Ballpark prices

Dick Allen

I attended my first game of the season yesterday and was astonished at the increase in prices. Domestic beer $12.25, Modelo $14.25. Hot dog $7.50, sausage $8.50. Usually I partake very little, but yesterday I noticed more than usual seemed to join me. It could just be it was so cold. It could be that it was Easter and many had a big meal already  or were planning one later. But there has to be a breaking point. Maybe most just go to a couple of games a year, and look at it like special occasion. I guess my question is will there be a point when you say sorry too much? No one in Chicago pays less for beer than sports venue. No one charges more. Just a total money grab.

• Fire 1

15 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

I attended my first game of the season yesterday and was astonished at the increase in prices. Domestic beer $12.25, Modelo $14.25. Hot dog $7.50, sausage $8.50. Usually I partake very little, but yesterday I noticed more than usual seemed to join me. It could just be it was so cold. It could be that it was Easter and many had a big meal already  or were planning one later. But there has to be a breaking point. Maybe most just go to a couple of games a year, and look at it like special occasion. I guess my question is will there be a point when you say sorry too much? No one in Chicago pays less for beer than sports venue. No one charges more. Just a total money grab.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/attendance

Look at the bottom 10.  It's obviously early and the White Sox will eventually finish in the 12-14 range as the weather improves…but 6 of the Bottom 10 are the entire AL Central and Pittsburgh…all Rust Belt or Midwest cities that have generally struggled since the 1994-95 strike and especially the 2007-09 financial crisis.  Surely the lockdown and lack of any significant moves this offseason didn’t help matters.  Fwiw, Cincy will end up with this group by the end of the year as well.  

For Sox fans, playing those other four divisional teams just isn’t going to cut it.

(Yes, Cards/Cubs/Brewers are the exceptions for so many reasons there’s no point in getting into that discussion.)

Edited by caulfield12

40 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

That is no surprise to some of us accused of being pro owners in the labor dispute.  Those multi-millionaire salaries will be paid for by someone and it won't be JR.

10 minutes ago, poppysox said:

That is no surprise to some of us accused of being pro owners in the labor dispute.  Those multi-millionaire salaries will be paid for by someone and it won't be JR.

“Elysian Park Grill: The staple hot dog choice for all Dodgers fans to enjoy. Fans typically invest in the $33 all you can eat food options in right field plaza to have unlimited Dodger Dogs, Vegan Hot Dogs, Going Yard Dodger Sausages, cracker jacks, and more. You can also find Elysian Park Grill on the loge level at the stadium.

According to mlb.com/dodgers, fans can bring outside food into Dodger Stadium during a game. All outside food must be put into a clear plastic bag that is smaller than 12″X12″X6″. You can read more about the outside food rules in that link from MLB.com.”

Generally, parking at the on-site Guaranteed Rate Field lots costs $20, but special event parking rates can range from $25 – $30. Sunday parking passes could also be available for $10. White Sox Day-of-Game parking and pre-paid parking pass for the 2021 season cost $25.

Dodger Stadium Parking Rates. Baba General Parking: $17 in advance and $25 at the gate. Oversized vehicles including limos and RVs are $40 in advance and $50 at the gate. General parking includes Lots 1-15 . Off-Site Parking: Lots 13 and 14 in red above cost just $5 at the gate

Shocking.  The Dodgers have had the highest MLB payroll for a number of years but charge less than the White Sox for most things inside the ballpark.  

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, poppysox said:

Why does Elon Musk charge what he does for a Tesla?  It’s not because of the high labor costs of workers in Shanghai… 

17-month salaries annually
Considering that the employee's basic salary in the Tesla Giga Shanghai factory is 5,000 Chinese Yuan ($773), I can only imagine that anything the people who assemble Tesla cars get on top of it is highly welcomed.2021年9月21日

56 minutes ago, poppysox said:

Yea I am sure if the owners won everything they wanted, these up charges wouldn't have happened 🙄 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

to address DAs post, I was pretty surprised. Obviously, feels like baseball orgs/vendors feel far more comfortable passing all costs onto fans to protect the same margins. I'm sure they saw uncertainty that all other restaurants faced in sourcing and labor,a nd were just like "just to be safe, let's increase prices 25%".

I get the going to games on a budget concept, but to me the reason to go to the game is to sit and have a polish and a beer. Otherwise I enjoy the game just fine at home. Will I buy a ticket package again if I have to be a monk at the games because now I can only really enjoy 2-3? Zero chance.

