How Concerned Should We Be?

Chicago White Sox

34 minutes ago, soxfan49 said:

I'm aware that it's not realistic but you said "if everything goes right." If everything goes right, he reaches his potential everywhere.

Honestly for Robert I think Javy Baez might be the best comp for him. 

I don't see him ever walking enough to be Mike Cameron. 

Eloy and Robert are basically the same guy at the plate, except Robert is a freak athlete. 

Edited by Jack Parkman
  • Haha 7

55 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

If everything goes as it's been going this year with Robert, he's out of baseball at the end of his contract. 

Remember how bad he was in 2020 too. 

To categorize Robert's 2020 season as bad doesn't seem fair to me.  Idk if Robert becomes Willie Mays, Mike Cameron or worse.  Neither do you.  It is a safer bet to project him to be Mike Cameron or out of baseball since there aren't alot of Willie Mays out there.  

3 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

If everything goes right he's some where in that rarefied air between Buxton and Trout...

I know he has potential but I wish his teammates specifically would stfu about the Trout comparison.  Trout was an absolute fucking beast from the moment he hit the league and never looked back.  He is a bonafide top 10 all time player.  Robert at this point is one of the most exciting players in the game when he's locked in, but just as often he's impossible to watch when he's scuffling.  

• Like 5

24 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

If everything goes right he's some where in that rarefied air between Buxton and Trout...

Comparing Robert and Buxton is valid at this point  While both appear to be capable of flying in 'rarified air', neither has been off the ground long enough to see all those talents become realized. i.e. we're still, in great part, looking at potential with both of them.
Trout is a very different animal. If his career were to somehow end today (NOOOOOOOOO!!!!), he is a first ballot Hof'er. Potential - fully realized.

Edited by FoxForce2
  • Like 2

37 minutes ago, FoxForce2 said:

Comparing Robert and Buxton is valid at this point  While both appear to be capable of flying in 'rarified air', neither has been off the ground long enough to see all those talents become realized. i.e. we're still, in great part, looking at potential with both of them.
Trout is a very different animal. If his career were to somehow end today (NOOOOOOOOO!!!!), he is a first ballot Hof'er. Potential - fully realized.

It is valid to a certain extent to  compare Robert and Buxton.  However, Buxton's first season was 2015(only 46 games) but he has been at it quite a bit longer than Robert.  So Minnesota fans have been waiting a good amount of time for Buxton, so I think White Sox fans should be a little patient with Robert since this is his 2nd full season.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, soxfan49 said:

That has nothing to do with just injuries or just slumps or just the manager or just the FO. That has nothing to do with anything other than when everything comes together, they stink.

Debatable on the injury part and the front office part. 2B is a black hole offensively because of the front office. The bullpen stinks because of the front office and scouting. Because of injuries the Sox have had 7, 8 and 9 hitters in the lineup the same day who are incapable of producing offensively. The odds of winning games become abysmal when you have three automatic outs in the lineup, sometimes four and injuries also decimate the top end of your starting rotation. 

It's unfortunate, but those are tangible reasons the Sox stink: injuries and horrible front office/talent aquisition people and evaluators who have no talent on the bench available in case of injury.

Edited by greg775

3 minutes ago, RG23SoxFan said:

It is valid to a certain extent to  compare Robert and Buxton.  However, Buxton's first season was 2015(only 46 games) but he has been at it quite a bit longer than Robert.  So Minnesota fans have been waiting a good amount of time for Buxton, so I think White Sox fans should be a little patient with Robert since this is his 2nd full season.

I don't disagree. But disabling/impairing injuries have almost become precedent with many young high-end talents across the league. As it stands, Luis and Buxton are in pretty much the same boat.

24 minutes ago, RG23SoxFan said:

Great post. 

I still believe in a lot of guys on this team. The old guys and Eloy, not so much. 

I think Robert will figure it out eventually this year. 

I think Abreu/Grandal/Pollock are just old and declining

Idk what to think about Burger and Sheets. Complete wild cards

Leury and Harrison suck. Get Yolbert up here. Play Harrison for the D in the meantime. 

I think Moncada will be fine, but I'm a bit concerned about how bad he was in the spring. 

Eloy will be Jorge Soler if he figures out how to elevate. 

Edited by Jack Parkman
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Jack Parkman said:

Great post. 

