Ballpark prices

Dick Allen

10 minutes ago, Quin said:

The Bloomberg article says in the tag line the team made less profit so not sure what exactly you're taking exception to.

Edited by raBBit

7 minutes ago, raBBit said:

The Bloomberg article says in the tag line said the team made less profit so not sure what exactly you're taking exception to.

Sports Business has a way around the paywall. My bad for forgetting that.

https://www.sportbusiness.com/2018/09/atlanta-falcons-concession-pricing-trades-small-revenue-dip-for-major-goodwill-gains/

With $2 hot dogs and bottomless soft drinks, $3 pizza and $5 cheeseburgers among the options, they were the lowest concession prices – by far – of any major sports team in the United States.

The Falcons’ ownership group, AMB Sports and Entertainment, anticipated a 20 per cent drop in concessions revenue on their final year in the old Georgia Dome stadium, and they were happy to trade this for goodwill from their fans. As stadium concessions revenue is a fraction of national income for NFL teams, it was a low-risk, high-reward strategy.

As it happens, the unexpectedly large 53-per-cent increase in volume meant revenues fell only seven per cent in year one at the Mercedes-Benz Stadium.

The move brought supplementary benefits. About 6,000 more fans per game entered the stadium earlier than they did in 2016, leading to shorter waiting times at the entrance gates, which improved security. And fans, feeling that they had more money in their pocket, spent 88 per cent more on merchandise on game days than in the previous year.

Basically, slashing prices on food made everything better as outlined here, except for a small dip in concession revenue. But they saw increases elsewhere, including merchandise and goodwill.

20 minutes ago, raBBit said:

Yeah it's not as if the price increases are unique to MLB stadiums. There are price increases everywhere and affecting all businesses. It sucks. America is not what it used to be.

Maybe corporations should stop using "inflation" as an excuse to price gouge. This is going on especially in the food and beverage industry where profits are at record highs for many producers/distributors while prices continue to be hiked under the guise of inflation. I guess that's what happens when you allow a select few in the beef, pork, produce industry to consolidate to a point in which they control and dictate pricing in the absence of competition; same story in the supply chain/logistics world as well. Turns out that commodities shouldn't have been turned into an avenue utilized by investment banks as investment opportunities instead of being treated as life-necessities that couldn't be traded/help/futured/moved for the sole purpose of profitability. 

Additionally, this is very much America; been trending this way with labor degradation and profitability driving all business practices in the defiance of moralistic standing for two+ decades now.

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run
  • Love 1

Bleachers and Brews is a ticket worth looking into. $30 for a lower level seat in the outfield and two domestic beers. 

Tailgating makes a huge difference as long as it doesn’t take forever to get into a lot like it did last year and it is allowed in the lot. I am still trying to understand why it isn’t allowed in certain lots other than crowd control or JR wanting people to eat and drink inside the park.

• Like 1

I don't see as many kids at games as I saw in past years... for whatever reason(s). . Mlb ballparks have turned into open air bars.  A lot of people come to games to drink as many beers as they can.  I was filing through the outfield concourse during the Opener for food and to get in line at the bathroom. There were a lot of people chugging beers who were oblivious to the game...not even watching it on monitors  As one might expect (even just  experiencing animosity  on sports fan forums) , bellicose fans in the stands spark up an occasional fight.  Take me out to the ballgame is  just not  buying peanuts and crackerjack or taking the kids to Disneyland anymore.  For a lot of fans, It's an outdoor bar with baseball.

15 minutes ago, raBBit said:

Yeah it's not as if the price increases are unique to MLB stadiums. There are price increases everywhere and affecting all businesses. It sucks. America is not what it used to be.

It's a little different. You have to go to the grocery store and buy food. You have to buy necessities. You don't have to buy $12.25 Miller Lites at a Sox game. For shit you don't have to buy, prices really haven't risen that much. Cases of beer cost about the same.  I was just wondering where others' tipping points were. Again, I went yesterday, maybe not the best day to observe, but there weren't people over indulging like I have seen at just about every game I have attended.  

• Like 2

Trade service mark-ups thru March of 2022.

While the supply chain has impacted pricing and impacted demand as supply has been limited, much of the rhetoric surrounding "inflation" is merely tied to corporate mark-ups being higher than they were before. Which again correlates directly to consolidation and the allowance of countless mergers and buyouts over the last few decades. 

35 minutes ago, Quin said:

Yeah the falcons and hawks games have 2 buck hot dogs! Basically all the cheap food is insanely cheap and they get you on alcohol....but its totally okay. Braves offer a fewer cheap items, but nothing like the basketball/football offerings. 

4 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

https://blog.cheapism.com/mlb-hot-dog-beer-prices/
Hot dog and beer prices at every MLB stadium…

Seems this is based on 2021 prices and doesn’t factor in 2022 increases.

You have not been to a Sox game in quite a long time if you believe that it was $7.50 for a beer last year. 

