Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Dick Allen

Ballpark prices

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

I'm not asking for inexpensive, I'm asking for -affordable-

Fwiw I don’t really think $6 per 12 ounces is all that expensive, certainly not cheap and it should be cheaper but I’m pretty accustomed to seeing 5-7 bucks for a beer at bars these days. But it is definitely absurd to expect a family of four to spend like $150 dollars per game. 
 

The bigger issue is food and soft drinks imo, I can’t even imagine what left field would be like if you get drunk on the cheap. 

Edited by mqr

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/18/2022 at 9:14 AM, MiddleCoastBias said:

Damnit, Ray, where were you last August! 

I'm old and old school. I don't think I'll live any more years drinking bottled water than drinking tap water or from a water fountain. Paying for bottled water seemed really strange when they 1st started doing it.  Heck we drank out of hoses enough when we were kids .We have no idea if that water is actually any better and haven't there been quite a few lawsuits regarding bottled water ?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The 16oz cans in the Midwest Beers stands are $10.75, I don't believe that's up from last year.  

I'd been going to those the last few years since they carried High Life while Miller wasn't a partner.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Greg won't comment on the inflation posts cause if he does the thread will be closed within seconds. Greg has a way of ending threads after opinionating.

I will say Prices at the ballyard are obscene. Amazingly the best deals as somebody said are the ones where u pay 33 bucks all you can eat and drink. Otherwise if you stay the whole game. Burger or sandwich and soda before game about 20 bucks. Hot dog during game 5 bucks? Bottled water 8-10 bucks? 2 beers. 16 bucks. Peanuts 10 bucks for grand total of what, 59 bucks. If you bring wife and two kids? Wow, quadruple that cept for the beer. God bless anybody willing to go to a baseball game and do it right. Peace out.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, greg775 said:

Greg won't comment on the inflation posts cause if he does the thread will be closed within seconds. Greg has a way of ending threads after opinionating.

I will say Prices at the ballyard are obscene. Amazingly the best deals as somebody said are the ones where u pay 33 bucks all you can eat and drink. Otherwise if you stay the whole game. Burger or sandwich and soda before game about 20 bucks. Hot dog during game 5 bucks? Bottled water 8-10 bucks? 2 beers. 16 bucks. Peanuts 10 bucks for grand total of what, 59 bucks. If you bring wife and two kids? Wow, quadruple that cept for the beer. God bless anybody willing to go to a baseball game and do it right. Peace out.

Doing it right on the South Side for me includes a Cuban Comet sandwich and a freshly made waffle cone filled with ice cream....and yes it's way too expensive but I don't do it too often so I do indulge....oh I forgot about a hot dog or polish since I cannot resist the grilled onion smell.  

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If y'all want to talk politics, there are plenty of other websites for that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, wegner said:

Doing it right on the South Side for me includes a Cuban Comet sandwich and a freshly made waffle cone filled with ice cream....and yes it's way too expensive but I don't do it too often so I do indulge....oh I forgot about a hot dog or polish since I cannot resist the grilled onion smell.  

What you described has to be close to 40-50 bucks I'd imagine. One big LOL. Not at you, but the system. Unless you are rolling in dough or just flash the credit card at all times, good luck to ya. Modern America sports have eliminated for many what were my favorite memories as a kid. My grandfather would come over to our house, pick me up and drive us to a Cub game during the summer (he was the only member of the family who was a Cub fan and I'd go to Cub games with him in the day and Sox games with my dad at night). He'd buy tickets at the park, prolly between 5 and 10 bucks at the time. I remember getting one of those little pizzas during the game and maybe a hot dog and soda. He would drive us, not sure where he found a parking lot at cub games, but had to pay parking. Probably set him back even a little at those low prices back then to be at a game with the grandkid. Now? Gramps better have a lotta disposable retirement income to take the grandkid(s) to a game and do it right.

Edited by greg775

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As people have said already it just comes down to profit. Where in the supply/demand chart do prices land? For some beer prices and ballpark food is elastic, for some it's inelastic. 

$1 beer for Sox, Sell 100 beers at $12 = $1,100 profit

or

$1 beer for Sox, Sell 200 beers at $7 = $1,200 profit

 

The Sox couldn't care less about the price, they care about optimizing the profit that comes along with selling said beers. That said, the problem is they never run an experiment to the downside, just to the upside. I haven't followed it much, but wonder did the Twins bring back their lower prices on items this year?

