Tired of hearing about how little the Sox hitters strike out

CentralChamps21

18 hours ago, Jack Parkman said:

I'm pro-OBP and I think they're somewhat linked that the fewer strikeouts you make, the more outs you make. 

The whole point of offense is to not make outs. 

Show me this correlation you've just made up in your head.

Last year the two teams with the lowest k rate in baseball were:

Toronto and Houston.

Jack apparently thinks that's bad... those offenses were pretty damn elite. Those two teams also led baseball in wRC+. They were also 1st and 4th in OBP. I'm pretty sure not striking out is in fact very good.

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run

3 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

It just happens to be true for the Sox right now, so it must be true for all of baseball.

It's assuming that the majority of balls put into play will be outs, and if the hitters work counts instead of trying to, you know, hit the ball, they COULD end up walking...but will still strike out a lot.

19 hours ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Last year the two teams with the lowest k rate in baseball were:

Toronto and Houston.

Jack apparently thinks that's bad... those offenses were pretty damn elite. Those two teams also led baseball in wRC+. They were also 1st and 4th in OBP. I'm pretty sure not striking out is in fact very good.

There definitely is a trend towards trying to assemble lower K lineups. 

Yes, that approach has failed in the past and teams trying that have been outslugged but when you assemble a low K team that is still above average in power you get a great offense. 

You don't want slap hitters with no pop in the modern game but the ideal thing is having low k hitters who can slug the ball but those are of course not easy to find and if you buy them very expensive 

2015 you had the Royals with the lowest K percentage, and the Cubs with the worst, but they made the NLCS and won it all the following year.

Toronto had the fifth best (lowest) K percentage.

Toronto also had the highest wRC+ 117, with the Royals and Mets (#10/12) in the middle of the pack (99/98) and Cubs 17th at 96.

But the Royals far and away had the best MLB fielding, with Toronto second.  And that doesn’t even account for the bullpen and baserunning.

So the Royals were far from sluggers, just like the 2005 White Sox offense, but they were certainly an above average offense and that’s all you need when you have other aspects of the team that are outstanding or elite.

The Cubs, of course, were a totally different kind of team than the Royals the following year, so its hard to generalize such a “squishy” idea from a statistical standpoint.