Carry-in Items

Guests are permitted to bring food items into the park provided they are in a clear plastic bag which will fit underneath their seat. Guests are permitted to bring in plastic bottles of pure water under one liter in size that are still sealed.

I do the above and always have. Buying food and beer in the park is for the rich and the financially irresponsible.

• Like 1

I'm not sure how much is determined by Levy and how much by the Sox. I'd have to assume the costs for labor and goods is up considerably as well. I'd be curious to see what their margins are last year v this year. Most companies I've seen are passing along the costs pretty well to the consumer and as you mentioned becomes how elastic or inelastic are prices? So far it's TBD and climbing. 

I always grab a bite at Kimski/Fried Chicken Pizza before the game. The food is better, the wait is minimal and the beer selection is solid. No need to grab food inside when you're already full. That said, I'm always going to have a few beers. 

I typically don't complain about the "cost of going to a game" topic because this is what entertainment is.  

But seeing the Sox charging $7-8 for a bottle of water is insane.   There should be outrage for this.  

I don't care if you charge $15 for a beer, but charging what they charge for a bottle of water or even Soda which they pay nickels for is gouging to the extreme. 

I've had season tickets since 2004 and really considering making this the last one.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, HOFHurt35 said:

I typically don't complain about the "cost of going to a game" topic because this is what entertainment is.  

But seeing the Sox charging $7-8 for a bottle of water is insane.   There should be outrage for this.  

I don't care if you charge $15 for a beer, but charging what they charge for a bottle of water or even Soda which they pay nickels for is gouging to the extreme. 

I've had season tickets since 2004 and really considering making this the last one.

Are you still able to bring in unopened water bottles? I know that doesn't really help when it is mid-summer and 90+ degrees and you have nowhere cool to keep it but just wondering.

Just now, southsider2k5 said:

The Sox are a weird combination of the cheapest ticket prices in town, but ridiculous everything else.  I haven't bought a beer at the game for years just for that reason.  When it hit double digits, I was done.

I was at Opening Day and bought 2 beers. I think I'm just going to continue to drink in the lot and then cut myself off from drinking when I enter the ballpark from here on out.

1 minute ago, Bob Sacamano said:

I was at Opening Day and bought 2 beers. I think I'm just going to continue to drink in the lot and then cut myself off from drinking when I enter the ballpark from here on out.

Patio Parties are one of the last great deals for this team.  the unlimited drink period, plus being able to carry about a couple of beers at the end actually makes for a pretty reasonable experience.

Tailgating is 100% the way to go though.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

Are you still able to bring in unopened water bottles? I know that doesn't really help when it is mid-summer and 90+ degrees and you have nowhere cool to keep it but just wondering.

The bag policy has ruined that a bit.   Back when you were allowed to carry in a tote or backpack, it was a no-brainer to pack a few bottles and even a bag of peanuts for the game.  Now with basically having to hand carry everything thru the gate, it's too much of a hassle.   Just too much happening at the gate, like going thru TSA.   

23 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

Yes, you can still bring in water.

1 minute ago, poppysox said:

I would say resorting to name-calling is a sign of ignorance.  You are an admin and resort to this crap...shame on you.

You might not like the name, but he has a fair point.  It's not like prices were cheap and just exploded after the lock out.  Prices have been going up forever, and would have even if the poor destitute owners got every ridiculous demand they made.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, poppysox said:

I love how poor an argument this is because a great example is Joel Embiid flexing on the 76ers' owners during the pandemic cuts:

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-basketball-nba-phi-devils-paycuts-can/76ers-devils-owner-changes-mind-wont-cut-salaries-idUSKBN21B3FH

On Monday, Harris’ company, Harris Blitzer Sports and Entertainment, had notified employees that they would be hit with temporary pay cuts starting April 15.

The reductions of up to 20 percent, aimed at at-will employees making more than $50,000, were to run through June 30 in an effort to recoup lost revenue in the wake of the coronavirus pandemic, which has forced the pause of every major sports league in the United States.

They announced they were changing course the same day Embiid, who has way less money than the owners, said he'd cover the cuts.

So clearly, the 76ers have money. They decided to try and fuck over their workers anyway until they got the bad PR. 

Anyway - price increase for tickets next year!

There's no CBA change. They took on the same money in the Harden-Simmons deal. Hell, they got money back from Simmons. You know they're getting big revenue from the playoffs + hype around the team.

They still decided the fans need to pay more.