 

FWIW, the best deal in the park remains the Cutwater margaritas. $10.25 for a 12oz can and 13% alcohol. They put it over ice. Breaks out to basically $3-5 drinks against a beer depending on AVB you're having. Perfect for a warm, sunny ballgame. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, he gone. said:

As people have said already it just comes down to profit. Where in the supply/demand chart do prices land? For some beer prices and ballpark food is elastic, for some it's inelastic. 

$1 beer for Sox, Sell 100 beers at $12 = $1,100 profit

or

$1 beer for Sox, Sell 200 beers at $7 = $1,200 profit

 

The Sox couldn't care less about the price, they care about optimizing the profit that comes along with selling said beers. That said, the problem is they never run an experiment to the downside, just to the upside. I haven't followed it much, but wonder did the Twins bring back their lower prices on items this year?

 

FWIW, the best deal in the park remains the Cutwater margaritas. $10.25 for a 12oz can and 13% alcohol. They put it over ice. Breaks out to basically $3-5 drinks against a beer depending on AVB you're having. Perfect for a warm, sunny ballgame. 

Are these the margaritas the vendors walk around with?  Or are they served in a concession stand?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, he gone. said:

FWIW, the best deal in the park remains the Cutwater margaritas. $10.25 for a 12oz can and 13% alcohol. They put it over ice. Breaks out to basically $3-5 drinks against a beer depending on AVB you're having. Perfect for a warm, sunny ballgame. 

Ooh thanks for the tip. I'm definitely going to be more conscientious on spending this year at the park. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

If I go to a Sox game hungry I want famous corned beef sandwich before game and fries with sprite.

During game I want one bottled water and bag of peanuts.

Maybe, doubtful but maybe in the 8th inning a hot dog.

What does that, parking, and two very good box seats set me back for a game this summer. (Not a very good risk/reward purchase when it could rain during game or be unseasonably cold, etc).?

(And also what could bargain. hunters get all those items for?)

Edited by greg775

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, he gone. said:

As people have said already it just comes down to profit. Where in the supply/demand chart do prices land? For some beer prices and ballpark food is elastic, for some it's inelastic. 

$1 beer for Sox, Sell 100 beers at $12 = $1,100 profit

or

$1 beer for Sox, Sell 200 beers at $7 = $1,200 profit

 

The Sox couldn't care less about the price, they care about optimizing the profit that comes along with selling said beers. That said, the problem is they never run an experiment to the downside, just to the upside. I haven't followed it much, but wonder did the Twins bring back their lower prices on items this year?

 

FWIW, the best deal in the park remains the Cutwater margaritas. $10.25 for a 12oz can and 13% alcohol. They put it over ice. Breaks out to basically $3-5 drinks against a beer depending on AVB you're having. Perfect for a warm, sunny ballgame. 

Close but not quite. There is a bean counter in the back room who also knows that if you sell 100 bears for $1,100 profit  or 200 for $1,200 you increased profit by $100. But you probably have to increase staffing to accommodate for double the sales.  So the $100 is somewhat less when you include the extra payroll + expenses. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 4/18/2022 at 11:40 AM, SpringfieldFan said:

As if any of us wouldn't charge as much as people would be willing to spend if we had a business. The issue is that its worth it to enough people to spend that kind of money on those concessions. Our modern day culture absolutely craves entertainment so it will pay the premium for it and sets the price for everyone. I just don't see how a vendor would be satisfied to sell out their product for less than most are willing to pay, and I really don't see how for those that, for example, only "kind of" like Italian beef, can be charged less for it that those who really love it.

I present to you Mercedes Benz stadium in Atlanta.... https://mercedesbenzstadium.com/food-beverage/

$1.50 hot dogs

$6 for a chicken finger plate

$2 for a pop or a water

$3 nachos

Premium beer $9/ Domestics $7

 

etc....

This is a brand new, state of the art stadium, btw.   How can they offer budget items but teams like the Sox can't?

 

 

ETA: I guess I should've read the entire thread before posting this.  Living down here, Arthur Blank has really earned quite a bit of goodwill from fans for the food deals.  People love going to MB.

Edited by mmmmmbeeer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I noticed that at some point last season the city was allowing the vendors outside the L stop on 35th selling water, pop, Gatorade, and peanuts to also sell beer and those little airline sized bottles of booze.   They were out there again opening day.   I think it was a $2 a beer.   Not sure how long they will allow that to continue but it's a pretty good deal for some before game beers if you did not bring your own.