I still believe in a lot of guys on this team. The old guys and Eloy, not so much. 

I think Robert will figure it out eventually this year. 

I think Abreu/Grandal/Pollock are just old and declining

Idk what to think about Burger and Sheets. Complete wild cards

Leury and Harrison suck. Get Yolbert up here. Play Harrison for the D in the meantime. 

I think Moncada will be fine, but I'm a bit concerned about how bad he was in the spring. 

Eloy will be Jorge Soler if he figures out how to elevate. 

I agree on Eloy.  Soler seems like a good comp for him.  Like you mentioned, Abreu/Grandal/Pollock are the back side of their careers but I still think they have something left.  I wish Moncada would come back soon as it improves the lineup considerably.

2 hours ago, RG23SoxFan said:

I agree on Eloy.  Soler seems like a good comp for him.  Like you mentioned, Abreu/Grandal/Pollock are the back side of their careers but I still think they have something left.  I wish Moncada would come back soon as it improves the lineup considerably.

I think Eloy is a much better overall hitter than Soler. He just needs to stay healthy which seems unlikely unfortunately. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Jack Parkman said:

Honestly for Robert I think Javy Baez might be the best comp for him. 

I don't see him ever walking enough to be Mike Cameron. 

Eloy and Robert are basically the same guy at the plate, except Robert is a freak athlete. 

He showed a lot more plate discipline last year to fall into that comp. And his K percentage was way down as well.

Just now, Jack Parkman said:

I've been very disappointed in Robert's plate discipline this year. If he gets back what he did last year, you're right. 

Well any player who was out for a week in this cold weather with pitchers having a clear advantage is in trouble...if he was struggling in June and July it would be much more of an issue. 

Hitting as a team is so contagious...and vice versa for cold streaks.

On 4/30/2022 at 1:23 PM, greg775 said:

Debatable on the injury part and the front office part. 2B is a black hole offensively because of the front office. The bullpen stinks because of the front office and scouting. Because of injuries the Sox have had 7, 8 and 9 hitters in the lineup the same day who are incapable of producing offensively. The odds of winning games become abysmal when you have three automatic outs in the lineup, sometimes four and injuries also decimate the top end of your starting rotation. 

It's unfortunate, but those are tangible reasons the Sox stink: injuries and horrible front office/talent aquisition people and evaluators who have no talent on the bench available in case of injury.

I didn't say injuries aren't a part of it or the shitty FO isn't a part of it. I'm saying you can't say it's just the fault of 1 guy or 1 area. It's a combination of everyone and everything being terrible

• Like 1

This was about as terrible a start possible for this team as you could ask for. Mainly because Abreu, TA, Robert, Grandal, and Vaughn all should be able to carry this lineup and none have been capable of doing it. Harrison and Leury have been wastes of $$ and roster spots. I don’t expect Yoan being here to turn their fortunes around because this team will only go as far as TA and Robert will take them. 

And I’m really sad to say it but I wouldn’t be surprised if Rick Hahn gives Eloy the Nick Madrigal treatment at the deadline if they’re still in it at that time, hell even if they’re not. 

Edited by Rey21

9 minutes ago, Rey21 said:

This was about as terrible a start possible for this team as you could ask for. Mainly because Abreu, TA, Robert, Grandal, and Vaughn all should be able to carry this lineup and none have been capable of doing it. Harrison and Leury have been wastes of $$ and roster spots. I don’t expect Yoan being here to turn their fortunes around because this team will only go as far as TA and Robert will take them. 

And I’m really sad to say it but I wouldn’t be surprised if Rick Hahn gives Eloy the Nick Madrigal treatment at the deadline if they’re still in it at that time, hell even if they’re not. 

Of course, Eloy would go to a team like the Astros or Blue Jays and transform into Yordan Alvarez.

3 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Of course, Eloy would go to a team like the Astros or Blue Jays and transform into Yordan Alvarez.

Most likely, it really feels like there’s a black cloud over this team and front office and they don’t have the right people in place to help get them out from under it 

34 minutes ago, Rey21 said:

Who would want Eloy right now? Nobody would give up anything useful for him. He's owed a lot of money, hits the ball on the ground far too often, can't pick a batting stance, hurts himself taking a piss, almost injures teammates *often* and can't field for shit

• Haha 1