32 minutes ago, tray said:

I don't see as many kids at games as I saw in past years... for whatever reason(s). . Mlb ballparks have turned into open air bars.  A lot of people come to games to drink as many beers as they can.  I was filing through the outfield concourse during the Opener for food and to get in line at the bathroom. There were a lot of people chugging beers who were oblivious to the game...not even watching it on monitors  As one might expect (even just  experiencing animosity  on sports fan forums) , bellicose fans in the stands spark up an occasional fight.  Take me out to the ballgame is  just not  buying peanuts and crackerjack or taking the kids to Disneyland anymore.  For a lot of fans, It's an outdoor bar with baseball.

Probably because it's april. Family sundays in the summer are very popular, and it's very fun to bring my kids to games which is why I'd like to go more.

3 hours ago, Bob Sacamano said:

I was at Opening Day and bought 2 beers. I think I'm just going to continue to drink in the lot and then cut myself off from drinking when I enter the ballpark from here on out.

Pretty much what I plan on doing as well.  I was a bit taken back by $14.25 for a Modelo draft TBH.  I will happily enjoy a few from a $10 6 pack beforehand and not spend on beer inside the park.

Edited by Tnetennba

20 minutes ago, pettie4sox said:

I might be a colossal cheapskate, but I never buy concessions at ball games because of the prices!  Same with the movie theater.  I know that's a part of the experience but maybe people are rolling the dough better than me?

You are not alone. As a single income family we are careful with concession spending and come up to a game only once a year -- which kinda sucks since cable tv isn't worth the cost to us either and any Sox streaming is blacked out. Nevertheless, choices are choices...

2 hours ago, Kyyle23 said:

Man make up your mind, either the owners were always gonna raise the prices and this fucking sucks, or the owners raised the prices because of the new CBA.  You can't argue both sides here because you are still mad that most people argued the opposite of you over the off-season CBA discussions.  Not to mention that your initial assertion of "the raised prices being the fault of the CBA" is wrong 

I don't care whether people agree with me or not.  My argument has always been the fans will be the loser.  

3 minutes ago, poppysox said:

I don't care whether people agree with me or not.  My argument has always been the fans will be the loser.  

Whatever the result of the CBA negotiations were, we always were going to be the loser as prices increase regardless. This is what you are not grasping. It's not a direct result from that or being on one side or the other. 

Edited by Bob Sacamano
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Maybe corporations should stop using "inflation" as an excuse to price gouge. This is going on especially in the food and beverage industry where profits are at record highs for many producers/distributors while prices continue to be hiked under the guise of inflation. I guess that's what happens when you allow a select few in the beef, pork, produce industry to consolidate to a point in which they control and dictate pricing in the absence of competition; same story in the supply chain/logistics world as well. Turns out that commodities shouldn't have been turned into an avenue utilized by investment banks as investment opportunities instead of being treated as life-necessities that couldn't be traded/help/futured/moved for the sole purpose of profitability. 

Additionally, this is very much America; been trending this way with labor degradation and profitability driving all business practices in the defiance of moralistic standing for two+ decades now.

You're opening this up to a much larger scope than the conversation requires but inflation is absolutely real and it is not a guise. The resource shortages are compounding the issues to be even more impactful. Suppliers of commodities and resources have limited availability basically across the board and they have to make business decisions on which customers they are going to prioritize in fulfilling orders. Of course, they typically choose the large MNC's which is killing smaller companies. The less competition makes the MNC's stronger and allows them to increase prices with fewer alternatives for sourcing. The inflation and difficult business environment is completely and directly a result of bad policy. 

1 hour ago, tray said:

Opening day is an entirely different crowd than most other games. You have your die hard fans but it is otherwise a lot of young people who are there for instagram pics, to be social and to get drunk with their friends. I went to Opening Day and it was a pretty awful crowd. I went yesterday and it was a bunch of kids and families (like most Sundays). In short, Opening Day is an exception to your "typical Sox game" and your experience that day shouldn't set your expectation for the next game you go to.

10 minutes ago, SCCWS said:

It is only a matter of time until the owners will be installing pay toilets at the stadiums. 

Guys with tight prostates will have to put in another quarter after getting the stream started takes a bit longer than it used to.

Edited by chitownsportsfan
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Don't give them any ideas. I wonder how much Guaranteed Rate pays for their advertisement on the grass in front of the dugouts. 

Overall it's about $2 million per year for everything, but the White Sox are also getting an extra $1 million a year from US Cellular for breaking their previous contract.

3 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

Whatever the result of the CBA negotiations were, we always were going to be the loser as prices increase regardless. This is what you are not grasping. It's not a direct result from that or being on one side or the other. 

My "grasp" of this subject is just fine.  When costs go up prices go up.  If costs stay the same or go down...we have no idea if prices will go up or down.  The problem some of you have is that you suspect prices always go up because JR and most owners are greedy.  What I can't grasp is how long the game can survive this out-of-control cost to the ball fan.

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, poppysox said:

Yea but you are drawing an extremely disingenuous straight line from the CBA to the vending price jumps and couching it with your argument before that they should just let the owners win.  

• Like 1