect portfolio.   Of course, the real test is the jump to AA, much better quality of pitching and less of an offense-friendly stadium and league in general.

Am I correct that Cespedes, regardless of how good his defense is or his homers/ power, that he’s not going to be seriously considered for the White Sox until he solves his strike out problem? Isn’t that his major concern that needs fixing.

Plus, how does one fix that. Learn patience? A better eye to tell a slider from a fastball? What do you do? 

28 minutes ago, vilehoopster said:

Am I correct that Cespedes, regardless of how good his defense is or his homers/ power, that he’s not going to be seriously considered for the White Sox until he solves his strike out problem? Isn’t that his major concern that needs fixing.

Plus, how does one fix that. Learn patience? A better eye to tell a slider from a fastball? What do you do? 

Here's an article about how Moncada cut his down from his abhorrent 2018 (33%) to his 2019 (27%). His 2020 was bad, but I'll give him a COVID pass, and 2021 was fine.

“I think he’s taking into account more situational type things,” Renteria said. “Instead of taking that borderline pitch that they would call a strike, for example, he might be more inclined to create a productive out and drive in a run and put the ball in play.

"It’s more baseball-oriented, not just numbers wise. It’s a baseball situation in which he is now understanding a little bit more, I have a chance to impact this in a positive way. (If) I don’t swing the bat, it’s a called third strike, I’m walking into the dugout and my guys are still out  there on the bases. I got a pitch I can handle, I can still manage. Put the ball in play, score that run and we score another point, it puts us in a better position. Ultimately it’s about scoring runs.”

Renteria emphasized that he didn’t want Moncada chasing pitches as he tries to be more aggressive. However, going after borderline pitches that are hittable instead of trying to work a walk as one of the most dangerous hitters on the team isn’t always the best approach.

https://www.nbcsports.com/chicago/white-sox/yoan-moncada-has-gone-strikeout-heaven-impactful-bat-heaven

Now, that could be a little different for Moncada because he had the most frustrating strikeouts known to man of just looking all the time, but it gives some insight.

Ramos will be top 100 this year or maybe top 50 if he keeps going. At this pace. He has Yoan and burger in from of him but  ina couple years that could change and he will only be 22 at that point in time. By then Moncoda will be approaching the end of his contract, burger will likely be traded and Ramos would be in line to be the next guy.

The earliest reviews on Ramos were very interesting, and now his play seems to be blowing up.  He could be a top prospect as this season goes on for a system that severely needs it.  I know we all muse about He Who Shall Not be Name, but hopefully we found another in Ramos, and don't deal him this time.

40 minutes ago, runtheballdown said:

Ramos will be top 100 this year or maybe top 50 if he keeps going. At this pace. He has Yoan and burger in from of him but  ina couple years that could change and he will only be 22 at that point in time. By then Moncoda will be approaching the end of his contract, burger will likely be traded and Ramos would be in line to be the next guy.

30 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

The earliest reviews on Ramos were very interesting, and now his play seems to be blowing up.  He could be a top prospect as this season goes on for a system that severely needs it.  I know we all muse about He Who Shall Not be Name, but hopefully we found another in Ramos, and don't deal him this time.

I'm not sure he's a top 100 prospect. Montgomery, Colas and Jose Rodriguez are all better than he is in my opinion so that would give the Sox 4 top 100 prospects. I'd just be very surprised to see Ramos jump those guys. If there's any chance that Ramos ends up at first base (and there is), they should try to headline a trade package with him. 

1 hour ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

I'm not sure he's a top 100 prospect. Montgomery, Colas and Jose Rodriguez are all better than he is in my opinion so that would give the Sox 4 top 100 prospects. I'd just be very surprised to see Ramos jump those guys. If there's any chance that Ramos ends up at first base (and there is), they should try to headline a trade package with him. 

Colas & Montgomery are near locks to be top 100 guys by season’s end IMO.  Ramos doesn’t need to jump them to start cracking top 100 lists.  As for Popeye, I had him & Ramos about even coming into the season and based on very early results (SSS) I’d bump Bryan ahead of him.  The reality is Ramos has excellent bat speed, plus power potential, and great plate discipline for such a young hitter.  And while it may not be a guarantee he can stick at 3B, it doesn’t appear to be a high likelihood problem at the moment.  I think when this season comes to a finish, Ramos is going to be a consensus top 100 prospect.

2 hours ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

the good news is not even sox first baseman prospects end up as first baseman.

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Colas & Montgomery are near locks to be top 100 guys by season’s end IMO.  Ramos doesn’t need to jump them to start cracking top 100 lists.  As for Popeye, I had him & Ramos about even coming into the season and based on very early results (SSS) I’d bump Bryan ahead of him.  The reality is Ramos has excellent bat speed, plus power potential, and great plate discipline for such a young hitter.  And while it may not be a guarantee he can stick at 3B, it doesn’t appear to be a high likelihood problem at the moment.  I think when this season comes to a finish, Ramos is going to be a consensus top 100 prospect.

Jim Callis talks about this on the FutureSox podcast tomorrow 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 4/18/2022 at 12:08 AM, caulfield12 said:

If they are planning to trade him, they should keep him down in W-S through the All-Star game in June...to build up his prospect portfolio.   Of course, the real test is the jump to AA, much better quality of pitching and less of an offense-friendly stadium and league in general.

Are minor league ASGs back?

On 4/18/2022 at 1:59 PM, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Jim Callis talks about this on the FutureSox podcast tomorrow 

Very good interview w/Jim Callis!  I think for sure we will have 2 if not 3 top 100 prospects in this system. Really enjoyed the podcast.