The Sox also brought back the two drafts and a bleacher ticket but it is now $27.  Still a good deal.

https://www.mlb.com/whitesox/tickets/specials/bleachers-and-brews

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Quin said:

If y'all want to talk politics, there are plenty of other websites for that.

you can do it at covers dot come political board but it gets pretty absurd really fast.  There truly isn't a classy place to talk politics since the buster has gone.  I don't even see many of the older posters that used that form exclusively anymore. 

 

Sad times.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, wegner said:

Doing it right on the South Side for me includes a Cuban Comet sandwich and a freshly made waffle cone filled with ice cream....and yes it's way too expensive but I don't do it too often so I do indulge....oh I forgot about a hot dog or polish since I cannot resist the grilled onion smell.  

Yes. I have a Cuban sandwich and one of the beers before the game and a churro about the 6th inning.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, ptatc said:

Yes. I have a Cuban sandwich and one of the beers before the game and a churro about the 6th inning.

Perfect....I've enjoyed the Ice Cream around the 7th.  Nice way to finish the game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, mmmmmbeeer said:

I present to you Mercedes Benz stadium in Atlanta.... https://mercedesbenzstadium.com/food-beverage/

$1.50 hot dogs

$6 for a chicken finger plate

$2 for a pop or a water

$3 nachos

Premium beer $9/ Domestics $7

 

etc....

This is a brand new, state of the art stadium, btw.   How can they offer budget items but teams like the Sox can't?

 

 

ETA: I guess I should've read the entire thread before posting this.  Living down here, Arthur Blank has really earned quite a bit of goodwill from fans for the food deals.  People love going to MB.

Example well taken. The resource I quickly stumbled across had nearly every stadium selling hot dogs for $4-$6.  I’d be interested to know if Atlanta concessions make enough sales to have better profit then the others. I’m sure there’s a sweet spot somewhere.

 Regarding water, I feel it should be affordable and/or allow carry ins because that’s a public health and safety issue IMO.

Edited by SpringfieldFan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, 35thstreetswarm said:

Are these the margaritas the vendors walk around with?  Or are they served in a concession stand?

Served at those craft beer stands. They believe they're doing Margaritas and Mai Tai's at those stands. Both of those are like 13% ABV. Great for a round of golf btw. 

The section i get them in is 128 at top. 

Just FYI i believe the Palomas and mules are like 7%. Just a disclaimer depending on what your goal is ... aka get loose for a cheaper price or just buying for flavor. 

FWIW i actually think it's the best canned margarita out there - they put two shots of tequila in there... not some sort of malt liquor masquerading as liquor. 

 

https://www.cutwaterspirits.com/canned-cocktails/tequila-lime-margarita/

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, SCCWS said:

Close but not quite. There is a bean counter in the back room who also knows that if you sell 100 bears for $1,100 profit  or 200 for $1,200 you increased profit by $100. But you probably have to increase staffing to accommodate for double the sales.  So the $100 is somewhat less when you include the extra payroll + expenses. 

this is true. i actually typed up a whole extra paragraph on labor costs, but then thought it was getting too far into the weeds for its purpose and deleted. refrigeration costs, shipping costs, labor costs, garbage cost, extra security costs, etc.

then does it lead to more food consumption drunk? clothing purchases? etc. how does that affect staffing?

End of day they've likely done more research than any of us on this topic. a $10 beer is expensive to most and the ones that are cutting consumption due to price probably aren't buying at $9, $11, or $13. Likewise those who are creatures of habit and want to go to a game and be nostalgic and have a cold one on a hot (hopefully soon) summer day will likely buy regardless of those few dollars. 

There does seem to be plenty of demand for the patio parties and those RF seats that are all-inclusive though ... same with bleachers and brews deal. Economically for Sox probably could be a good idea to figure out some sort of upper deck v. lower deck pricing models. Aka, cheaper beer prices up there, cheaper food prices up there. Generally speaking those buying the UD seating are going to be more price sensitive.  Not sure you can pull that off PR wise ... kind of have/have-not vibes. But think they could probably introduce more incentives on 300 level whether that be different pricing or more "all inclusive" seating options in the UD and would likely be successful. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would be good with modestly priced traditional ballpark staples: a couple bucks each for a hot dog, small soda, cheapo nachos or popcorn. If you want polish sausage, gourmet burgers, loaded nachos filling a helmet, imported beverages, etc. then yes, go ahead and price them out the wazoo. If you want a special dining experience then you should expect to be willing to pay, and pay generously. If the food is just incidental, that's different.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I believe Sox also have highest parking in MLB

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×